Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Duly's Coney Island Approved. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5540
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba had a wonderful experience with the Albanians at Duly's on W. Vernor and Junction.
The boys put out some mighty fine food. The neighborhood looks like it is improving since jjaba last visited in the 1950s.

Perfect day.
1. Ford Rouge Tour with line running.
2. Henry Ford Museum with photo on Rosa Parks bus, in her seat.
3. Duly's for Coney dogs.
4. Motown Hitsville Museum. Excellent narrated tour.
5. Tigers wins over Seattle game. Front row seat, second deck.
6. Bed.

Thanks for the referral to Duly's.

jjaba on the Westside.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duly's is the best

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10225
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my earliest childhood memories...talk about comfort food.

Love that place, love those guys.

They wouldn't recognize me from Adam, but they remember my cousin who left town a decade ago.

And that's ok.

They saw him more when his mom had the pub across the street.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be "home" October 17 - 25. Just made a mental note to do a lunch at Duly's.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gannons pub ?

Gannon

Post Number: 10229
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon's on the Highway, yeah.

Used to tease, when my father and grandmother were not there, that I was the ONLY Gannon in the joint...used to get Ann a wee bit toasted.

But her driver's license didn't say it...

Pgn421

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Know Ann and i think her husbands name is Jim? Kathy used to bartend there. we used to have some good conversations. She was a wonderful lady.
PGN

Gannon

Post Number: 10235
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We lost Jim and his amazing wisdom and humor a little over a year ago.

Pgn421

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how are you related to Jim?

Pgn421

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how are you related to Jim?

Gannon

Post Number: 10236
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, didn't see this. He married my aunt.

He made me laugh for years, one of the smartest men I've ever, ever known.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5541
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, sorry jjaba missed you at Duly's. That whole neighborhood is a throwback, until you ride up Clark St. and see what's left of Cadillacs.
GM sure does wonders for Detroit neighborhoods, eh.

We had Coneys, chili cheese fries, and the homemade blueberry pie. Pure Detroit delicacies.

Drove The Blvd. from SW end to Motown Museum. Amazing disinvestment over the years.

jjaba, Westsider.

Gannon

Post Number: 10246
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

It breaks my heart to go through their, now that Fisher Body is no more.

My father used to be the fellow who passed out the paychecks at Fleetwood, then eventually the Controller or second to at Fort Street before the consolodation...some of my earliest childhood memories are seeing those Fleetwood coaches on those special trucks headed over to Clark Street to get their chassis and drivetrains.

And the slag trucks. Ugh

But yeah, that was always a booming neighborhood...between the GM and Ford Rouge job-fountains those were economic havens.

If your parents didn't work there, they worked in some support of those who did.

You can't go back again...sometimes it is better to leave the memories unscathed.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5542
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, jjaba also remembers the stacks of coaches being driven around SW Detroit between plants. The drivers sat on orange crates. It was a site to behold.

In Lansing,jjaba noted that they drove coaches around stuffed inside semis, built expecially for the GM production lines.

Sadly, the Ford F-150 tour does not show us the coach drop. The wizards who designed the tour didn't allow visitors to see the most exciting part of any auto tour.

jjaba's father ran the envelope factory on the SE corner of Roosevelt and Michigan Avenue. The Canvasser Ford Garage is being re-habbed, and they bought some lots on Roosevelt for parking. What's in there now?

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.