Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Know a Senior Looking for a Cat? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This could go in the classifieds but we are looking to connect great cats with great seniors. The Friends for the Dearborn Animal Shelter are GIVING AWAY cats 1 yr and older to Senior Citizens. The cats will be spayed/neutered, all shots and vet checked. Some are declawed. The senior must still put in an application but the adoption fees are waived. There are some really nice cats that are looking for homes and would be great companions for a senior. To see some of the great cats and visit the shelter's website, please go to

http://www.dearborn-animals.co m/

They are located on Greenfield just south of the I-94 overpass.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if you could do some kind of outreach to senior apartments -- not nursing homes, but apartments where they can have pets. Make it easy for them to get the cats -- either show bios/photos and deliver their cats, or arrange for a bus trip to the shelter. Just thinking out loud. Seems like a good fit...

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy: The shelter is having an open house on August 18th. I am sure there would be volunteers to help deliver cats, but picking an animal is such a personal thing. I just volunteer there, and thought this might be a great way to get the word out. Many of us have parents who are over 60 and who would love to share their home with a cat.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make sure it gets to the right folks at the shelter...who knows, it might just become a reality :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.