Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » A Suggestion, Lowell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible to identify those Forum members who live in Detroit? Perhaps have their screename in a different color?
Reason for the request: many topics spin off into city/suburb battles. For example, when I read a post which states what actions Detroit must take to attract folks, business, 'cool people', etc, I always wonder if they live in the city. I am occasionally surprised to find that the most ardent Detroit supporters don't live in the city, or in the state...it's really odd to me that folks who haven't ever lived in Detroit adopt it, kinda like 'adopt a highway' I guess. I give greater weight to opinions about Detroit, its crime, beauty, taxes, whatever, when the opinion comes from somebody who actually resides in the city.
I understand that many folks love Detroit, but love comes in many shades...some love it from a distance, others for what is was, some for what they hope it will become, still others love Detroit because they don't live there anymore.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2990
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Reason for the request: many topics spin off into city/suburb battles."

I would expect a lot more of that if your suggestion was implemented.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3516
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is already pretty obvious as to who lives where most of the time, most of us make no secret of it.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like that bit from Catcher in the Rye.

Catholics are always trying to find out if you're Catholic. It might not make a difference in how they treat you, but they want to know. (Paraphrasing, as I can't dig out my well-worn copy right now)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you suburbanites look alike to me...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, a pretty pointless suggestion, especially considering the fact that the board does not exist simply to discuss only good things limited to the city of Detroit...the board is about discussing the issues facing the entire region...

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we are at it, why not place arm bands on certain groups....

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wouldn't mind some kind of option to make a profile for yourself, add a photo. At the very least, make the names BIGGER FONT.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6656
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's keep our identity a secret in this forum for NATIONAL UNSECURITY reasons. We don't want BIG BROTHER find out about our plans to change this nation.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I red maple leaf next to the Canadians' screen names might be cute.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5478
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where one resides actually means very little on this forum on how much someone cares about the city, nor on what weight their thoughts or ideas should provide. So I'm against that idea from the get go.

To somehow give value to a location as to how important ones ideas are makes little sense.

Should the folks living downtown be given greater weight than those living in the neighborhoods? Should the folks living in the inner burbs be given greater weight than those living in the outer burbs? Should out of state residents (who thru economic reasons) no longer live here be given lesser value to their forum input?

I live in St. Clair Shores, and yet I've lived in Detroit for 30 years before that. I still love the city, and do volunteer work to help make it a better place.

Lowell also no longer lives in Detroit, so does that actually make this a Farmington forum??

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3518
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell doesn't live in Detroit? I admit I never would have imagined that.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit, it can be quite hard sometimes to decipher who is on what side. With all the sarcasm, semantics, quoting and $50 words being thrown around, it can be quite too much at times.

I like the armbands idea. LOL

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.uulongview.com/serm ons/bellies_with_stars.html

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it possible to identify those Forum members who live in Detroit? Perhaps have their screename in a different color?"

WHAT color?
Would that idea be to make some comments more valid than others based on where they live? Then what? Colors for educational background or heritage?
I like it the way it is: one person, one opinion.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most perfect, 1953! "Yooks are not Zooks, Keep Your Butter Side Up!"

If we can't even upload avatars, how in the world is Lowell electronically going to confirm bona-fide city addresses?

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'd need a separate designation for those who live in Detroit but claim a suburban address for insurance purposes. :-)

Doctors
Username: Doctors

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please lowell, no stupid pictures next to people's names. And no lame quotes that you have to read over and over again every-time someone posts a message.

BTW, I am opposed Jimg's suggestion. This is just more division, of which we need less of.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3449
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am occasionally surprised to find that the most ardent Detroit supporters don't live in the city, or in the state ...

Is that true? That's pretty encouraging in a way. It shows Detroit is still loved. Awwww. :-)

Sneeches

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4211
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JimG, as much as I greatly respect your great input to this forum and to the SDF, what Gistok said applies here, "Where one resides actually means very little on this forum as how much someone cares about the city, nor on what weight their thoughts or ideas should provide."

This forum is about the international family of communities that comprise metropolis commonly referred to as Detroit or greater Detroit and the issues, challenges and promises that carries with it.

To identify who does and doesn't live within one of those communities is not possible because it would be impossible to prove definitely where anyone lives without outing their identity.

