Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Ray1936 Again, This Time For A Goofy Reason « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I noticed that my previous post was #1935, and since you are one of my favorite DY citizens (with your storytelling and snarky wit,) I wanted to make a Big Production out of dedicating my next post to its "namesake."
I hope this essentially foolish post finds you & yours happy and in good health.
O.K.
Now that I've indulged myself in a moment of sentimentality, I will forthwith return to being my usual intemperate, smart-assed prick self.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am totally honored, Ravine, and intend to hard copy your note and frame it!

Yes, I'm most happy. Had a complete physical recently and doc says I'm A-1. Wife isn't too sure about the mental part, though......

Snarky. I like snarky.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a "Tommy come lately," it has been very easy for me to read the "cream' that is always at the top. So, to you, Ray1936, you young whippersnapper, the best is yet to come!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2721
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, I always listen to my elders, Tp! Only trouble is there ain't too many of them left any more! :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6129
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, 2721 quality posts and we thank you.

jjaba is in psycho-therapy full of anxiety and phobias since the Denby guys have invited him on an Eastside excursion. Perhaps Ray1936 and jjaba can join a therapy group over this. Sounds like Ray1936 needs some work too.

jjaba, Old timey Detroit newsboy.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have nightmares about being stranded on the east side. My wife's sister lives in Romeo, and on our visits there, my mind keeps saying, "My God, I'm on the east side.....". That's how bad it is.

Simple words strike terror in my heart. Words like Gratiot, Van Dyke, Mound Road, etc. It's something I have to live with.

Interestingly, I've always liked people that were from the east side. It's just their choice of abode that puzzles me.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray:
Are you trying to be my Valentine, by mentioning all of those good 'ole' charming streets?
I never eschewed the West Side. I had a few encounters 'over there,' meaning across Woodward, but I was always too occupied on my home field to wander.
I had just written a "note" (snail mail) to a person who is connected to this Forum. I believe it expresses my attitude of old time Detroit. My quote:
"It is sad that most of the Forum members did not, and never will, experience that
wonderful era when Detroit , and Detroiter's, were, for lack of a better word, ONE!"

End of Quote. The key word being, "ONE."

Ray1936

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were one. There was Detroit, and there was the whole rest of the world. There were darn few Rosevilleites, Redfordites, and Livoniaites. A visitor from Grand Rapids was treated like a foreign visitor. We were Detroiters; we were one.

The Tigers, Red Wings, and Lions all were in their races until the end. The Pistons were still lollygagging around Fort Wayne waiting for Fred Zollner to move them here, although ending up in the boondocks is still a sore spot with me.

Yup, Pt, the youth on this forum (and God bless 'em, they're great) really missed out. Pity.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.