Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Who Here is an actual Detroit Resident? » Archive through March 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Horizonchaser
Username: Horizonchaser

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a Detroit resident and new to this forum. I have read the threads here with great interest and I want to thank everyone who has contributed, it is very interesting to hear feedback about different issues concerning the city.

My reasons for posting are 1) to determine if there is a group of actual Detroit residents that access this board, and 2) to submit the idea of a Detroit Residents Association for discussion to them. Can the real Detroiters please stand up?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ut oh here we go again

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me - for a few more months at least.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 657
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me, I live in a first ring Suburb, but regularly venture into and spend my money in Detroit. I would like to spend more in Detroit as more opportunities present them selves. There is a space somewhere in this forum for those to input where we live if we so choose.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian is right. Somebody posted a link to a social networking site that allowed forum users to input basic information about themselves. I forget what it was?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a resident -- Representing the 48207!

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a resident of NoCo [North Cass Corridor: maybe that will catch on.]

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 757
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/62672.html

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 638
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not really a Detroit resident...but I did stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night...

can I still join?

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In MY opinion, and I'm sure only mine.........I grew up in the 48205, the first 8 years of my life lived in the Schoolcraft and Evergreen area.
I live in a small farming town in Indiana now. Been here for 3 years circumstances beyond my control.
But if you are Detroiter at heart, then you ARE A Resident. You never know where life will lead you..you could end up LIVING there again.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4857
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba stays at Corktown Inn, does that count?
He walks around Briggs Stadium, longing for the good ole days. He always drives by his old Wrigleys on W. Davison(Greenlawn) and cries. What am I, chopped liver, eh?

jjaba, Proudly Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the words of the late, great Redd Foxx: I was born, bread and buttered here.
(Rimshot Please)

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48225 northeast side ....here

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other words, nobody.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the frapper map

http://www.frappr.com/detroity es/map

not everyone is listed, but it gives a good starting point.

Cambrian

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That wasn't the one I input my info to the last time we did this. Must be a few of these forum member location maps floatin' around.

Horizonchaser

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thanks to everyone that responded.

I escaped the white bread suburbia hell of overindulged children and American Beauty-esque frustration that is Northville and moved downtown (48226) a few months ago and I love it. One thing that is frustrating is that we downtown residents seem to be invisible with no voice. Lots of people from the suburbs seem to have opinions about what Detroit needs and what is wrong with it but no one talks to the people who actually live here. Even at the Detroit Design workshop at the Gem recently an audience member commented with "no one lives in downtown; we are all in midtown." Myself and my neighbors would beg to differ. I have been having discussions with various businesses about opening a grocery store downtown and over and over I get "no one lives there." Actually, we do live here and we all drive to Troy to find a good grocery store. Also, many people seem to be discussing the idea of public transit here but a very limited survey of my neighbors fails to find anyone that would use it. In order for any business to survive in Detroit, it must have the patronage to support it and no one seems to be talking to the people who actually live here hence they are left relying on weekend and sports venue traffic from the suburbs.

My initial plan is to develop a Downtown Detroit Residents Association because that is my area of immediate concern and familiarity, but I can entertain the idea of a Detroit Residents Association that is divided into sections that concern themselves with different areas of the city since each neighborhood has special challenges and needs.

The Association would tackle the issues and desires that actual residents are concerned with, such as businesses that we need and can support, crime (or perceptions of) issues and give a feeling of community. Also we will address issues that keep people from wanting to live here, fix those problems and solicit people who are likely to live here (like people who work here). We will also identify new businesses in our neighborhood and encourage residents to patronize those businesses (such as the laundry service that was recently inquired about on this board).

The reason I am excluding non-Detroiters is, not that I don't love you, but my non-Detroiter friends often have no idea what it is like to actually live right here, right now. But maybe we can find a spot for you guys/gals.

We will be an organization of action, not whining and complaining. There will be no paralysis through analysis. We are planning on having the first residents association meeting sometime in March, probably in my loft. The first issue we will tackle is getting a grocery store downtown. Any other ideas from the thoughtful residents on this forum?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is already a Downtown Detroit Citizen District Council. There are also CDC's for other areas of the city, including Woodbridge, and Corktown. Why don't you look them up instead of trying to create something new?

Just because you're new and haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it doesn't already exist.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in Detroit.
My new home is Warsaw, Poland.

Horizonchaser

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for the info, Ndavies. I have asked and asked around about this, but no one has ever mentioned them. I even contacted the mayor's office and no one mentioned them. I will attempt to find them.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gave up living alone in a free house in SCS to live here

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Claytown 48210

(Message edited by billybbrew on February 22, 2007)

Horizonchaser

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how to contact the Downtown Detroit Citizen District Council?

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CBD 48226

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 683
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit 48227, and I hope this is the last DY "where ya live at" poll.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cass corridor, what what?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3879
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CBD 48226

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The name says it all...

