Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Forum is great but forum software sucks « Previous Next »
Forum Needs updating......Fishtoes200048 07-16-07  3:53 pm
Archive through June 14, 2007Steamaker39 06-14-07  3:13 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 734
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad the font color changed to dark on light background. That was great.
It did take awhile to find the formatting faq.
So, in lieu of making a posting template, using all the shortcuts, maybe a link in the post box or something.
But that's minor.

I am good at porting databases from one board to another, but I see why streamlining is better here. So I never got the notion to suggest it.
Carry-on.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 845
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell-
I'll second the sentiment of, it ain't broke, don't mess w/ it.

This forum has become a favorite past-time, and I prefer it's appearance to nearly every other forum I've seen.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The color codes like \red{Your Text} went belly up a while ago but these work just as well:

Red Text\rgb{ff0000,Your Text}Your Text
Orange Text\rgb{ff6000,Your Text}Your Text
Yellow Text\rgb{ffff00,Your Text}Your Text
Green Text\rgb{00aa00,Your Text}Your Text
Cyan Text\rgb{00aaaa,Your Text}Your Text
Blue Text\rgb{0000ff,Your Text}Your Text
Purple Text\rgb{aa00aa,Your Text}Your Text
White Text\rgb{ffffff,Your Text}Your Text
Gray Text\rgb{c0c0c0,Your Text}Your Text
Black Text\rgb{000000,Your Text}Your Text

Jimaz

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh. I was once told "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." so I didn't.

Ninety man-years of source code later it broke so badly that no one could add even one more SLOC.

No one wanted to rewrite that much code so, after three months of handwringing, they called me back.

I fixed the whole thing in 2 hours.

30 engineers were unneccesarily idled for 3 months because I was prevented from helping them sooner.

(Message edited by Jimaz on June 14, 2007)

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am relatively new to the forum, but I agree with keeping it like it is. I don't find it difficult to manage at all, and can do without all the "cutesy" stuff. Keep up the good work, Lowell!

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it as is, Lowell. Thanks you for keeping it lean. That really does count.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Lowell has done a fantastic job with this forum. Thank you for all your hard work.

By the way, I'm no veteran poster myself, but where are all the old-timers to tear Gspark a new one for crapping on the forum setup in his tenth post? :-)

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have about 3 different forums including SMF, phpBB, and Proboards. I do agree that it is great not to see stupid signatures or avatars; they aren't necessary here. However I'd like to be able to see the posts I've made just by clicking my username as in other forums instead of having to go to the search page and using my username, etc, etc. I'd also like to be logged in already instead of having to log in every time I post. Oh, and the picture thing mentioned earlier would be nice, even if you didn't upload photos, just using the a tags or [img] tags, I forgot which system uses which. It'd be nice not to have restrictions for sizes, etc.

Anyhoo, those were my two cents.

I'd rather have a board with great content than unnecessary features. This is a great board!

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget you all.. I have got Lowell's back. I like the forum, I can post easily. Yeah, I am sure there are some high tech shit out there....so if you don't like it start your own shit....right? It's always so easy to criticize when you ain't doing shit...you know?

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't post a picture. It's the right size (40kb) and jpg, but I still gt error mssgs. I don't know another forum so difficult, and I assume some of them get as much traffic.

I do like tha spell check tho

(Message edited by putnam on June 15, 2007)

(Message edited by Lowell on June 15, 2007)

(Message edited by jtw on June 15, 2007)

(Message edited by Lowell on June 15, 2007)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 932
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ pictures must also be less than 550 pixels in height and width. I use IrfanView to resize my pics and also reduce their file size using the "save quality" slider in the "Save As" function.

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine ar 263 x 363

smaller is better

But thanks for the help. I may try that.

(Message edited by tom natoci on June 15, 2007)

(Message edited by scooter on June 15, 2007)

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to say that I think this Forum is great. I do not want avatars, nor long signatures that clutter things. Who needs to see the same thumbnail pictures a million times over?

Lowell has done a great job keeping this Forum focused on Detroit. By keeping things relatively simple, he achieves that aim.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto Cman710. This is great as is. Don't fix what isn't broken.

I love it Lowell, and great job!

