Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » ::: FSC Meetups ::: » Thursday Dec 20, the last one of Autumn « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7293
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the Red Wings schedule, Away game, so I'll nominate Anchor Bar or McCarthy's on Fort Street.

I also suggest we keep the 8 o'clock start.

As always, alternatives are solicited and all are considered.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5917
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jams, I may show up for this weeks meetup. I was at the function that Lowell was at last Thursday, but had other things to do afterwards.

And if anyone wants more rock concert tickets from 1974-75... (like the ones Lowell was passing out) I'll bring along a bunch... :-)

I'll check back on this thread later this week to find out where...

Jams

Post Number: 7341
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, Kathleen and I, both, selected tickets of shows that were on our birthdays, but there were some groups that played there I'd love to have the tickets from.

You, also explained something about why, I don't remember the Michigan as a concert venue, although I remember it as a nightclub.

I took my girlfriend for dinner there the night of her Prom in 72.

1974-76 I lived and went to school in Rhode Island and then took a job in PA. It was very late in 76 I returned to Detroit for a two week vacation, before heading to Atlanta and Miami for job interviews.

After a week, I was bored, so I decided to see what was available in the photo industry here in Detroit, I was hired at the first studio I interviewed, and have remained here ever since.

Gistok

Post Number: 5918
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

The Michigan Theatre (renamed the Michigan Palace in 1972) was a dinner theatre circa 1972. They had removed the main floor seating and replaced them with tables seating 4 and 2. That didn't go well. From what I've heard the food wasn't all that great. It may have been tempered by the fact that there wasn't a proper kitchen facility in the theatre space.

That didn't last more than a year. Then the Michigan closed, only to be reopened in 1974 as a concert venue (the seats were re-installed). This lasted from 1974-75, with rock concert promotions by Steve Glantz.

Then in late 1975 the Michigan closed for good, only to be gutted for a parking structure sometime in 1976-77 (I've seen both years mentioned).

Not only do I have 1974-75 Michigan Palace concert tickets, but I also was able to secure some seating charts for when the theatre was a supper club in 1972.

If I come on Thursday, I'll bring along some of the Michigan Palace seating charts, as well as rock concert tickets.

When Mr. Pieroni gave me a private tour of the closed off sections of the former theatre, we visited the Theatre Managers Office on the 2nd (Mezzanine level) floor. There were old unused (and used) concert tickets lying all over the furniture and floor... hundreds and hundreds! It was sorta like Captain Jack Sparrow (of Pirates of the Caribbean) when he came upon the room full of treasure... that was what I felt when I entered that room.

When I asked Mr. Pieroni if I could have some tickets (there was an empty plastic trash bag in the room), he answered... take as many as you like!

And people wonder why I like the man! :-)

Here's some of the 16 or so different intact tickets I was able to find...
http://www.redshift.com/~shiff lett/Concert_Tickets.jpg

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the history Gistok! I selected the Brownsville station ticket. All though I was only in K-garden in 1975, I have fond memories of my dad cranking "Martian Boogie" loud enough to shake the windows. Even though I'm sure it was mentioned last week, I did not realize those tickets were from the Michigan Theatre. I'll cherish it all that much more.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, those speakers!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah! Dad would like Mikie, who happens to be an acoustics engineer.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2661
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked up the April 19, 1975 ticket for Bob Seger. That date happened to be my 18th birthday!! I was out elsewhere that evening with friends celebrating my first day of legal drinking!

Thanks, Gistok! And Lowell!!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok-

I was the recipient of one of those tickets that Lowell was sharing with all and so was my wife. We really liked them, so please bring more if you have them, and thanks so much for getting them in the first place. This may likely be my last FSC as we are soon to be going on another "adventure", so I look forward to meeting you if you show up. I've appreciated your posts and the Lego structures you and your compadres put together are something to behold.

Look forward to seeing everyone Thursday!

By the way, where are we going to be this Thursday. It seems that we have not officially decided......Kathleen, Jams?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2662
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Anchor Bar gets my vote!!