Detroit City, Cass Corridor environs. Second and Hancock...48201

The Korridor Kid

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not me, but I visit when I can.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8380
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Actually, we do live here and we all drive to Troy to find a good grocery store

Therein lies the problem. You have ample grocery stores within a few miles of you and certainly do not need to take your money out of city for things like groceries.

FJ (Jeffereson), Honey Bee (Bagley), Harbor Town (Jefferson), Universtiy and Spartan (Warren), Eastern market, Wigleys, Rocky Peanut Company.

The only way Detroiters will see more options in Detroit is by spending our dollars in the city. Economic flight has been hurting this city and has been for 40 years.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep-48207 Lafayette Park.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 555
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new Detroit taxpayer here. 48212.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on the westside (warren just off of the southfield freeway)..then moved out of state...nyc/ma.

now i moved back to ferndale.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spaceboykelly, I thought "NoCo" already referred to "North Corktown". :P

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

midtown...

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 670
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me, midtown

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48221, Green Acres

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so around 17 or 18 total. Detroit Representing!

Cambrian

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how Lowell compiled the listers demographics in the link by Thnk2much. I wonder how many of us are raising kids? No question that newly developed areas in MidTown, CBD and downtown are attractive to young single professionals, but I'd like to hear the experiences of families with shool age children who decided to move back into Detroit from the burbs.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the stats, is Lowell going to do one list for 2006? Not that it matters, but it might be interesting to see how things have changed.

Grosse Pointe for me, (blagh).

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
I like how Lowell compiled the listers demographics in the link by Thnk2much. I wonder how many of us are raising kids? No question that newly developed areas in MidTown, CBD and downtown are attractive to young single professionals, but I'd like to hear the experiences of families with shool age children who decided to move back into Detroit from the burbs.

do you mean "shul" age children? Is that a Yiddish thing? JJaba help us out here....

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got school age children, and one of the primary reasons we left the City way back when was because of the state of the public school system. Are there any forum members who moved back to the City and are letting their children attend DPS ???

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 972
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is "real Detroiter" a gradient scale?

In other words, is 48226 more real than EEV? If someone lives a block north of 8 Mile do they get points deducted? What if you live in Detroit but work, shop and play in the suburbs? Is that better than the opposite in terms of "real"?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4874
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shul, see synagogue tour.
Shul is a Yiddish word.
Now a schul/shul could be inside a school.
Jewish day schools have a shul tucked into them.
Kids learn to Daven early.

jjaba.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd agree east Detroit. A real Detroiter pays his resident income taxes, works in the City, knows where all the really good stuff is (not just the trendy BS), rides the bus like he did as a kid, insures his car in the City, was born and raised in the neighborhoods.

Heck my grandmother is 95 and was born in Detroit and still lives in Detroit. I would say that has to count for something too.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Model D recently did an article on raising kids in Detroit:

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/parents72.aspx

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 487
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point East Detroit. Technically, I live about 1/2 a block from Detroit. Does that count?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey detroitplanner - do you "plan" on continuing to be so obnoxious?

oh yeah - home 48201 soon to be 48234

(Message edited by jfried on February 23, 2007)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If having a contrarian opinion makes one obnoxious, then I will continue to be obnoxious. I'm not going to give up my roots nor my home.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit 48223

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 977
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100, just as a Jewish convert... you are a Detroiter if you believe you are and identify yourself and participate as such.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maintaining Authenticity in the D, and representin' the 48226.

Y'all bustas better recognize!

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48208, Woodbridge--moved here with a child, having another. Don't see it as a big deal, there are tons of kids in our neighborhood.

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackcreative, will you be sending your children to a DPS school????

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She goes to Detroit Waldorf School in Indian Village

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 858
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny defined what a real Detroiter was one time. Lets ask him.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies suggested that Horizonchaser find the Downtown CDC and give up on starting up his/her own group of people, but I would respectfully disagree. While it certainly couldn't hurt, keep in mind that a CDC is merely a group of people that is elected to advise the City Council on certain planning decisions being made in each neighborhood. Although some of the CDCs formerly were funded by the city, had permanent offices and staffs and did take on some community activism type of projects (such as the Corktown CDC), none of them are currently funded, and I know of none that have an office or a staff.

The members of the Downtown CDC are likely people that have been around for a while and therefore know lots of people and have a deep commitment to the neighborhood. You should certainly include them in your plans. However, don't worry that you're recreating something that already exists if you decide to start organizing your neighbors to tackle neighborhood problems. If some folks are already working on this but you haven't yet met them, you will soon enough. Until then, don't let that stop you!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4825
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll agree with Ndavies.

Why keep trying to reinvent the wheel?

Search out the groups already formed, if you find they don't fill your needs or allow you the latitude to expand their mission then strike out and form another group. If nothing else you've met others who share your views.

