Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » "Images from Detroit's Cass Corridor" documentary showing 6/7/07 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Works in Progress: Images from Detroit's Cass Corridor" will be shown at the Motor City Brewing Works this Thursday, June 7, at 9:30 pm.

'70s Detroit art scene filmed
"In the 1970s, an artistic flowering known as the "Cass Corridor movement" coalesced on the hardscrabble streets around Wayne State University, drawing much of its punch from the cheek-by-jowl juxtaposition of poverty and serious art.

Kathryn Brackett Luchs watched all this as a wide-eyed teenager living with her older sister, who was enrolled at Wayne State.

Ultimately, Luchs picked up a Super-8 camera and, since her sister knew many of the artists, filmed those painters and sculptors at work.

"I was always very poor," says Luchs from her home in Lewiston, "so I filmed sporadically and randomly."

She accumulated 11 hours and then put it away in a drawer. Some 25 years later, Luchs picked the project back up and re-interviewed all the artists, save Paul Schwarz, who had died.

The result, which she produced with Shaun Bangert, is "Work in Progress: Images from Detroit's Cass Corridor," which will show Thursday at the Motor City Brewing Works. The artists, most of whom went on to significant careers, included Schwarz, Robert Sestok, Steve Foust, Ellen Phelan and Luchs' husband, Michael Luchs -- all once associated with the experimental Willis Gallery. ..."

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070604/ENT02 /706040329/1032/ENT

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool thanks

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought everybody was boycotting Motor City because they tried to steal free parking from TJ's?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, did you happen to attend the event or get any more information about this documentary? Mainly I was wondering if there is any chance that someone could buy a copy of it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.