Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Help with Dial-Up compatibility & Browsers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm stuck with a dial-up connection. Yes availability and cost are factors. DSL and cable...not within this area. Satellite $60+mo.

ISP...peoplepc but just using a temporary connection. I did have the disc in for quite awhile and used it with IE 7, but it removed from "Add & Remove Programs."

Installed Mozilla/Firefox to give it a try. More than a couple of glitches.

PeoplePC tech says "No support/compatibility with Mozilla/Firefox." Are there any comments from forum members with tech work a rounds. Enough for now. Thank you in advance.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand. Do you not want to use IE7? Otherwise, you can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/windo ws/products/winfamily/ie/defau lt.mspx.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 752
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opera is another stable alternative browser.

http://www.opera.com/

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3505
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found it useful to keep at least two web browsers available on each machine. If either crashes you can use the other to download a new copy. Come to think of it, that just happened yesterday on another machine here. I suppose you could FTP a new copy too.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use all 3 browsers. Will probably begin evaluating the Maxthon browser (written in C++) which is out of Asia. http://www.maxthon.com/

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I "get" it, you're recycling a free trial by using different browsers (no shame; we've all done it or tried to do it)? I exclusively use Firefox and may be of some help.

Do you run Windows XP?
You need to explain the glitches in detail.
Obviously, you can connect to the Internet from your PC?

If you want to reply privately, let me know.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl
I'll take you up on your offer privately. How do we touch bases?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.