Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ::: FSC Meetups ::: » First FSC for October 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10552
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey y'all, I was so caught up in conversation with Mikie and the newly tangible Kid_dyn-o-MITE, and mourning the early departure of Monahan568 that we forgot to talk about this week's meetup.

Any suggestions? The field is w-i-d-e open, and I don't want to keep making the decisions...although Kathleen would get another chance to see the Old Miami if that were the case!

Still awaiting Pgn421's arrival, you didn't miss him Kathleen. He'd rather celebrate a birthday closer to home, understandable.

Cheers to all, let's get this thing rolling for our fall and winter networking!

Gannon

Post Number: 10554
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't posts in this thread bump it to the top of the heap?!

'nuther glitch, Lowell?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's Tavern on 7 just west of Wyoming. His beer is cold and he makes a great burger.

Gannon

Post Number: 10585
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, Gnome.

Do we have a second for that one, or another choice for the voting?!

Submissions end on Tuesday, 5:00 pm EST.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome- Toms Tavern is still open? I thought it was closed.

Gannon

Post Number: 10590
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will live another day, if we can help it.

Talk soon, Pgn, still haven't dug out those parts...spent the BETTER part of the day at the Renaissance Festival yesterday, then what with our Conspiracy Theory Brew & View at Twingo's just didn't have the time to burrow. And that Battle Creek Saturday stretched until the wee morning hours...ugh. Need my beauty rest...

Cheers!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6384
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's Tavern 862-9768, I just called no answer.

Unless I'm really mistaken, Tom's has very short hours, one of his bartenders was a regular with me when I was still bartending.

I like the suggestion but it may not fit the FSC's late starts.

BTW Tom died quite a few years ago. I will never forget his growl, the first time I went in there.

He got off his "throne", came over to our table and demanded our order.

We asked what beers were available.

His reply: "I asked you what did you want, I'm not standing here to tell you what I've got!"

RIP Tom, your's was the only place in the world that I actually ordered a Bud for myself.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Aug 17, 2005: Tom's Tavern.
quote:

But you might have to call ahead to see if they’re serving because this place doesn’t have regular business hours.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2504
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it time for another visit to Abick's? That was one of the suggestions last week before settling on the Old Miami.

Gannon

Post Number: 10623
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's look at the Hockey Schedule and go to Abick's on a Home Game night, and plan ahead to insure some of those sloppy joes!

I'm cool with Tom's for this week, if we can get them to stay open for us.

Then we have Bratt's Eastside bar...

Also, Kathleen, when is Dave playing somewhere cool in the city on a Thursday this fall or winter?!

I'd like to check out other interesting things in some venue's schedules, too...turn this into more than just an extended drinking conversation.

Cheers!

Gnome

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll call over and talk to Ron and see if he'll be around on thursday. He will do whatever anyone requests, and will stay open if people are there, but when folks don't come through the door, Ron closes the door.
What are your requirements: # of people, hours, gear, etc

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggested Tom's a few weeks ago. I can walk there! (And more importantly, I can walk home.)

Gnome

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's doesn't open until 5 pm or so. Sometimes later, sometimes not at all, so I won't be able to call until after 5.

I need to tell Ron - the owner - something more than "some people might show up around 10 pm", I need a little info...

Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome:
I'll be there around 8PM (10's nearly my bedtime).

None
Username: None

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon

I realize I'm not part of the Dyes click, however the morbid curiosity to meet you in person is just killing me

When I'm at work/home slows is with in walking distance for me so the next time you all do Slows give me a shout and I'll be there, my company truck has asset mngt. on the glass, you see it parked on Michigan and swing by the big shop door were usually parting to the we hours anyways, till then

Gannon

Post Number: 10654
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, None. If you live that close, you may already have crossed paths with me. Thanks for even the morbid part of the curiosity. Don't want you dead on MY account.

This Thursday is out of the question, I will be driving up to Minneapolis and back from Thursday morning on.

Cheers!

Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there an FSC tonight - is it at Tom's -elsewhere?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 739
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And how early could it possibly start? I have a curfew. :p

None

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe

I cant imagine meeting you in person, Online your like the Orical from the Matrix

The reality could be interesting

Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe:

The earlier the better - never understood the 9-10 pm start thing on a school night.