I remember the "preservation" groups formed in the past that covered the same ground but couldn't come together for years due to personal and other reasons, which turned off willing volunteers to both groups.

Don't allow egos to get in the way of progress.

Drm

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I agree with you, but I don't think that Horizonchaser's idea would be reinventing the Downtown CDC. If something like Horizonchaser envisions does exist, it's certainly not the Downtown CDC.

Jams

Post Number: 4828
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe not, but isn't "networking" one of those "keywords"?

One of the things that pisses off many of the "old-timers" is the the attitude that of "We'll fix this right away, screw what you've tried in the past".

The very sad thing is is there is much support from the "old-timers" to many of the ideas, but to be shunted off to the side sticks in the craw of those, or even worse labelled slum-lords, who were here fighting the good fight when no-one else seemed to listen.

Shit, I'm agreeing with 3rd World City.

Jams

Post Number: 4830
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the money to get the message across going to come from?

Not to be negative, but when I was on the Board of an organization promoting Detroit supported by an organization giving us major bucks we were the shit, but when those bucks were cut off and we had to work out a "Bake-sale budget" the organization crumbled.

No free Tee-shirts = No volunteers.

Patience, use the resources in place.

Drm

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Patience, use the resources in place.

Would you care to suggest some "resources in place" for a person like Horizonchaser? Please include contact names/telephone numbers.

Jams

Post Number: 4833
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not my current interest.

When it was, I searched every avenue.

Ask so&so, they might know who to ask, and so on and so on...

I wish I could give you all the answers, but what was a good resource last year may be a dead end this year.

Drm

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you saying that Horizonchaser shouldn't do anything because someone else may or may not be trying to do the same thing?

If someone else is actively trying to do good, I would think that both groups could work together once they find each other -- if another group actually exists. Until then, I would encourage Horizonchaser or anyone else to start working on the problems. There are certainly enough to go around.

Eastsidelady
Username: Eastsidelady

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Detroit.

Jams

Post Number: 4835
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you saying that Horizonchaser shouldn't do anything because someone else may or may not be trying to do the same thing?

Of course not, I encourage activism. I'm just suggesting doing some homework first.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48207- Lafayette Park here

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48224 for the past 9 1/2 years, formally 48214.
Never lived outside the city limits my entire life.

Archinnovator
Username: Archinnovator

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48221 for the past 4 years.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48214, West Village is in da thread!

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please don't crucify me. Grew up there. Many memories. Really can't respond to the political/re-birth/deteriorati on of the past 37 or so years, I just add my 2-cents.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Citizens District Council

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ detroitdowntowncdc/

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister lives in Detroit does that count ?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably roughly half of the posts on this forum are from people who live in the city of Detroit. (myself included)

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48226..w00t..

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 938
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit resident - over 50 years!

Horizonchaser

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can certainly understand your frustration with people taking their dollars out of Detroit, Jt1. In truth, I am at the Eastern Market every Saturday, been there on Saturday mornings with my dad ever since I was a little kid. I love the Market! And Wigglys has some of the best meat around, the corned beef is the best in the city (if I'm cooking it, of course). I buy wine/beer/hard cider exclusively from Tim McCarthy's wine shop in the Eastern Market even if it does cost more. But we probably differ in our definition of grocery store, to me Farmer Jack is mostly aisles & aisles of frozen/packaged processed food, which I avoid, with some poor quality produce that passes for "fresh." Harbourtown has a small corner for fresh fruit & vegetables and not much of a meat counter. The options for fresh food are pretty narrow in the downtown area. There are 9,800 people with a median income of $59,000/yr that live within the highways downtown and 83,000 people that work in the same area, and there is lots of empty retail space down here. You would think a small grocer with a deli counter would love to be down here.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone comments but I wasn't just taking a survey of where everyone here lives for the fun of it, I really wanted ways to contact Detroit residents. It would appear that this is not the place to do that, but thanks to everyone who replied.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lafayette parker, 48207.

[i posted since there was a genuine reason for asking, not just a pissing match like the former threads of this title had become.]

horizon; you should really check out honey bee market in southwest. i think they'll have everything that you just described. here's an article that i think describes the situation pretty aptly: http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/myths.aspx

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

born in 48238
studied and now work in 48202,
currently live in 48207

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moved back a couple of weeks ago. Residing in 48216 and loving it...I can walk just a few blocks to get my groceries. No need to travel outside of the city. =)

Im glad to be back!

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 984
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horizon, if you want to meet some Detroiters (and non-Detroiters), show up at some of the forum nights you see advertised on this site......Welcome to the forum and hopefully you are a little thick-skinned. Most of the people on this forum prefer to be at least somewhat discrete......for whatever their reasons may be, and I respect that.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 985
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I'm in 48226.........That's just the manner in which I prefer to Roll.