Jams

Post Number: 7347
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two votes for Anchor, polls close Wednesday 5 o'clock.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anchor for us! Makes three.

Jams

Post Number: 7349
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She gets a vote too, so that's four.

Or you'll be sleeping on the couch. :-)

Plymouthres

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She says you are right! She wins. Four it is!

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

I'd love to have a ticket from the Michigan Palace for the New York Dolls show I saw there in the mid-70's. Of course, you'd probably make me come back to the D to get it at an FSC function, but that can't happen until spring. I was just there a week and a half ago.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3198
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a song for you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TaHMG_SvUkw

Jams

Post Number: 7351
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pam,
Who could have thought that a 1/2 Scotsman would have to introduce an Irishman to the joy of Jamieson's and Tullamore Dew?

Gistok

Post Number: 5930
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austinjohn,

Sorry, but there were no New York Dolls tickets found there. The only ones I found were...

1) BOB SEGER
2) REO SPEEDWAGON
3) SLY & THE FAMILY STONE
4) ZZ TOP & T-REX
5) SPENCER DAVIS with PRETTY THINGS
6) STRAWBS & GUESTS
7) NEKTAR and PAVLOV'S DOG
8) THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND
9) COCKNEY REBEL
10) JO JO GUNNE and ARGENT
11) ALEX HARVEY/BROWNSVILLE STATION
12) SPIRIT & IRON BUTTERFLY
13) THE KINKS
14) LESLIE WEST
15) AEROSMITH

And one each HAWKWIND, GEORGE CARLIN and OHIO PLAYERS.

OK guys, since I'll be playing Santa, I guess I'll have to show up! :-)

I may know my movie palaces and office towers, but I'm ignorant about where the Anchor Bar is! :-(

Location?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gistok! The Anchor Bar is located at 450 W Fort St. between First and Cass.

See you there!!

Jams

Post Number: 7360
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Anchor it is!

8pm or roll in when you can.

Gistok

Post Number: 5950
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's a good place to park near the Anchor Bar? On street, or?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2665
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the street or in the adjacent free parking lot.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The gutting of the Michigan theatre began in March of 1977. I was there the week before the carnage began.

Gistok

Post Number: 5963
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56packman. I thought 1977 was correct.

Thanks Kathleen.

Gistok

Post Number: 5966
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a good time at my first FSC meeting!

Hope you folks liked the tickets! :-)

Wanna see what they're worth? Check out this EBAY Store:

http://stores.ebay.com/ACE-CON CERT-TICKETS

Jams

Post Number: 7371
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Gistok, for your generosity in sharing those tickets and seating chart.

The monetary value is not as important to me as having another piece of this City's history, especially as they were a gift.

Hope this will not be your only FSC, I wanted to talk a bit more with you, but Plymouthres' revelation kept my attention.

Plymouthres and Mrs. PR,
Congratulations and the best to you. You'ld better let me know when you get back in town, and you'll be sorely missed at those workdays at Fort Wayne.

But I'll try to keep Mikie in line.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams-

Thanks so much for the kind words. As we said, it will be very hard to go but coming back here will be so much more worth it when we do.

I leave Fort Wayne and it's restoration in very capable hands with you, Mikie and all of the remaining volunteers who work so hard to restore the place to it's finest. We look forward to seeing the results on our return trips in the future.

Gistok-

I cannot begin to tell you how very thankful I am for your "gift" to me of the tickets and the seating chart as well. There is no way that I could ever repay you for those great reminders of my youth, and to say I am not totally honored to have been a recipient is an understatement. Keep up the appearances at the FSC's as your presence was an great addition to a tradition that has begun to grow. As for the Lego city scape and the collection of those bricks, boys will always be boys and I could think of a myriad of stuff much, much worse to blow all of your money on!

It was cool to make the acquaintance of Royce as well!

Sharmal even did a "drive-by light rail" visit!

Lastly, as always, a pleasure to see Kathleen and Dave, who are always enjoyable company.

Man, I really hope Phoenix has a "PhoenixYes" website. Time to practise my Spanish!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.