Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Forum is great but forum software sucks » Forum Needs updating...... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I tried posting an image...this forum needs such a major change. I think they need to find a program.....A little updating never hurt. A good thing that could be added with the update is being able to PM people. Also it gets annoying to see my username and password below the post I am going to make as I type it. Anyone here agree with me?

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8723
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I checked, this was a FREE internet forum whose creator has never asked for money.

If I made a request like yours, CP, I would ask "is my request part of the problem, or part of the solution?"

If my request was accompanied by money, it would be part of the solution.

If my request was one more whiney complaint of which I suspect the creator of this website gets plenty of, then it would be part of the problem.

I will assume your request was accompanied by $$ and will resist the urge to send you a cyberspace smackdown.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone here agree with me?

Nope.

You want some cheese to go along with that?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nope, me either. Never had a problem posting a graphic, either. Just get it down to the right size, which is easy to do.

I said before, and I'll say it again. Lowell for President.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9641
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm fine the way it is...and I've got a WHOLE lot more practise at it than you!

(got to keep ahead of Karl's blather-count!)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine the way it is, as long as the picture shrinks the right way for me. No, don't agree at all.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I understand this a free forum...but the point of the fact is that there is free updates for forum programs such as these, especially if it's a phpp based one. I post on other sites & have noticed changes and updates on them, this one seems to keep with the old. I know it works and all....just a little updating woudln't hurt is all I am saying... Like get rid of the stuff thats on the left side of the screen.....give everyone more room to see. Well if you like it this way than that's your own opinion....Please don't just go jumping to conclusion's that I was suggesting that everyone here pay to post. I just think that updates & upgrades would be a good idea.....or is there something you have against change?

Gannon

Post Number: 9644
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He wasn't saying everyone needed to pay to post...just that the upgrades would cost, and to add to your assumption, EVEN IF THEY ARE FREE!

Do you know the value of time? Do you know the time it takes to troubleshoot? It will take time to do the updates, and then probably much more to troubleshoot the problems.

Are you aware of how difficult it is to stop a river to make a repair in a dam?! It is very hard to do either of the above while the whole datastream is flowing.

We all have a resistance to change, it is called the mere human condition. A certain form of conservation is inherent to the specie...got us this far, didn't it?!

Scs100

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Like get rid of the stuff thats on the left side of the screen.....give everyone more room to see.

Why get rid of that? Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't. It does have its uses and the pictures showing the tour areas add a nice touch.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always use the direct link to break out of the frames if it's that annoying...

https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=topics

Or this version:

https://www.detroityes.com/00-index-forum.htm

Still frames, just no left sidebar

(Message edited by yupislyr on July 14, 2007)

Scs100

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, did Lowell do an update back in December when the whole format changed or was that just a different appearance from the old one?

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand what you are saying...they don't need to shut the forum down...most the time when you update or change it sometimes this can be done on the server and the forum can stay up and everyone can still happily post. It'd be nice to have private messages and some other updates.

Resistance to change.... maybe this is the reason why Detroit is so screwy to begin with(boy im gonna here some sh-- from that comment).

Gannon

Post Number: 9646
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, good catch, Yupislyr.

The habit of shrinking the pictures needs be refined by newbies, but THAT is Lowell's choice to conserve server space...not the fault of the software.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3427
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[Nothing much to do again. Hmm. What could I bitch about--something directed to the great unwashed masses on DY?]

I got it! Complain that the DY forum software should have audio to text conversion (with formatting)--or better yet, something telepathic. The ThinkPad here has a KB whose space bar sometimes balks.

Also, having a delete function for eliminating others' posts would be nice. After a while, however, there wouldn't be (m)any posts to worry about after that functionality gets installed. That'll cut the reading time way down.

Oh damn! There's a fly in the room. Now I got to kill it and ...

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha complain....Maybe they need to make someone like me a forum mod' or admin...I would cut about 50% of some of these assine posts...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uploading pictures is pretty easy. Length or Width not to exceed 550 pixels. File size not to exceed 50k. Many programs are available for download that can do this. If that is too hard, post your photo on a site like Flickr and link to it.

