Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Take my stupid clothes already! (thrift store help) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i spent my lunch hour driving to st. vinnie's on gratiot and then to salvation army on fort-- neither of which take clothing drop offs anymore.

can someone tell me a thrift store (that is open today!) that is near to downtown where i can drop this stuff off? i do not want to haul it all back up to my apartment tonight...

thanks!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make drops of goods frequently to the Salvation Army in downtown Royal Oak, or Southfield. Never been turned away. I just dropped off a few bags of toys and clothes my daughter out grew.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6309
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friday, they put some sort of drop-off at the Sunoco station at Jefferson and Van Dyke.

I'll be using it to clean out my closets.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Value World on Woodward near the New Center Area. There used to be a St. Vincent's on Grratiot and McDougall, but they closed up.

The Salvation Army on Mound still takes them. So does the one you missed WAYYYYY out on Gratiot. Try some of the other Thrift Stores along Gratiot between 14 and 16 Mile. They should take your clothes.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakesuperior,

Just leave it all in your car...I'm sure it'll be taken care of for you, eventually.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 907
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakesuperior, try having annual or seasonal clothing swaps with your friends.

Do you know of this?

Call the friends, tell them to bring some good clothes that they just don't want to wear anymore and it's a potluck/cocktail/clothing swap party. One at a time you hold up each piece of clothing, say what size it is, how many times you've worn it, whatever else. Someone wants it, you give it/throw it to them. It's a hoot.

Whatever is left over is taken by the host/hostess to whatever Salvation Army place of his/her choosing.

It's a great idea for even men's and children's clothing.

P.S. If two people want the same piece, you have to have a walk-off. Whoever looks best in the piece by the crowd's judgement gets it. That part is fun!

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake Superior:
The best thrift shop in the State of Michigan is on the shores of Gitchee Gummee, in the town of Ontonagon.
Also, for the best St. Vinnies, try Gladstone, Michigan on the shore of Lake Michigan. This week is the best time to visit those places. Ohhh, the color!

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

potluck/cocktail/clothing swap party

Advertizing thusly should garner a fair amount of interest. I think craigslist.com has special sections just for these types of events. Good luck!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like what Kathinozarks said to an extent, you can just pass on (hand on/down) your clothes to another relative or friend.

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call some of the downtown churches - they may operate a food/clothing pantry that could use your donation.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4119
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are Saint Vinnies closing up everywhere? The big one on Outer Drive had closed not too long ago. Browsing it was always a fun event once a year or so.

They had special days where one could buy shirts and stuff really cheap--like maybe five or ten for a buck for a day.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe a lot of the Thrift Store within city limits haven't been receiving enough donations. The one on Gratiot just recently closed and is now a DTE Payment center. The Salvation Army still sits empty downtown. Sunshine left their 8 Mile rd. location for the Avenue of Thrifty Shops (Gratiot between 14 and 16 Mile).

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4131
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember back in Madison during the 1990s when greedy parents would drop their five-year-olds into the collection containers for Goodwill located at various shopping centers.

These kids were told to gather the clothes, etc. and hand the stuff up so that their parents could pack them into their trucks and sell the booty at their own garage sales--until the cops finally halted that cottage business. I believe the drop-off containers in Madison were discarded, as a result.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 29, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.