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 866
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also resizing the photographs for the required size--great! People have to do some work if they are going to contribute. If you have a site where everything is done for you, no one takes time to think if it is worth the trouble to post

Some people just aren't as computer savvy as others. That doesn't mean they don't have anything worthwhile to contribute. I just find it odd on a forum that so visual, posting pics such a pain. There are some amazing photographers on this site who have to reduce the quality to post. Think the thread on construction at the Book-Cadillac how much better would it be if the pics were higher quality and maybe you have more frequent contributions with easier posting.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KISS.. keep it simple stupid. ALL of the above mentioned potential software changes are way over my non-technical head. It lets the little guy with only dial-up to speak his or her piece of mind, stay informed and be a part of a great forum. Good job Lowell. I joined the forum just after getting indoor toilets and electricity.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"KISS.. keep it simple stupid."

Colonel Sanders quote via Bob Dylans radio show - excellent.

Criticism goes over in CONNECT

From another designer, I find nothing wrong with this format, this design or its usability. Everybody has to be a critic.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't get on Gspark's case too much. There are some new scripting capabilities out there that give more kick and web power to a site. He's probably just a little over-excited about using them.

As for the photos, yes, there are some great photographs folks want to share, but I'm not against the current solution where they post them on Flickr or some other photo-hosting site, and then just provide a link to them. If I'm at home with cable internet access and 2GB of RAM, a forum thread with tons of photos will load fine, but if I'm using another machine with limited memory running, Win 2K, and have questionable bandwidth, the photos take forever. So to keep the content presentation simple and the access open to everyone, the tricky setup of posting pix has its benefits.

(As an aside, CCS scripting could help load these pages faster. Also it would not change the style here enough to cause an uproar. Maybe it will be included in the next update.)

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 703
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell: Don't change a thing!!!! I know nothing about any of this technology stuff. I do know this site works very well the way it is. I think the folks who want to "upgrade" would probably say that next year's Corvette could use 10 more horsepower.

Prokopowicz
Username: Prokopowicz

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The site works OK on a Blackberry - I would hate to lose that ability in any "upgrade"

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An upgrade to the search function would be great. I can *never* find the old threads I'm looking for.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3901
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I view the forum regularly on my Cingular 8125 pocket PC cell phone which runs Windows Mobile. It works very well and as the speed is about ISDN level, fast loading is a big asset.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11607
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lowell: Don't change a thing!!!! I know nothing about any of this technology stuff. I do know this site works very well the way it is. I think the folks who want to "upgrade" would probably say that next year's Corvette could use 10 more horsepower.

Actually, the next Super Vette due out in a year or two will be just fine with it's estimated 700 hp from a supercharged version of the current LS7 engine, no need for an extra 10. :-)

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually had a conversation with Lowell about this the first time I ever met him. But I think it's simple because of his requirements and the requirements of his users. I'd be interested in taking a look at the demographics of this forum compared to PHPBB-powered (and other powered) forums.

On that end, I do think that adding a PHPBB-like method of posting would improve usability. Highlighting words in your post and just hitting a button to post a link, bold, color, change font size, etc, is a lot easier than trying to figure out the proper syntax of the commands.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm entering this post from a new iphone! The leanness of the forum software makes it quite usable on an iPhone/mobile device. (currently riding in the car in Kentucky)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

partially because i think this needs a bump for benefit of those in the thread on the main page, but also to offer a suggestion to someone from this thread...

quote:

Wouldn't change anything code-wise except maybe to add tags to embed YouTube posts.

If you happen to use Firefox, i recommend you get the Greasemonkey extension, and the videoembed script available here: http://userscripts.org/scripts /show/7686

you'll barely realize that it wasn't actually embedded and it works on every site, anytime there is a youtube link. You can change that if you so choose, whether to limit it to just one page or single out one to not get the embed treatment. i remember once it kinda screwed up detnews.com, but it's easy to turn off and on if it does.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only improvements I would like about the site is a way of getting to a certain post without doing all the scrolling and having an area at the bottom of the thread where we could access the other portions of the site.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3989
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, use the little T and P icons above any name to pop to the top [T] and bottom [P=Posting box] of threads.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, ty Lowell. I was wondering that those things were.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2686
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would it be difficult to display a bit more text in the search results? There's a lot of wasted space to the right:

Search Results

I would think they'd make something like that easily configurable.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Urbanize, use the little T and P icons above any name to pop to the top [T] and bottom [P=Posting box] of threads.

Huh. I never noticed those before. how handy. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.