Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Place to buy beetles n' bugs? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lylegun
Username: Lylegun

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any places in or around the city to get large beetles to keep as pets?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5465
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't make a post like this, and then not explain yourself.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honest to God. Nobody answer this question until some form of explanation is offered.
Cripes.

Lylegun
Username: Lylegun

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is there to explain? I want to get a stag, rhino, or scarab beetle to keep as a pet. I also teach high school English and we are just about to finish The Metamorphosis. I'd like to have it in the room as a visual kick-in-the-head to my class because big words tend to bore young minds.

Any info?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4718
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd try asking at a pet store.

I love Kafka. Too bad he died so young. I always thought Metamorphosis was overrated. I liked something that I think was called The Pedestrian. It depicted the main subject as completely passive. Instead of describing him moving through the world, it described the world moving in reverse around him.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's a pet store on W. 8 Mile, I think it was in Redford (but I'm not totally sure about that) that has all sorts of strange pets. They had a big variety of huge creepy spiders so they may have what you are looking for as well. I don't remember the name of the store, but I remember a big yellow sign that said something about monkeys

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd hate to think Lylegun was going to mistreat the poor beetle, like this guy:

http://q.queso.com/images/Frem ontTroll.jpg

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^I believe that store on 8 Mile closed a few years ago. I run into the former owner once in awhile - the next time I see him I'll find out if he sold it to someone who kept it going or not.

For the life of me I can't remember what the store was called.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing local, but . . .
www.bugsincyberspace.com
www.wardsci.com

Tell 'em Kafka sent ya . . .

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 520
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and son went to the Reptile Expo a few years ago and came home with a Praying Mantis egg case. It was actually pretty cool to see the little guys emerge and over the summer we would occasionally see one hanging out in the yard. They are great to have around if you have a garden, they like to eat other insects!

http://www.google.com/products ?client=safari&rls=en&q=prayin g+mantis+egg+case&ie=UTF-8&oe= UTF-8&um=1

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thought for sure this was going to be volkswagen related

half disapointed, half befuddled

(Message edited by gravitymachine on April 06, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.