Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » House demolition « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever demolished a house before? If so, did you hire a contractor? How much did they cost? I'd do it myself, but I imagine it would take a long time and a lot of band-aids.

I'm looking to purchase and demo a 1200 square foot 1-story aluminum sided house on a crawlspace, and just leave it as an empty lot. The house is next door to me, bank-owned, and is the eyesore of the neighborhood.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any information to share.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you need a permit to raze a house (like a construction permit, only different). Also, precautions must be taken about environmental concerns (asbestos becoming particulate, etc.)

Wally

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A permit is required for demolition. Utilities need to be capped. The environmental concerns would be a good reason to have a professional do the demo. Plus, I'm assuming they'd probably have it done quickly, in a day or two.

Just wondering if anyone's been through this before.

(Message edited by Wally on October 02, 2007)

None
Username: None

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what I do Wally, 4500 is the going rate with disposal fees and fuel being what they are

However It's a whole lot of fun to rent the equipment and have a go of it It's not like you can hurt anything ya know, anyways there are a lot of really good contractors in your area that would do a probono if you pitched it right

Or screw it paint it orange and burn the front porch off and DFunk will feature it in his photo blog of Detroit which is a smoken all around cool place

Wally

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$4500 is the going rate? Sounds like a deal considering how much work it would be to do it myself and the time involved. What would be the incentive for them to do it probono? Is there enough salvageable material in a house that would make it worth their while?

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Architectural Salvage Warehouse will dismantle and remove reusable, architectural, historic material plus give you a tax write-off for the donation.

None

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Residential demolition bids out at 4 to 1 1000sq.=4000$ so 1200sq=4500

The probono thing is all about the who what where and why, to rid a neighborhood of a constant threat such as a crack house with a notorious rep, thats for the community and shits and giggles, however like I said it all boils down to the situation

Salvaging is a Great plan, aluminum siding caught my eye not to mention all of the valuable building materials that can be donated to local rehab projects, It's a lot of fun really does not take that long and the karma is a good thing

None

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Architectural Salvage Warehouse

4885 15th St
Detroit, MI 48208
(313) 896-8333

http://www.aswdetroit.org/

Great local resource, Thanks for the heads up I completely forgot about them,
I purchased a bunch of steam rads from them back in the day, cool

Wally

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome, thanks for the information! I will definitely give them a ring, and report back if I get the property and go this route.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10364
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally - that is a great thing you are doing for your neighborhood.

You shoudl set up a paypal account if there is a significant cost to do this. I would be willing and I am sure others here would be willing to pitch in a few bucks towards the demo costs.

None

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An escrow account set up under a non profit tax number is the usual route, with the bank handling the payment of the funds upon completion and approval of those cosigned on the account

Pay pal will screw with you on fees, the bank charges a flat rate and will wave the fees if the conditions meet the boards approval

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another option, although one you're probably not interested in. Lighthouse House Community Development rehabs homes and sells them to first-time home buyers. They have been doing this in Pontiac for several years and started doing it in Ferndale earlier this year with the Porch Light Partnership.

The way it works is they buy distressed homes in strong neighborhoods, rehab them and then sell them to first-time home buyers at cost. Many of these have been sold to women with solid jobs. There's more information on it here:

Ferndale's Porch Light Partnership to sell first rehabbed house
http://metromodemedia.com/devn ews/porchlightferndale0035.asp x

Again, this option probably isn't what you're looking for, but it could be a cost-effective way for you to remove the blight and strengthen the neighborhood. Just an idea.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4233
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once demoed a small dilapidated cottage on the back of my lot. Had the utility companies disconnect the gas and electricity, then I spent a summer slicing it up with a sawzall and crowbar. Great fun!
This was before Detroit Architectural Salvage was around, of course.

None

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway

Thats a cool thing they have going there, Saginaw apparently has some good programs also however you don't here a lot about it in the news or on the street will have to google it and see what they have going

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2626
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chainsaws can be fun to use too, just be careful you're only sawing wood. Plaster and iron pipes dull the chain pretty fast. And you can maim yourself if you aren't careful, so no beer until the job is done. :-(

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.