Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » House Renovations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5515
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have before and after pictures of work they've done on their house? Here's how my living room progressed:

At this point I had already ripped down a wallpaper border from the top of the wall, and ripped off all the trim and moulding that had been painted over at least 6 times.

Replaced and rewired all the outlets and switches with grounded electrical from this century, new wood covers for those. Made new trim and moulding to match the old proportions. Stripped that SWEET heat register grate down to the metal and just polished it up. That's one of my favorite things (lower left photo). There's two more in this room I restored as well. Refinished the wood floors, threw out the crappy plastic blinds and bought new window treatments, plenty of plaster work on the ol' plaster walls.

This wall had thick tongue and groove wood paneling on it. Tore that down to reveal a BUSTED-UP original plaster wall. Decided there was no fixing that, so drywalled instead. (There's my E&B Brewery barrel I'm always bringing up)

Same stuff here. Some of you may remember me asking what to do about my textured ceiling. In the end, I scraped the hell out of it with the backside of a push broom, then painted over it. It's still textured, but MUCH better than before, and I didn't have to spend a zillion dollars. Those photos above my piano are historic pictures of downtown Ferndale ranging from the 20's to the 50's.

Oh yeah, and I built that cat tree for my kitty.

Next stop: Hallway.

I'd love to see what others may have done with their older homes.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4002
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks good. When I saw the title I was hoping you had photos!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5516
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

I'm hoping some of our Detroit friends have some pictures they'd like to share of their even OLDER houses.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4733
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the color of my dorm room walls in college! I kid you not!

I love the wooden floor. Good job.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5521
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, the floor came out well. Considering previous owners have driving a bunch of nails into it in a futile attempt to keep it from squeaking. That doesnt work, and then you have nails in your floor. But they were all pulled and filled before the refinishing and you don't notice them now.

But hell, you can't buy oak like that anymore. The grain in it is beautiful. It's a mix of red and white oak, so the different colors in it are very nice.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice work, John! U the piano player?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5522
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, yes Ray. Though one of my good friends really shows me up on it when he comes by.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5523
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd really like to see how Rhymeswithrawk's house is coming along....

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Know the feeling. I played for years, but the arthritis in the fingers has me pulling a Favre. When we moved two years back, I gave my Kimball spinet to my niece. Fortunately, she came with two fullbacks to move the dang thing.

Kind of miss it. It was very relaxing do diddle around. Years of enjoyment!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge...Looks very nice - Job Well Done!
Motivates me to do similar work in my home.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd really like to see how Rhymeswithrawk's house is coming along...."

Well, ran into some money issues, so things have been pretty offline for the past few months, what with the holidays and all. The kitchen was the big item. Had all 2,800 sq. feet of floors refinished (paid to have it done). New storms on all 35 or so windows. Removal of all the peeling lead paint and redid that.
Next up: Taming the backyard and painting the wooden porch. I ran out of warm enough days to get the job done last fall.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5653
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You targeted some high ticket items first, but it's good to get them out of the way. I have plenty of windows that will need to be replaced as well. Anybody who collects old counter-weights for some reason should let me know. :-)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge-

I'll take those counterweights for Fort Wayne if you don't mind! We are currently in the process of double hung 9-over-9 light sash restoration of the Old Barracks Building and many of the counterweights that were there are missing. Any donation on your part is completely tax deductibile(we are now a 501c3 organization) and you could help do your part by passing around some of the cities assets!

By the way, I've been following your house remodel for sometime on this forum. You should be proud of yourself for your fortitude and "sticktoittiveness"! Don't "replace" those windows until you come out to a workday at the Fort. As I said, we are in the midst of restoring all of those sash in the OBB, so if you want a primer in window restoration BEFORE you decide to replace just show up. I can show you some alternatives to straight out replacement using what you currently have.You may very well save enough restoring them rather than replacing them to do another project that you hadn't thought you could fit in!

Look forward to seeing you at the Fort sometime this summer!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5663
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, thanks for the advice Plymouth.

If you are in need of counterweights, I was recently at the Architectural Salvage Warehouse on Grand River, and upstairs they have a TON of them. Nobody is ever going to buy them. I would suggest contacting them, as I only have a few.

I plan to get out to the Fort this year!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 476
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My plan was to sneak over to ASW one day soon-I just need to remember not ot take too much money with me..........!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7893
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Jl,
I've a few of those counterweights in my basement that I was willing to give you, but Plymouthres and the HFWC will be the recipients of those, as I so enjoy the workdays and the knowledge I've received there.

BTW your photos have been a source of great frustration to me. I had just restarted the redo of my back bedroom, and the tiling of my back hallway and basement stairs. While I've plenty of free time, currently, only having one arm to work with severely limits me. :-(

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5665
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I don't WANT counterweights, I was offering mine up. That is terrible about your arm. I hope you get better soon. And may that cretin get a counterweight upside the head.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renovation pics of my brother's house on Grosse Ile. Built in 1836. Moved across the island. It was featured on HGTV and This Old House magazine.
http://www.coldjensens.com/?q= image/tid/3

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

before:

after:

But, this wasn't in Detroit. It's my old house in Portland.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5751
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what was going on with the front of that house before you remodeled it? You really stuck to period architecture with your re-do, NICE JOB! The world is one house nicer for your efforts. :-)

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks John. It's been over a year, but we still miss the red house.

Mozeewink
Username: Mozeewink

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill, that house is beautiful! You must be so proud...

Can you bring that house to Detroit?

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://redemptionincorktown.bl ogspot.com

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5756
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great blog, DH. What a unique home that is. The addition you built seems to carry on a long tradition of building onto homes in that area. And to think some people would prefer a Pulte home that looks identical to every other home in their neighborhood.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto. That is a great blog. How come I never knew about it? Seeing a Detroit house under restoration is always so great to see.

BTW, DH, still love the Escape Hybrid.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.