Since Lowell runs this forum and lets us enjoy it, I have no problem with links to his photography on the site. Be happy it isn't banners for eHarmony.com.

Gannon

Post Number: 9647
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe they need to make someone like me a forum mod' or admin...I would cut about 50% of some of these assine posts...

'Mod' is short for moderator, seemingly someone who acts in moderation. If you really think you'd eliminate 50% of the posts...doens't sound like you even fit the most basic of job definitions!

At least, you should need to learn how to spell assinine! heh

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Like get rid of the stuff thats on the left side of the screen.....give everyone more room to see.

Actually there's a very practical webpage design guideline that advises displaying text in narrower columns like newspapers. It's so the reader's eyes don't have to travel so far right to left when advancing to the next line. It makes it easier for the reader to avoid losing his place.

I don't see anything wrong with recommending improvements. I wouldn't expect much to change though.

I really like the robustness of this system. It never seems to crash.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 622
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't go changin'
to try to please me,
you never have to work that hard.
I couldn't love you any better -

"I love you just the way you are"......

Now it's in your head all day!

Scs100

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Next time I run into you, remind me to stick that in your head. I'm gonna hate myself all day now. :-)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

nope.

"Resistance to change...."

Why do so many people need the world to conform to their personal level of convenience ?

"Please don't just go jumping to conclusion's that I was suggesting that everyone here pay to post."

I AM suggesting everybody on here think about donating to the site - especially some of our friends on the non-d side who post 1,000 times a day. It is user funded, not free.

"Maybe they need to make someone like me a forum mod' or admin"

You sound like a candidate for the "start your own damn forum" crowd - download that PHP crap, pay for a server, get a domain, and fire it up bro.

Or, you could read the instructions on this forum, and participate accordingly. These posts dont belong in this section.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 496
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The participant voice of DYes has spoken through the posts in this thread.

Verdict --> Keep DYes as is - for know.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 818
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anarchy, Now! I say we take over this Popsicle stand! Muhahahaha.....

Scs100

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh God Bullet... :-)

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only thing i dont like about the forum is no way to jump to the first un read post in a thread...

i would LOVE to keep up on the Book-Cadillac hotel work but ive got no idea where i left off (around post 120 maybe) and its now got several more hundred...

thats my only beef...

david

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

".....or is there something you have against change?"

I'm old. Over the years, I've learned to hate change. With a passion. Even the days of buying a new TV and just plugging it in are over. Technology has not only passed me by, but it trampled my ass into the cobblestones on its way past.

Trust me. Some day you're gonna be (hopefully) receiving your Social Security deposits and you will then agree with me.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Civil, I've learned over the years NOT to complain or campaign for change unless I want to be the one to improve or implement changes. :-)

Since you're still a newbie, I'll cut you a little slack. But this website DOES get updated periodically - and works tremendously well. I'm totally awed by all the time, effort and resources (read - money) that goes in to providing this website for all of us to play on.

Next time, ask questions ("how do I resize a picture" or "is there a way to read the forum without the left side bar?") instead of suggesting improvements that costs someone a lot of time and effort. Unless you're volunteering..?

Jimaz

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltdave, try the "Messages since I last checked for new messages" option in the search engine.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 625
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100,

How was your summer trip???? What did you do? What day do you go back to school? Did you get your pencil box and duo-tang folders? :-)

Maybe you could do a 'connect' thread where you just type in everything that you did on your trip. That would be fun for (at least) me to read.

kath

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6311
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

especially if it's a phpp based one

Well it's not. Next suggestion?

quote:

the only thing i dont like about the forum is no way to jump to the first un read post in a thread...

A long time ago we did have that option, however the load on the server was too much and performance suffered as a result.

As Lowell has said in the past, there are a ton of options with this software, most of them he has removed intentionally in order to keep every thing running quickly.

Also... This should be in the Connections forum, where it will shortly end up.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you want to PM people? It's not a chat room. I believe there used to be an e-mail link if the author offered it.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just love the fact the the word "Lowell" has never appeared on the left side this thread.

