Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Detroiters/Michiganders living in Hawaii. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aloha everyone.

My family and I have recently moved to Hawaii on the island of Oahu for the next few years.
We were wondering if there are any of you Michigan transplants out here so we won't be the only ones rooting for the Tiger's playoff hopes or Piston's title run. Plus watch U of M football early in the morning this coming fall( damn 6 hour time difference).
Even Sparty fans would be welcome too.
Heck it'd be great if we could even talk to someone who knows what Vernors or Oberon is.

Aloha
D

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's biggest cheerleader from the 70's, Emily Gail lives there somewhere. Aloha.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Hawaii from '93 to '99. Not too many Michigan people out there, maybe you should become a UH fan now.

Hagglerock

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon,
done and done, I have tickets for the U of H vs Washington and Boise State on Nov 23rd.

If anyone is ever in the area, let me know, I'm becoming privy to all the nice spots here on Oahu. Look for me, I sporting the old English D and U of M alum plate on my Jeep.

Thanks again,
D

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I read, Hawaii is supposed to do really good this year in football. Quarterback Colt Brennan is back for another year, some people thought that he would go pro after last year.

Old English D eh? Do you have bushy eyebrows and a Ferarri also?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haggle---Anyone who has rock for his handle,and both an English D and a U of M alum plate on his Jeep is my kind of guy.
If you are a golf nut, stop by Sam Snead's Tavern on Valkenburg St. and have one on me.

And look for Forum-poster, jjaba, at the Boise State game. Chances are he will be there. He will be sitting on the west side of the stadium ( never the east side), sporting a Cass Tech sweat shirt, and will be cheering for any Jewish player who remotely does anything during the game.
And I would love to have Michigan play Hawaii again. I don't think they have been on the schedule since 1998.

The_rock

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOps! Forgot to mention that Bell's Brewery now puts out about 25 different brands of their beer.
Oberon Ale is still their big seller. Look for their Octoberfest to hit the shelves soon,'though in your neck of the woods, I am not sure if you will see it.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5521
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hagglerock, dig out some ginger from the ground out there. Volcanic ginger is best. Wrap it in palm leaves, heat it, and bingo, VERNOR's, Mahalo.

jjaba can tell everybody now that Boise State will kick some Hula ass. Hawaii is the most over-rated team to get suckers to visit the Islands.

The Rock sits on the Eastside of Aloha Stadium wearing his pink polo shirt, and dress shoes without socks. Sporting a UM maize and blue cap, look for him asking people where's the best Coney Island in Honolulu. Rock, go for the Ahi with a side of Poi.

jjaba, Westsider.

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from a michigander who used to live on oahu: when (if) you start to feel clausto sandwiched between the ocean and the mountains, take a drive to the north shore up the middle of the island. you'll feel calmer in the flat, open land in the middle of the island. :-)

have fun-- oahu is gorgeous and so much fun!

Hagglerock

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lakesuperior,
will do, I'm currently in Kailua and still can't believe how close the beach is.

brandon,
sorry, no mustache/ ferrari, but I do fly around in a helicopter. If I'm not mistaken I think Magnum PI was filmed near Waiminalo, it looks familiar, if so we fly near it all the time.

jjaba,
Always a big fan of your posts. I do miss Vernors, but my wife and I will take your recipe for a try. Didn't know you were a fan of the team that plays on the blue field.

Therock,
Oberon is on the Island? Holy, that just made my day if that's what you meant!!!! We have a sweet golf course on MCB Kanehoe Bay, 40 bucks for 18 holes, just inches from the beach.

Thanks for all the replies, if anyone is in the area, seriously hit me up, I'm always for helping a fellow Michigander out.

D

The_rock

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haggle--I doubt if Bell's beer has made it to your neck of the woods yet. I salute you for being a Mich man. First game is this Sat.
Speaking of football, your Hawaii quarterback (Colt)has gotten quite a write up in the Detroit papers for his off-the-field antics. Hope he has his act together now. Sounds like he passes the ball 100% of the time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.