So - since no one as made the call at this late hour, I'm calling Tom's and I'll be there at eight. Tom's is on the south side of Seven Mile a block west of Wyoming. It kind of looks like the Douglas Farm from Green Acres.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe, in person, I am a dumpling. I shall await developments and see if I can stop in at Tom's for a bit this evening.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The oracle was an old black woman if I recall, who was a lot like G-Gramma Lucy.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I am getting there, but have a ways to go to be that wise.

None

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is G-Gramma Lucy because a Google/Wikipedia search tells me nothing

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was the first woman tribal chair in the country and a very valued person at Bay Mills Band of Chippewa. I wish I could be like her.

I found a great site about the Matrix characters, and None, you may have hit pretty close to the mark. This is funny:

Oracle, Benevolent, Enigmatic, Profound, Kinda like the nice next door neighbor.

Find out who you match on the Matrix (by the way, I matched NEO, of all people. No way!):

http://www.quizilla.com/users/ trinitykills/quizzes/What%20Ma trix%20Persona%20Are%20You?/

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 749
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a little bit of info on Grandma Lucy:

http://www.baymills.org/histor y/ira.html

She was my grandmother, too.

Gnome

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Guys/gals - I called over to Tom's but I couldn't give him any info because you guys never told me what to say.

How many? how late? food? jeeze, guys, what am I suppose to tell Ron, "some folks might stop by".?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, is he going to be there and will there be cold beer?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 755
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm heading that way, anyway. See you if you're there!

Jams

Post Number: 6422
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I won't make it tonight.

But I hope to pick up again on our conversation from Sunday.

I plan on being at Fort Wayne, Sat, Oct 13 for the workday, maybe then?

I love stripping and sanding the windows to prepare them for Mikie's glazing, he does an incredible job.

And maybe, we can check out the "mound". Ever since my visit to Serpent Mound in Ohio, years ago, I've been curious about the "Mound Builders" and have examined a few theories about them.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry we can't make it tonight. See you at the workday, Jams!!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 756
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what a place! I had to leave before the late crowd got there, but the three of us had fun and got to hear a lot of stories. You all must see this place. Open Wed-Sat from about 5 to whenever.

I won't be able to be at the workday as I will be visiting elsewhere. Maybe the next one!

Cambrian

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job Gazhekwe and Oliver Douglas. Great Venue! Let us do it again.

Gnome

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear you guys had a nice time at Tom's. Personally I like the stools with their legs cut at an angle to account for the tilted floor.

How many folks showed up and how late did you stay?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just the three of us, I left around 10:30.

Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I left about 12:30. Tom' is great, Matt and Ron are very hospitable and very YesDetroit!

Gnome

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad to hear they treated you right, as you can tell it is a little different, but very cool.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got there first, only stayed about an hour, but I loved the place. It was nice talking with OliverDouglas and Cambrian too.

Gnome

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering ... but do you use your real names or just your screen names at these meet ups?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 772
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we have to say our screen names or nobody would know who we were, but we also used our real names. I already knew Cambrian, but, since I have CRS, now I can't remember what OliverDouglas' real name is anyway, so he remains Oliver Douglas for now. ; )

Gnome

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that sounds rather funny, but it makes sense. I don't know how I'd react to someone calling me Gnome, guess it would take some getting use to. Beer helps in such instances.

Jams

Post Number: 6448
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it becomes quite easy to accept hearing being called by your screen name after a while.

I've become quite comfortable, being called JamS in the "tangible" world by the people I've met through this site.

And the reverse is also true, I can easily refer to either a person's screen name or their real name when I meet with them in real life.

Although, I must wonder why someone would use the screen name "Gannon" instead of "IluvHiFI". :-)

Gnome

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of like a Superheros summit. "Do I go as Clark Kent or Superman."

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since our screen names are unique, it's a lot easier to keep everyone's names straight when there are more than DYes folks together. How else will you know which Tom or Mike you're talking to or about? Of course, some of us post under our given names (in one form or another), so that helps!

Gnome

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand the logic behind using screen names, I just think it's funny.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't ever get used to people from here calling me Bob.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.