Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Is Hill & Hill Still Open? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the NW side, and am seldom in the Mack/7 Mile area. I have been wanting to visit Hill & Hill, the tobacconist on Mack, but when I call, the guy never picks up, and the voice-mail prompt reveals nothing, not even that I have, in fact, reached Hill & Hill. A little help?
I have a pressing craving for Butternut and/or Haymarket pipe tobacco, both of which are/were House Blends.

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pass by Hill and Hill just about everyday. As far as I can tell they are still open, I will check again today while I'm out and let your know.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes... still open, and to my knowledge, the only shop for miles after the guy at 10 and Southfield closed a couple years ago.
Just finishing my last of his Haymarket blend this week.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, i saw Jim Simon the owner going in the front door of Hill and Hill on Mack yesterday at 6:30am.

Ravine

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I very much appreciate the assistance from all three of you. I will be heading over there very soon, to see Jim and score some of the very tobacco Krawlspace mentioned.
Haymarket: So good it's gotta be sinful.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great store, ask for advice, they know a lot and are extremely helpful

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am afraid that Jim's business (Hill and Hill) is listed in the 2008 Tax Foreclosure List appearing today in the Sunday Free Press.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cheap cigars and tobacco! On Sale! You better hurry to get your Haystack!

Ravine

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made it over to Hill & Hill, today. I bought a new (old) pipe from Jim's collection and a half-pound bag of Haymarket. Rock, I asked Jim about that list. He said it was some tax business, and added that he has been there for forty-one years, this last remark spoken with a reassuring tone which implied that my anxiety was unnecessary. I already felt somewhat uncomfortable with bringing up the matter, and it would have been unforgivably rude to press the issue, so I took his response at face value, and I am choosing not to worry about it.
I wish he still sold Butternut, but he said it wasn't selling enough, so he discontinued it. Oh well. Haymarket will (more than) suffice. Love it love it love it.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be terrible if they closed for back taxes! I am not sure about pipe tobacco, but cigar smoking is way down from the 90's craze

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, Ravine. Although I am not a smoker, my Sr. law partner used to purchase his cigars there, and I would buy some of Jim's gourmet coffee. Jim is a good guy who has worked hard at making his business go, and I hope that he can ride out the storm.
I assume that he owns the building and that is why he and his address are listed on the Foreclosure List. I thought he leased the property and was a tenant, but tenants also suffer when the landlord/property owner is in arrears on their taxes, and often have to vacate the premises even though they are current on the rent.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.