DetrotiYES never has nor will divulge any information about forum members supplied to us supplied during registration -- besides we would have no way of knowing if it is true. If anyone wishes to out themselves and if anyone else wishes to believe that what they say to be true, that is up to those people. Ditto for the gender, ethnicity or anything else they wish to add.

For my part, I have chosen not to conceal my identity or location. I have lived in the CofD for about two years total on different occasions, Highland Park twenty-seven, Farmington eight and many other places outside of Michigan and the USA for the rest.

BTW, this thread has been moved here into connections as it involves discussion about the forum, not the topic of Detroit per se.

Regarding the suggestion of enabling profiles on this forum with cute little pictures and more, that is possible but deliberately disabled. Trust me, there is enough to do and so many support requests with the simplified version we have that we are not about to take on another load problems for this unpaid task.

One has to rely on words and pictures alone to carry their points across.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are no stars on thars

Jimg

Post Number: 947
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, Gistok, Oakmangirl, Lowell and others. My suggestion wasn't meant to encourage separation; I too try and improve the City "in my own sweet way", tho I haven't lived there for decades.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to take five, to ponder what kind of sly musical reference Jimg may have thrown in there. If I find one, Jimg gets a Time Out, as punishment, as well as having to go out in the back and pick up sticks.

Jimg

Post Number: 948
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha...all I can say is so what...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about ways to continue this exchange, but we could end up sounding like that stupid crap that Ralph J. Gleason wrote, as liner notes, all over the back of Sorceror.
I don't think either one of us wants THAT.
Good job, though, keeping inside the 1959 vein travelled with my volley, Jim.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thread though I completely agree w/Lowell on this. It could/would introduce further division than is already present. The 'global' SE Michigan has a lot that holds it together AND plenty that needs a lot of work.

Personally, I also appreciate Lowell's KISS attitude (Keep It Simple Stupid - and no, no one is stupid, it's just a phrase) regarding bells and whistles. For dial up types, I can't be the only one, the simplicity makes this forum usable and approachable. I can't view or participate in others that have all the snazzy things enabled.

Flash and youtube? Homey don't play 'dat!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Ptero on everything. This is an interesting thread. Last I heard, this site was worth almost $6,000 dollars. Apparently, Lowell knows what he's doing. I get your point. However, you must udnerstand that Detroiters live here at heart. They just don't want to deal with the shit it's citizens and government are dishing out at them. Their families and lives come first. However, no one weants their home (birthplace, residence, long life of presence) to fall to pieces. That's why Lowell welcomes anyone on the site (the good and bad even), so we can get different prespectives on what's happening and how they feel about it.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 13, 2007)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6,000 dollars, where did that come from

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a thread about how much this site is worth in this section a while back. I believe it was 6,000 dollars, although I'm not 100% sure. I know this site is pretty valuable though and Lowell is doing a great job with it.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with Southeastern Michigan has been the exodus from the City of Detroit. So those who have left have contributed to this PROBLEM, even if the contribution is unintentional, even if it is minute in impact. There would be no Fabulous Ruins if SO MANY people with money and values had not left.

I can very much appreciate those people who have WILLINGLY decided to live/stay in the city of Detroit, as they have to deal with higher rates of taxes and insurance.

They have to deal with race-baiting politicians, who seem to have no vision, do not employ out-of-the-box thinking, and engage in rampant nepotism.

They have to deal with an often unresponsive police force.

They have a much higher possibility of residing next to drug dealers, hearing gunshots at night,
having their house broken into - (all things that I have experienced living in Detroit).

And the list goes on - streetlights that don't work, lack of retail options, and on and on.

So I give it up to all those who willingly live in this city, knowing all that they have to sacrifice in order to do so, because they believe that this city can work, and they WALK the WALK.

Finally, GISTOK stated this:

"To somehow give value to a location as to how important ones ideas are makes little sense."

Then why not open eligibility for Detroit City Council and Mayor to anybody in the USA, since where they live doesn't matter??

Aren't many people on this forum arguing for Detroit to return to a ward system, so that particular areas of this city could be represented by a councilperson/aldermen who lives in that area and who theoretically knows what that community needs?? But your statement would seem to contradict such a notion.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.