Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Toot-Toot!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The National Model Railroad Association has been meeting this week at Cobo Hall and the public can see the exhibits tomorrow afternoon and Saturday.
I have had the good fortunate to see two exhibits that were on the tour- a Garden railway set up in the back yard of a GP residence and an O gauge exhibit set up in the entire basement-area of a home overlooking the Detroit Golf Club. WOW!
These were just fabulous exhibits built and maintained by talented and dedicated railroad modelers, and I can assure you that the Cobo Hall exhibits will be well worth seeing. I predict that just about every kid and grand kid will be down there Saturday with eyes wide open. Lots of adults,too. If you have had any interest in model trains, this show will be the one to witness.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm only going to play with the legos.

The_rock

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the exhibits are open to the public at noon,Sunday, too.
And I believe that the Central Ohio Lego Club will have their usual awesome display at Cobo. So you should be a happy camper.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pictures here:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070727/NEW S01/707270422/1003

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That thread title is a little misleading, eh?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4016
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Dialh4hipster... the meaning of the "the rock" and "toot,toot" certainly have changed a little since the back in the day.

The_rock

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I don't give a toot, but I am headed down to the train show in an hour. Looking for a good deal on an IHC 4-6-4 Milwaukee Road steam engine that might come in under $80.
Nice article/photos in this morning's Freep should help boost the attendance.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always enjoyed n-scale. You can do so much more in so much less space, plus the smaller size makes everything look more detailed.

Someday I'd like to put a nice n-scale set up together. Maybe once I'm done working on the house. Which will be never.

The_rock

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge---The show had some great n scale exhibits.
There were at least 6 major Lego exhibits.And I met Jim Garrett who was the chap featured in the Free Press (Lego) write up this morning and which Pam posted above. Turns out I have know his dad for 40 years and I never put the last names together. Small world.
Quite competitive prices among the different vendors, too. And part of the Glancy train collection from the Detroit Historical collection had a very large display.
Me? I bought two ho gauge box cars ( Goebel Beer and Strohs beer logos),a book on the history of the Grand Trunk Western Railroad,and I met the artist who is doing a Brush street station rendition with a GTW steamer pulling out for Pontiac back in 1950. I took that train several times, and hope to purchase a print if all works out.
I was quite surprised with the very small exhibit that Lionel had. Maybe they are relying on the name alone.
Well worth the trip down to Cobo.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5521
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite another thread started today, it's great to see you let your "inner-kid" out.

Enjoy it.

Johnlodge, Housework will always be there, count me in among those that always has. several projects always hanging over their heads waiting to be finished.

So, just do it. Little steps at first, an engine here, a freight car there, some track and soon, you'll be writing a book. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.