Sometimes criticism is not constructive, nor warranted, and therefore, not even acknowledged.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 579
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps before complaining about Lowell not commenting on an 8 hour old thread that has no business being on this side of the forum, you would kindly look over to the 'connect' portion where you will see a similar thread by the title of 'Forum is great but forum software sucks', that Lowell HAS commented on, with the reasons the forum is the way it is.

I like this forum for the most part, although it has its shortcomings, I understand the reasons behind it before i start complaining. for one, the images - who wants to go to a thread with dozens of huge photos that i've already seen and takes forever to load, when i could go to one with smaller, quicker-loading pics. Don't like that you have to resize, have one with detail you don't want lost? like johnlodge said, put it on photobucket or flikr, and post the link here. it's easier on the server and on load times, and doesn't use up MY bandwidth too.

As for PM's, if i really need to talk to someone, i can run over to 'connect' and start a thread 'Paging username'. They'll find it soon enough.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2649
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Drankin21 was complaining about Lowell. Drankin21 seems to be commending Lowell for not commenting.

Scottr

Post Number: 580
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after re-reading Drankin21's post, i apologize to him/her, i read it wrong the first time. the rest is mostly directed at the forum complaints, not Drankins comment.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3439
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:

Maybe they need to make someone like me a forum mod' or admin...I would cut about 50% of some of these assine posts...

'Mod' is short for moderator, seemingly someone who acts in moderation. If you really think you'd eliminate 50% of the posts...doens't sound like you even fit the most basic of job definitions!

Scottr

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

or perhaps asinine. :-)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell that to Gannon. I just quoted his entire post--with his typo--without adding or changing anything.

Scottr

Post Number: 583
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know. i just felt the need point out that error as well.

as long as we're being picky...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3442
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Gannon could (rightfully) accuse us of conspiring against him.

He likes conspiracies, though. Without any, he wouldn't seem needed.

Scs100

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, it has been done, check the connections page.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 908
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nope. Everything works great me for CPU, no complaints from this end of the room.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, let me say that I highly enjoy coming to this Website and Forum. But I will agree, Lowell needs to move to a different Forum software. If it's hosting he's looking for, I know of a snazzy hosting service out there, and NO, I DON'T OWN IT! It's in Utah! :-) Anyhow, it's called Bluehost. http://www.bluehost.com is the URL. and for what they ask for in payment, you get a WHOLE POOP STINKY LOAD Bunch of stuff! I will say, it is $207 and some pocket change up front for 2 years. But you get a TON and I mean a TON of neat stuff, Several Blogging software packages, Several web content management software packages and of course, forum software, I'd advise Lowell to go take a peek at it. I am a affiliate, and I do have a link to it on my blog, in the sidebars, if I had the $207 myself, I'd be moving my blog over there and setting up shop. The cool part is you can register as many domains as you want, with one account, and pay one price, it's awesome. I just wish I had the cash-ola to go get the service. anyhow, just letting the powers that be know about that.

-hardliner

(Message edited by hardliner on July 15, 2007)

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest, by internet standards, it looks pretty ghetto. Most forums on the internet that look like this are abandoned forums. I'm not saying that we should convert it into lofts, but new windows and a power-wash would be good.

If there was a fund raiser specifically to update the forums, I think enough money would be donated to really soften the few hundred dollar bill.

Also, maybe there is a Detroit based web host that would give a good deal, or even free web hosting.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, but I think it would make the forum a better place.

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya man, I understand you wanting to help, it's all good! :-) Hopefully lowell will follow the link I posted.

-HL

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 911
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To be honest, by internet standards, it looks pretty ghetto

Hence the name, DetroitYES! You truly expect this place to look anything other than ghetto considering the locale? This is not GrossepointshoresYES.com buster!

Can I interest you in a few dime rocks Jason, buy two get one free?

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it. Nice work and not ghetto at all as some of you put it.

thank you for allowing us to use your space DetroitYes.

You guys should be a bit more greatful and a little humilty may suit you as well.

the good rev

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, phpbb is nicer. It also chews up host resources when you get the traffic this site gets. The hosting package might have to be upgraded, which costs money.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.