Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Entry level engineering jobs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any left in this town?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on the field. EE's and software engineers are still in demand. Mechanical not so much. Although Mechanical engineers with the ability to create software are and will continue to be in huge demand. There's very few of them and an ever increasing workload due to increasingly complex powertrains, suspensions and active safety systems.

Most entry level jobs will be contract not direct.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the local contract houses. Aerotek, MSX, Kelly Technical, and Manpower are a few I can recall right now. The jobs are mostly short term temporary. However, it's a good way to gain some work experience to build up the resume. These companies post regularly on Michigan works. One recruiter told me they prefer hiring from that site because they are not charged to use it like they are on Monster.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, here's an article from dice.com on the current Detroit-area job market. (A bit more about IT than engineering.)

http://career-resources.dice.c om/it-job-market/Q1-2007/detro it.shtml

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you speak fluent Spanish? If so I have a lead.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an EE friend having a tough time finding work. Are many companies hiring for entry level positions? He's trying to decide whether to give up and move.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna give some advice along the lines of Cam and Ndavies.

I don't think there are many companies (locally) hiring "entry level" folks, unless you just knocked it out at a prestigious program.

What do exist are Contract and Contract to Hire positions. These are rarely posted on any websites, the recruiter would get way too many emails.

When a recruiter gets a requirement, they usually hop on a Job Site and start searching resumes.

Your best bet as an entry level applicant, is to take your Sr. Design Project and use as many buzz words as possible from it on your resume.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about engineering, but anyone with SAP knowledge sure is in demand.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4423
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad just retired from DCX...ahem...Chrysler and his department had hired a number of recent grads prior to his departure. Several of them were from Michigan Tech. One girl was 22 so I guess certain areas are hiring.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother has to use SAP for scientific applications where he works. He hates it with a passion.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that with SAP, but they are adding customers in droves, I think they just past 100,000 companies that have installed it.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's because accountants control the spending - scientists and other technical people just get screwed

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.