Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Forum is great but forum software sucks » Archive through June 14, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gspark
Username: Gspark

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not use phpbb3 ? its so much better then what you have here, this forum is great but the software is crap with a capital C sorry to say, its very hard to navigate around the forums

i'll even help you set it up if you want please please get rid of this nasty forum setup you have here :-)

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think its that bad...It takes a little time to get used to but then again so does everything.

I will say the sports forum set up is garbage...

Overall, i'm fine with DY as is.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect to Lowell and the work he puts into this site, I have to agree. It is pretty clunky by present-day standards.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as forums go...I have no problem with this at all. What, you want to trade this in for a hotfudge-type format? So lame. I hate php forums.

Puhlease... I'd stop coming.

Lowell keep up the good work!

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The editing could use a lot of improvements. However I wouldn't like to see this site cluttered with loud avies and monster signatures.

Birdwoman
Username: Birdwoman

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most useful feature would be being able to click on a link that just shows posts you haven't looked at or read since the last time you logged in. It's available in PunBB, which also includes options to look at all your own posts, unanswered posts, recent posts, etc. That being said, I have no idea how to set it up, though it is free.

http://punbb.org/about.php

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The editing could use a lot of improvements. However I wouldn't like to see this site cluttered with loud avies and monster signatures.

i agree, the old-school formatting like making that a quote above seems somewhat archaic, but then again my first forum experiences were generally on php bulliten boards with their fancy buttons and whatnot.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was around $200.00

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wish there were a way to find my own posts without searching for my username.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see what's wrong with it. Then again, my first experience in this type of thing was running a T.A.G. BBS on my 8088XT on a 1200 baud modem. This is like space age stuff here.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's definitely time to upgrade. With php posting pictures would be much easier, you wouldn't have go through the trouble of resizing them. I think on a forum where a lot pictures are taken. allowing people to post bigger, clearer pics more easily will only make this better place.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More pictures, bigger pictures, avatar pictures, your talking about more bandwidth.
I belong to this board, he just set it up, and he stated it was around $200.00 to get it started.
http://www.tipsyturtle.net/for um/

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3883
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The goal of this forum is to Discuss Detroit in a speedy and uncluttered manner. The DetroitYES forum software has been greatly modded to achieve the goal of a fast loading discussion group about Detroit issues. In its unaltered out-of-the-box state it would look very much like php boards.

Features like those cute little avatar pictures, user accounts, messaging, complete post quoting and more are all available but have been switched off as they add to server lag, not to mention requests for support. Those are fine for boards with little traffic or big multiple server set ups.

With daily visitor sessions regularly topping 10,000 and page views over 50K, almost double from a year ago, every needless electron and process counts.

Navigation on the forum is straight forward. The choices are at the top and bottom.

If topics emerge with common content, like Detroit Sports or the mayoral election, they are handled by creating megathreads, essentially forums within a forum. We are considering making the Detroit Sports megathread a stand alone forum, but in many ways it still fits best as part of the greater Detroit discussion.

GSPark, welcome to the forum and thanks for the offer of help. However let me advise that topics like this, discussion about the forum, belong in the Connections forum where this will be moved later on.

That forum and the others have been created for the purpose of keeping this forum directly focused on Discussing Detroit.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4540
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And in Lowell's defense, not everyone has Cable, DSL or T1 line type access. There still are some dialup folks who avoid all that extra "baggage" like the plague because it takes forever to download.

I agree, who gives a crap about having a cutesy little picture next to your name.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If it works, don't fix it."

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed, Sturge.

The format is outdated but still works fine, it even has a spell checker before you post!

everyone thinks they gotta have a little picture next to their name and a sign off with their favorite video game character. Puhleez

-=K-SLICE=-

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

everyone thinks they gotta have a little picture next to their name and a sign off with their favorite video game character. Puhleez

Well, when you consider the "apparent" average age of the participants on this forum, I'm sure a majority of them would like to see more of a "myspace" format.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually like the way this forum is laid out. Its very easy to navigate and simplistic in detail.

It makes it easier for the libs to post on here so this way we will have someone to make fun of.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitYes is so much better than the Php out-of-the-box forums I've visited. I work in Php I know what it is capable of, but I don't want everywhere. It's a welcome relief knowing this isn't another Php website. I love the old school custom tags required for quotes, bold, italic and everything else. Also resizing the photographs for the required size--great! People have to do some work if they are going to contribute. If you have a site where everything is done for you, no one takes time to think if it is worth the trouble to post.

It took me awhile to get used to the new color scheme of blue and white, but other than that I think Lowell has done a fantastic job programming, styling, and organizing this forum. Other programmer friends who have been around for awhile also have good things to say about this forum's setup.

Wouldn't change anything code-wise except maybe to add tags to embed YouTube posts.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this forum using Discus Professional?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, my mention of late 80's style B.B.S'ing didn't spark any nostaligic memories for anyone? I'm shocked!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3885
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is Discusware Pro 4.0. It will be upgraded to 5.0 when it comes out.

