Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » XBox 360 experience « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My XBox 360 recently came down with the "Ring of Death" (2nd time). Has anyone here had this problem? How long have you gone without experiencing the RoD problem? And if you have used XBox 360 Live, please describe how you feel about it?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Describing how I feel about using XBox Live is difficult. I feel an immediate sensation of relaxation but with a tinge of a feeling that something is lacking. Like when you get to work and you wonder if you left the stove on, you know? At first there is a feeling of anxiousness when you're booting up the machine and that slowly builds to high anticipation when you start connecting. When it does connect, I usually get a feeling of happiness and one of contentness. If I start to lose a game, I start to get feelings of frustration and anger. Conversely, winning a game gives me feelings of joy and an inflated ego. When I'm not winning or losing, I just feel okay. Hope this helps.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 678
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved your response Cheddar_bob - thanks. I'm still laughing.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you know that how the ring lights up can give you a clue on the problem...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X box_360_technical_problems

I've heard of this problem from a lot of people.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it sounded real because I've never played an XBox.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision, thanks for the Wiki link, I'll check it out asap. You can always trust Wiki :-).

Cheddar_bob, what you described is almost exactly the behaviour exhibited by my children when using the XBox, which is often. Specifically, "If I start to lose a game, I start to get feelings of frustration and anger. Conversely, winning a game gives me feelings of joy and an inflated ego. When I'm not winning or losing, I just feel okay."

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4884
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, aren't you a lil old for video games? jk lol

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our XBox is purely for the kid's entertainment. The last time I really enjoyed playing video games was in the 80s at the local Pizza Hut. They had the tabletop Pac-Man and Space Invaders games in the lobby. It was easy to get lost in those games for hours at a time.

Before that, my favorite was the Pong game that connected to the television.

My kids look at me like I'm an alien when I describe the games I used to enjoy playing. They say things like "back in the olden days...".

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have *crossing fingers* never experienced any problems with my Xbox 360, I have owned it since July of 2006. I have had Live since Halo 2 came out, and that game, its predecessor, and that service were the bane of my class attendance during my dorm days because everybody played. Halo 3 is coming out soon so I am curious as to whether I revert back into Halo nerd mode or stay into semi responsible adult mode. That is if my Xbox doesn't die....*knocking on wood*

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't had hardware problems but trying to get my Live account to not automatically renew and thus, canceled, was a lesson in frustration.

You cannot cancel Live online via the 360 or the web. You have to call them so they can try and talk you out of it.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get the "dirty/unreadable disk" error once in a while.

Thanks to Microsoft quality control.

However, XBOX Live is great. Splinter Cell DA, Rainbow Six Vegas, etc... loads of fun!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 714
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Through my kids I've learned that the Ring of Death problem is fairly prevalent. At least 2 of the kids in our subdivision have also had the RoD this summer.

The RoD problem we've had is because "the Console is experiencing a hardware failure" (3 quadrants lit in red). Consumer is instructed to send this type problem in for repairs.

rod

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My UPS folks said they've been sending them back left and right. Some folks have been sending them back for repair multiple times.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SON OF A BITCH! I just got the goddamn rings of death!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 747
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor_sekou, did you get a chance at Halo 3 before the ROD? I'm still waiting for my XBox 360 to be returned.

After sending in the XBox 360 for repairs/replacement, you can expect to be without it for 3 to 6 weeks.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got sniped in an online match then the screen went green, so I restarted the system and it froze on the Bungie load screen. So I'm like "oh shit don't tell me its..." then bam like that it did it. I took the hard drive off and it worked again so I'm like cool. I tried putting it back on and the system wouldn't boot, so I called the customer support center and I am really bad at hearing through accents so after 20 minutes of that it starts to work again with the hard drive. So for now I am not getting it repaired and I am going to try and see if it will work online.

