Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Getting into canada with a DUI « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm (hopefully) going on a week-long vacation in canada with a couple of friends, one of whom has a DUI that he received in michigan a few years back. canada's law states that people from other countries with a DUI on their record can't enter the country. my friend filed letters of recommendation and an appeal with the canadian gov. to get permission to visit the country but was denied.

all we want to do is go camping and spend our hard-earned money in their country-- do you really think we'll get turned away at the border? anyone have experience in this?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.smartertravel.com/t ravel-advice/old-dui-stay-away -from-canada.html?id=2327630

""Those who have been convicted of an offence OUTSIDE CANADA, and have had 5 years elapse since the termination of the custodial portion (if any) of the sentence imposed (not the sentence served), may apply for a Minister's APPROVAL OF REHABILITATION. The Minister's Approval will permanently remove the inadmissibility caused by conviction."

You can apply for an Approval of Rehabilitation at Canadian visa offices in Buffalo, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York or Seattle; the Embassy website includes links to individual offices.

For now, the most stringent screening seems to be on travelers who fly to Canada. Although you have to show acceptable ID when you drive across the border, I saw no evidence of any data mining on my most recent trips. And I don't know how many of the visitors by air actually get background checks. But you can't count on avoiding a data search, even when you enter by car. A border agent always has the right to check."

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'v been over there 3 times in the past month. Not once did they ask if I was ever convicted of anything, or run my drivers license to see if I was in any kind of data base. The standard questions were always about contraband like Tobacco, guns, and interestingly, pepper spray.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6397
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is that interesting?

Like a handgun, pepper spray is illegal in Canada.

If you try it without getting the proper approval first, and get caught. You're Fucked.

Them's are the rules.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pepper spray seems benign to me. Would customs consider it illegal for me to have one container for my personal use in my glove box? Or are they looking for someone that has a case to sell on the black market? One of the times I went there I had it in the car, but they mentioned nothing about pepper spray. That was a later trip when I was in the truck.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6420
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A definite YES.

My sister had a big problem one night, because of the pepper spray on her keychain.

As a Canadian, she was entitled to enter Canada legally, but as an American resident carrying pepper spray, she was subject to arrest, if she entered.

It took a couple of hours, but Canada Customs finally agreed to dispose of it for her.

Just another one of our many family stories of dealing with border crossings, as Canadians living in the US.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10663
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pepper spray is the only thing I've ever lost in almost thirty years of border crossings.

Only once.

I lost my virginity in Mother's Pizza's parking lot, though.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6427
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop looking for it, they'll call the cops next time they see you there.

:-)

Aiw

Post Number: 6398
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon your Virginity thief has a date with death.

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=483

Cambrian, it's illegal in any amount. Although you can buy a form of it legally as Bear Repellant.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I came back from a camping trip in Canadia with a couple of nice T-Bone steaks in the cooler leftover. Unfortunately it was during the mad cow scare so the customs officials decided to confiscate the "contraband." Hope they enjoyed their steak dinner after that....

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a DUI if they don't ask you didn't get caught. If they ask about your history and do a computer check, you're not getting in. If they check the computer, you WILL be in there.

Now and then people have a story about getting in by paying an administration fee on the spot. Sounds like that is at the discretion of the officer and may have been in the older days before the current mindset of security.

Doesn't matter if the conviction was a misdemeanor, to them it is a felony - you are a felon. I was in this boat and did the application for rehab status well after the 5 years had elapsed since the conviction.

I crossed a few times w/o being asked about convictions and got in. Don't ask, don't tell? But, if asked about any convictions, it's hard to lie when they may already know the answer from the plate check.

No I did not like any of this but this is the reality I encountered.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 975
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They won't care about a DUI, especially if you're not the driver. Even then, as long as your license is valid, you're good to go. Rule #1 at the border, answer questions asked, no more, no less.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a dui i got in , go figure

just don't say you are gong to work there or if you have a certain felony, you probably will be turned back

(Message edited by lefty2 on October 05, 2007)

Ptero

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're saying they knew about a dui and did not refuse you, or the non-driver?

In my experience, if you have a certain felony, which would include any dui, you'll get turned back - IF they know about it. Yeah they do care about it. Valid license has zero to do with it.

Again, ANY dui is a felony to them. Doesn't matter what Michigan (or wherever) called it.

True 'dat on only answering questions asked, no more, no less.

Aiw

Post Number: 6402
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakesuperior, can you send me an e-mail...

I have a little more information for you...

Andrew@internationalmetropooli s.com

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the appeal to the government include applying for an entry waiver via the Canadian consulate? Because that's the proper procedure.

There's fees involved and probably a long wait.

But like others said, he could risk it and see if he can get through via the don't ask/don't tell route, but of course if he gets caught I assume that would surely prevent a successful waiver application in the future.

Ptero

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got 'caught' crossing and they turned me back. Actually, they had me sign a piece of paper stating I withdraw my request to enter, so technically I was not refused. I turned myself back. That avoided a negative flag on my record. That was a good thing, all things considered.

I did not try to enter a second time, not knowing if THAT would cause a flag and get in the way of the whole application thing.

My application for Criminal Rehabilitation (as they call it) was approved upon applying to the consulate, though it took a good 8 months or so after turning in the package.

btw, my offence was owi, not dui, it's all the same to them.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just went to Canada holding a passport. The guards swiped all the passports in the car. So I am assuming all this information is in the system.

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: we made it through the border! My poor friend was so nervous. And seeing as we crossed over to Canada at the very deserted Grand Portage, MN border crossing, we received the border crossing guard's full attention! Anyway, it was fine-- he just asked the normal questions.

HOWEVER-- on our way back INTO the U.S. at the Soo, the US border guard got all up in our business. The problem? That my friend was driving, his wife was in the backseat, and I was sitting shotgun. This guard was really insulted that my friend "put his wife in the backseat." Wtf?

Whatever-- our trip around Lake Superior was sweet!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3019
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trying to rile and seeing how you react - women behind the men - could be seen as a 'possible Muslim thing' - especially up in the boonies coming back from Canada, since some people they've picked up came through such isolated northern crossing points

or he was just bored silly and wanted to mess with ya - that would be the fun part of that job

(Message edited by lilpup on October 31, 2007)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming over during a holiday is never fun. You can tell really quick the ones that are not happy to be working.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Border Guard has to be the most temperamental job. They are either real nice and friendly with you or total A-holes.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5100
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they trained to be dickheads? Or do they jut hate their jobs?

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a few interesting experiences at the Windsor/Detroit border. In my previous job I did quite a bit of border crossing, at least two or three times a week. The border guards would often give me a hard time when coming into the US because of my driver's license. Due to a crappy wallet I had, some holes had been poked through my license by the zipper on the change pouch. They kept asking me if I'd been arrested, and didn't believe me when I said I hadn't. Eventually one of them told me that when one is arrested, the police usually staple your license to whatever paperwork they've written up - apparently the holes in mine looked like it had been stapled. Strange...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.