Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Detroit Marathon Runners! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be my first one. Seeing the streets taken over by thousands of motivated people last year sucked me in.

We all know Belle Isle, but anyone run Rouge or Palmer park? Any close suburban parks? How are they?

a day shy of 6 weeks away! Lets train hard!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10065
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the reminder, Vas.

I started my serious training a few weeks back, in the heat.

I was looking at Windsor from a friend's loft just this morning before the sunrise, and told her I'd call her from the course and wave from their Riverfront Park!

Who's training are you following?

Always remember, in a pinch FAKE a smile. Your body will rush out a few choice endorphins even with the manufactured effort.

Cheers!

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be my first Detroit Free Press Marathon but my fourth one overall and am definitely looking forward to it.

I am by no means a competitor but I just look at it as a reason to get out there and run with a crowd (and besides, no matter how bad you are, there are always people out there slower).

As for training, most of mine is done out in Oakland County along the Clinton River Trail (and into Macomb County to Stoney Creek Park) and along the Paint Creek Trail and the back roads that cross it. Those hills provide some great endurance training.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hines Drive is an excellent site for a long training run.

I ran it two years ago now and plan to again next year after getting back in fighting shape from the baby.
After training in Detroit I was surprised that the actual route had more changes in elevation than I would have predicted from our flat city.

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be my 2nd, assuming that a recently aggravated groin pull doesn't keep me out of the running :-(

Gannon

Post Number: 10158
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ligament injuries are the worst healers.

Maybe second only to broken hearts, heh.

Margdar
Username: Margdar

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I SO wanted to do this! Didn't find out about it (newbie Downtown resident) until it was WAY too late to start training. Next year for sure!

Gannon

Post Number: 10172
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margdar,

Welcome...how far do you run now...average and longest?

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margdar, there is also a half-marathon; all the same international glitz.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.