I would really hate to wait 3-6 weeks for a new one and on top of that they want $100 to fix it.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But looking at the picture above it was the 2,3,and 4 quadrants that were flashing not the 1,3,and 4 so I wonder if that makes a difference?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn those Seattle accents.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 748
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For my XBox 360, the upper-right quadrant light was the only light that did not flash red (just ike in the picture above).

http://support.microsoft.com/k b/907534

As Digitalvision mentioned in his 09/03/07 post, Wiki has a page regarding the XBox 360 ROD and the diagnostic pattern of the quadrants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X box_360_technical_problems

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its official that son of a bitch is done and I don't think I am going to get it repaired or buy another one.

....that was until I found out the repairs are actually free, so I am sending it in and in the mean time I think I will spend some time with the old trusty PS2 and the Wii. But damn I wish I didn't buy Halo 3.

(Message edited by Mayor_sekou on October 03, 2007)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor_sekou, you are correct, the cost for shipping and repairs to the XBox 360 are on MS's dime. Could you sell Halo 3 on Ebay?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 753
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now have the XBox 360 back and in usage. We now have a portable fan dedicated to heat relief for the Xbox!

Kids are happy again.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased the first HALO about 1 1/2 years ago and have been playing it crazily ever since. I think it is one of the best games ever put together. I play on a Mac......I don't have the luxury of owning a video gaming system. I haven't found any other games for the Mac that I really like.
Does anyone know of any decent Mac games?

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaming on a Mac is a foreign concept to me. I didn't think it existed which is partially the reason I will never buy one so I cant help you there.

Vetal, how long did it take to get back? I just sent mine out today.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 756
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor_sekou, we had 2 separate RoD incidents on our XBox 360.

1st RoD problem occurred in early July, and it took 3 weeks to receive a replacement XBox.

2nd RoD problem occurred late August, and it took 3 weeks to receive a replacement XBox.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Does anyone know of any decent Mac games?"

Oregon Trail

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol sharmaal. classic

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3527
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, cool! I remember Oregon Trail! You had to type BANG real fast or you'd get shot. Honest! That was the state of the art in gaming then.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny..................really funny i'm rofl

That_gurl_kat
Username: That_gurl_kat

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the ROD after having my 360 for about 8 months... took seven full weeks for them to send me back a refurbished one. It's been about 2 months now and it's still running fine... but I remain cautiously optimistic that it won't hapen again.

(and Jimaz.. BANG... Hilarious!

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least I can still play Oregon Trail...and Carmen SanDiego. Too damn bad someone doesn't create a Donner Party game.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were other early games called Adventure and Hunt the Wumpus. I never played the latter but read about it in an early issue of Creative Computing.

Here's something about The Oregon Trail. (There was a graphical version?)

Those were the days! :-)

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I got my Xbox back Friday! It didn't take long at all.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering obtaining the new Guitar Hero 3 for the XBox 360. The kids have been playing Halo 3 a lot as of late, but to me, GH3 sounds very interesting. Anyone out there on DYes like or dislike GH3?

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just played GH3 over the weekend for the Wii and it's just as much fun as the first two GH's. Here is a list of the songs available on GH3.

Also, they have a cheat menu, which is a wonderful addition (only have GH1 and don't play it that much, so I don't know if other GH's had it). Enter in the cheat for all songs and bam, a night of seeing how far you can get on "Through the Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce on medium after having three beers is within your grasp.

In my opinion, they're starting to run out of great songs to put on GH3. Cream makes their second appearance, so does SRV and Queens of the Stone Age. But a lot of lesser-loved songs/bands getting some credit: My Name is Jonas by Weezer, Social Distortion, Dead Kennedys, and Sonic Youth among others. There are some duds, but that's just my peculiar music taste talking.

Also, some of the songs are censored. So while I think that personally sucks for more than a few reasons, you may like it if you have kiddies running around.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 802
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently the new styled Les Paul Guitar controller is only sold as part of the GH3 bundle?

Too bad, because the Les Paul looks good.

Purchased the GH3 bundle for $99 today. Saw the guitar (only) for $59 (not Les Paul :-().

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.