Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Crain's Detroit House Party « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody going this year? Anyone go last year? What was it like? It sounds pretty cool... I just signed up for it and was curious! :-)

(Message edited by monahan568 on August 30, 2007)

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 828
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much info to go on at the site. Is it sort of a stiff, walk around and talk to people you already know thing? I can't get the feel of it...

Monahan568

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the description part from the email flyer they sent out...

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 999
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, that image looks suspiciously like a security camera. I think it is meant to be an eave or roof overhang, but there is some sort of subliminal thing there

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I agreed to host a party at my home. About 15 guests came and were greeted by several neighbors and me. I served wine, water, and various hors d'oeuvres. The guests toured my house and several of the neighbors' gardens. Most of my guests seemed to be younger, professional people who lived outside of Detroit but who wanted to find out more about life in our neighborhoods. More or less the same occurred at the other host homes throughout the city. By 7:00 pm we were all trooping over to the Wintergarden at Ren Cen where Crain's hosted a major taste fest event.

As a host, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and I believe my guests also did. Since each host got to invite 5 neighbors to assist at his home and then go the Ren Cen with him, there were lots of Detroiters at that part of the evening.

Amy, to answer your question as best I can: at my house, other than the couples who arrived together, the guests did not know each other. Part of my role as host, with the help of several neighbors, was to introduce people and talk about my house and the neighborhood. There was nothing stiff about it and no one was left to stand off by themselves. At the Wintergarden, the crowd was very large and perhaps it was less conducive to meeting people. Certainly, however, at each of the food stations there was the opportunity to strike up a conversation about the food or which house you visited.

Crain's asked me to host a party again this year, and I've agreed. I expect the event to be bigger and better than last year's.

Monahan568

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome, Thanks for all the details Neilr! Hope to get the chance to meet you!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny observation Michigan. Reading the Neilr post, this sounds like an interesting event.

Monahan568

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-bump-

Anybody going??

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are ticket sales terrible this year? Crains must have sent the same "Last chance" email out at least five times in the past month.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.