Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Your favorite Christmas gift « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Big Man is coming tonight. What was your favorite Christmas gift you received as a kid?
Although my Lionel train ranks right up there, I think my Flexible Flyer sled (from T.B.Rahl's Hardware in Detroit) tops them all. That baby was sturdy, and could it glide.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Times were simpler back then, This felt like and was a big Christmas.

But my favorite was a few years later when I asked for and received, a Daisy Double Barrel BB gun.

All the other toys have been long gone, But I love and respect that Daisy Double Barrel more then any other "Real" gun I've ever had!

Merry Christmas Everyone !

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2668
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K64

Do I look happy with my two new dollies? This photo was taken on Christmas 1964; I was 7 years old.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite gift was a doll too. I had seen this doll at Hudson's--it was a Madame Alexander doll, she came with casts for her arm and leg, bandages, yellow spots (little stickers) for pretend Chicken pox, and pink spots (stickers again) for measles. I absolutely DROOLED over this doll, but my parents led me to believe that I wasn't going to get it. Imagine my surprise when it was under the tree Christmas morning. I don't think anything has surpassed that feeling of absolute JOY!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember the original hand held Merlin?
Or how about the Mattel hand held Football?
Look how far we have come in electronics for kids.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Met my wife at a Christmas party in 1956. Married her two years later, and next year we'll celebrate #50. Best present I ever had.

Well, maybe except for my Lionel trains.....:-)

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23, Merlin video here

http://www.ifilm.com/video/275 8296

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock & Ray1936 both having fond memories of those Lionel trains, I had to make due with my little Marx Rock Island train set from Sears & Roebuck.

I may have wanted a bigger scale set, but when I asked Santa about what was more fun, He said "HO" HO HO

sorry, eggnog doing it's job here!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although Mom & Dad both worked at Hudson's Downtown when I was born, Most of our Christmas came from these two stores

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I may have wanted a bigger scale set, but when I asked Santa about what was more fun, He said "HO" HO HO"

That's bad, ragtop, but there's something to be said for the old saying, "Why go to three rails when two will do?"

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's so quiet on the West side, how come every New Years eve at midnight, I hear gunshots coming from Sussex and Northlawn streets, Mr. jjaba?

Great Christmas memories. You still have those wonderful dollies, Kathleen? And those Sears/ Western Auto trucks gotta be worth big bucks now, Ragtoplover.

My Flexible Flyer sled now goes for a good $100 on eBay.

But it looks like Ray36 might have the best present of all.

Keep it up,folks.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock,
The trucks only command the big bucks when you also have the box's they came in and the trucks stayed in the box instead of being well used like mine are. Good used trucks like these can be found on eBay as low as $10. New they were about $2.99
But my Daisy, that's a different story

I have a 10 yr old antiques guide that listed it at $900.00 Not bad for my Dads $40 investment.

The gun has brought me much joy, Before I got it ,My dad was very stern about How & Where I would use it. Much to his dismay, It was Himself and my Uncle who took out the first (and only) basement window while using it in my indoor shooting range! ah the good old days !

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christmas 1966--the day after this picture was shot I got my G.I. Joe frogman (scuba diver). I'm on the left with the "55" on my shirt, would have been prophetic if it read "56", my Brother Dave, Sister Jenny and big bro. Bobby mugging for the camera

Smile--no, not like that!

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have the doll....but no box. It's not going anywhere (at least not soon), so I guess it's OK.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4132
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are these ice tongs?

Old Toys

That's quite a treasure.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good eye Jimaz, Those tongs been in the family my whole life, I got them from my dad years ago. I also have a nice little Ice Pick, Embossed "Detroit City Service Co" on one side and "Ice-Coal-Coke" on the other. Coke not being the Drink.
Other side of the Mail box is a nice set of Sleigh Bells from my Great Great Grandfather, Nicest sounding ring you ever heard ! In fact, When my kids were small and on this night, I would use these to wake them up. I'd jingle them around 3 or 4 am and then jump back into bed as if I never heard them. Keeping the Dream alive.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3345
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen - is that a Skipper and a Chatty Cathy?

Did you ever have those Barbies with the four different wigs?

Nice picture and memories I am sure!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Carolcb!

The small doll is Penny Brite. I don't recall the other doll's name, but it wasn't a Chatty Kathy. I'll have to check with my sister and mom and get back to you.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favorite X mas gift?

This year a co worker gave me an Arcadia Press book about the Detroit Mafia. Excellent book, well written. Lots of information and pix. I worked as a Bus Boy at a Restaurant that was rumoured to be a Mob hangout; Supposedly bankrolled by the Mafia. Looking at the pictures I recognized one of the guys that would come in for dinner. It was none other than Tony Giacolone.

Favorite gift of all?
1962 Ford Falcon promo my parents gave me when I was 12.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add me to the Lionel train list - a 1957 train with 6-8 cars, little buildings, lots of tracks and trestles to make a figure 8 with a couple of sidings. My dad and I later attached it all to a 4x8 sheet of plywood on which I had painted roads, track beds, crossings, etc. I kept it until 8 years ago, when I sold the whole deal before moving to NM.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an Art Linkletter surrey with the fringe on top, when i was about 9 years old. Till this day, ive never seen another one.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a surrey in the SCS Memorial Day Parade every year, its pretty cool (except for the idiots inside it).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.