Thank you all for the kind remarks and suggestions. There are a lot of things that you don't see, like backend management, which are both convenient and familiar.

Like most software situations, dealing with the familiar, while not always the best available, is better than going through the time and expense of learning curve of the new and unfamiliar with uncertain results.

Gspark
Username: Gspark

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok Lowell i'll remember to put it in the right forum in the future, thanks

re: the forum, i have to disagree by todays standards, this is the most clunky, non-user-friendly discussion board I ever seen on the web and if some say its the greatest thing since sliced bread then they have never truly participated in a real forum :-)

phpbb3 could provide ten times the value of this current setup and its completely free. I may set up a detroit phpbb3 forum myself somewhere on the web, and does anyone use web frames any more that's so 1950's he he just kidding :-)) need a CSS professional design no tables or frames to make it go fast.

I'll work on a phpbb3 detroit forum and see what i can come up with if anyone is interested

(Message edited by gspark on June 14, 2007)

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8028
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a knuckle-dragging rightwing low IQ zealot (and a minority here) I must comment (otherwise known as stuffing another foot in my mouth)

The software is slow and has kept me from posting hardly at all. I think my posts are only up to 37 or so (how would I know) and I would like the software upgraded to force Lowell to allow other POV's that differ from his own to also be reflected here.

:-)

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree - I would like to see a bit more functionality, but this is ok for now I guess. I use Boardnation for my forum, and I really like it.

But have been enjoying this site very much - maybe too much, must get back to work! :-)

~Liza

Quozl

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl wrote:
quote:

Being a knuckle-dragging rightwing low IQ zealot

Hey Karl, is this what a knuckle-dragging rightwing low IQ zealot looks like:

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 8029
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, exactly - though most of the time they're barefoot.

Quozl

Post Number: 745
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Quozl

Post Number: 746
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gspark wrote:
quote:

I'll work on a phpbb3 detroit forum and see what i can come up with if anyone is interested

There is already one up and running Gspark.

(Message edited by quozl on June 14, 2007)

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would like the software upgraded to force Lowell to allow other POV's that differ from his own to also be reflected here.

::::

agreed, I thought censorship was against liberal policy?
oh wait, I just remembered. The libs wait for people to break silly rules on the forum like name calling and then all of them file complaints against one forumer and that forumer gets kicked off because his/her views are different from the libs weak minded thinking ways.
So like their great leader Michael "imma eat 56 big macs in one sitting" Moore they gang up like the immature brats that they are.

(Message edited by dexterpointing on June 14, 2007)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm satisfied with DYes. I agree the current look-and-feel is a bit old fashioned - but that is part of the appeal and not at all a deterrent for me. For me, the most important aspect of DYes is the content of the dialog above anything else. I'm also a member of several boards of every kind and must say DYes is one of my favorite regardless of it's lack of features.

That being said, if and when Lowell makes updates and enhancements, I'll likely welcome them.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birdwoman:
quote:

The most useful feature would be being able to click on a link that just shows posts you haven't looked at or read since the last time you logged in.

I use that feature here all the time although it's not just one click. Click "SEARCH SITE" then "CLICK HERE TO SHOW FORUM SEARCH ONLY." Select "Registered users:" under "Search by date:". I'm not certain it shows every single post requested but since the traffic here has increased so much, it already returns more than I can read anyway.

I invested quite a bit of time learning how to use every available feature of this system when I first started. Other than a very few minor broken features (what happened to \2{BANG!}?), I have no problems. I wouldn't mind if it changed either. I'm just grateful it's here at all!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What, my mention of late 80's style B.B.S'ing didn't spark any nostaligic memories for anyone? I'm shocked!

I used to run a CNET board on a Commodore 64 with a 300 baud modem. It sounds like your TAG system was much more advanced. :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4542
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute..... Gspark... you must not visit a lot of forums....

Here's one with 65,000 members and over 19 million hits. It's a dinosaur by comparison to DetroitYes Forum...

http://www.bricklink.com/messa geList.asp

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to this day, I still have no idea how to quote another person's post.

Quozl

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

to this day, I still have no idea how to quote another person's post.

Try this:

https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=formatting

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just like the fact that it is simple and you can have hundreds of posts on a single page. Multiple pages per topic is a pain. Quoteless, signature-less posts are great as well. People on other boards go way overboard with the avatars, graphics, and other bs. LB Patterson brings up a good point though, many of us are not good with the coding features like quotes and formatting. Maybe someone can give a basic how-to for all that stuff.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Try this:

https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=formatting

Thanks, that was easy.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like this forum. It is one of the easiest to use. Whoever set it up, THANK YOU!!! It has been a pleasure reliving alot of my childhood and also learning alot more about the place I left. The pictures are incredible. Keep up the good work