Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Gistok « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you have family down in Alabama back in the '30s? I was just checking some census records and discover one Bernard Istok living next door to my ggrandmother.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6090
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to take so long to reply Gnome...

No my family came straight from Germany, moving to the USA in late 1950's. The only other Istok family in the USA that I have is a distant 3rd cousin that lives in Milwaukee.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no problem, I thought it was a bit of a long-shot but with geneology long-shots sometimes pay off.

A German Colony was established in north central Alabama after the Civil War. A guy by the name of John Cullman founded a little town that still bears his name.

Cullman recruited both Lutherans and Catholics, but mainly Catholics, to come over and start the town. I was down there around thanksgiving and visited the old family estate.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.