Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Cool Things To Do on Memorial Day Weekend « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9274
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard this morning on WDET's message board of the poetry reading/acoustic music at the Zeitgeist Theater on Michigan Avenue...just got a confirmation from Audra Kubat that she'll be there after 8 o'clock.

Friday and Saturday are a collection of DJs at Foran's Irish Pub on Woodward, brought together by the fine folks at PeopleMoverProductions. No cover if you're there before 10, bring your glow sticks to wave in lovely Amanda's face for some gentle encouragement and a positive response with your beer!

Seems to be some huge event at Hart Plaza, they've caged in the entire area...even moreso than for the Hoes that came Down last weekend!! heh Yeah, once again Movement/DEMF

Of course, Sunday will be our picnic, but afterwards at Cliff Bell's...Audra will be playing with Silent Violet with an $8 cover around nine o'clock.

(yeah, I know there is more to life than Audra, but to have her onstage twice in one weekend is a treat. First in the midst of her most comfortable crowd...the Coffeehousers...where she blooms in a most extraordinary way, then again in the luscious surroundings of Cliff Bell's where she promises to show off a new tune or two on their piano...a new venue for her harmonic wandering, meandering, and BEING.)

Monday, I just might have to stage a cookout in my courtyard...if the rains hold out. No promises until I get a few RSVPs. Better if there are leftovers from the picnic...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the Fourth Friday event at Campus Martius today...

Thornetta Davis 5:30
Mitch Ryder 7:30
The Flask 9:30

http://www.theworldiscoming.co m/4thFridayswithFord.html

Gannon

Post Number: 9277
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOPS, yeah, how could I forget about Thornetta?!

Looks like I'll be biking it...see ya tonight, Kathleen!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see, Cool Things to Do on Memorial Day Weekend.... hmmmmm....

Here's a novel idea - attend a Memorial Day service or event to honor those who have given their lives in the service of our country!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GP War Memorial will be presenting its annual Memorial Day Service at 10AM on Monday. A very impressive ceremony, concluding with a fly-by of two F-16's.The names of all service men from GP who gave their lives from WWI to the present are read,and its the best hour you could ever spend.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea - I am going to talk to the Mrs about going to a service for Vets!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Gannon. I didn't make it down there...was going to, but it didn't work out. And you probably noted, Dave was not on the Thornetta gig. In fact, he played earlier down there from 2:30-5:30 with another group, and he has an 8pm gig elsewhere tonight. Hope it was all wonderful fun!!!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Memorial Day event....

Annual Detroit Firemen’s Association Memorial Day Tribute, Elmwood Cemetery, Monday, May 28, 2007, 9am. In honor of local firemen who have given their lives in service to our community, a Firemen’s parade will begin at 9am at the corner of Lafayette and Mt. Elliott Avenue and proceed west on Lafayette to McDougall where participants will enter Elmwood Cemetery and proceed to the Firemen’s Lot for a remembrance ceremony. A bell will be rung in remembrance of all firefighters who have died in the past year and a floral tribute will be given to their families. Open to the public.
http://elmwoodhistoriccemetery .org/PDF/S075.pdf

Gannon

Post Number: 9282
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silent Violet is going places. Got to see her set before Audra Kubat went up to mesmerize the whole crowd into falling in love with her (as she struggles to release that gift-flow that she somehow STILL doesn't really recognize).

Silent Violet is the stage name for Miriam McCarthy, a fresh and very innovative (and hilariously funny) keyboardist and singer/songwriter...she's got her schtick and is a blast to witness perform.

I'd highly recommend catching her before she makes it big...that is pretty much all the reaction I could muster in front of last night's Cliff Bell's main stage...both of these headlining women and their accompaniasts were fabulous, and this night would be written into some liner notes in the future of each of them.

I swear I saw Audra grow into her skin a wee more last night. She really doesn't know what she's got there, but when her gifts flow with, say, the second syllable or chord-stoke...unless she's unsettled and needs an entire song to warm us up...it is OBVIOUS to anyone with working senses coupled to a resonant soul that they are in front of pure musical genius...almost idiot savant style, but to infer THAT with this brilliant and beautiful person carries way too many negatives.

Audra breathes pure musical genius LOVE when she lets herself exhale...and then wonders why everyone falls in love with her!

She will be playing the Festival of the Arts and Taste/Cityfest this summer, I wholly and unreservedly recommend that y'all search out Audra Kubat if you've never experienced this force...and Silent Violet is very much worth your time, too.

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.