Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Jjaba » Archive through February 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 429
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a bukkor?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 967
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.abirambangla.com/jo ke

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6051
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good try, Bulletmagnet, but no cigar.

You might wish to Google, "Yeshiva buchor."

jjaba spells it "bukkor". Yiddish spellings are always transliterated from Hebrew letters. That's why you see Chanukkah spelled several ways.

jjaba calls himself "bukkor" to mean a "student".
The reference is a young kid on Dexter Blvd. learning for his Bar Mitzvah at age 13. The image of an an American Jewish boy trying to learn the mysteries of the Torah scrolls in hardscabble Detroit.

Jrvass, thanks for asking.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5483
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Jjaba the literal translation is actually Bar Mitzvah Student then....

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

jjaba calls himself a "bukkor" to mean a "student".

And RealityCheck says mazel und brucha to Jjaba the bukkor.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6053
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin, yes. But, the image is of an innocent poor kid with a white shirt and dark trousers, black shoes, and a fedora, shirt sleeves rolled up.

When he's not in Cheder (Hebrew School), he's schlepping to cello lessons at Mr. Finkelstein's upstairs 5-room flat, cello in a black leather case.

jjaba, Bar Mitzvah bukkor, digging in the Grunt's pickle barrel.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sense an opportunity, here, for some of us to learn what some of these terms mean from a guy who is good at breaking things down simply and without spinning a web of unnecessary words. (Which is to say that Jjaba is the Anti-Ravine, I suppose.)
So, regarding "Bar Mitzvah" and "learn(ing) the mysteries of the Torah scrolls:" A) What does "Bar Mitzvah" mean, literally? B) Does the Bar Mitzvah coincide with some phase of that learning, and if so, what phase; pre-? post-? mid-?
I probably have some other questions, but I don't want to wear out the pump-handle. We all have seen that there is a lot of good water, in that thar well, so we will continue to want that handle to be in good working order.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 432
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jjaba. I wasn't finding anything before on Google or Webster's.

Imagine my mother's surprise when I hopped on the bus in 1st grade to go to Hebrew School with my classmates (we're Episcopal). I guess I almost became a bukkor too!

Back then, we lived in Bloomfield Village. Roughly bordered by Lahser, Maple, Lone Pine, and Cranbrook roads. Justin Bradway, in donating his property (farm) to his heirs, stipulated that Jews could only live on the west side of the property. On streets called Ardmoor, Stuyvesant, etc.

On our way to church on Christmas Eve, we'd drive though those streets. The lack of holiday lights inspired my older brother to nickname it "Hannukah Heights".

Nice homes. Some had indoor pools!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6055
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass, yours was a different experience than Dexter Blvd. on the NW side but you got the idea.

Bar and Bat Mitzvahs are a coming-of-age Jewish ritual for boys and girls at age 13. Other religions have rituals at various ages. jjaba encourages you to do your own research about this.

See if you can understannd the ritual and what it means to receive a "Chai" as a gift.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 970
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, may I say that many of us at DY are humble students of your wit, and wisdom.

Bulletmagnet, hole up on the Eastside.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Mr. West-side bukkor, are you a card-carrying member of WUJS?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6057
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, jjaba never heard of the place.
jjaba.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yer right...Jjaba is a pretty witty guy...for a Westsider! lolol He's redeemed however, by being a Bronco and being remembered as the smooth baritone on WIDR...playing great music to make love to in the very early 60's. I'm indebted to Jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6060
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, ah WIDR. Great memories.
jjaba.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6248
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All these questions by the Shiksa's... is making me Verklempt... :-(

Goblue

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: Jjaba on the WIDR wavelengths...Nancy S. in the '60 Olds...thanks for the memories.

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba- i was also a bronco and worked at WIDR in the mid 90's. go wmu! (:

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On our way to church on Christmas Eve, we'd drive though those streets. The lack of holiday lights inspired my older brother to nickname it "Hannukah Heights". "

Ha ha, I love it! Believe it or not, I nicknamed the 10/Greenfield area "Hebrew Hills" due to the that pretty much every time I drive through there I see people wearing yamulkes.I don't mean it to be deragatory, it's just a recognition of the uniqueness and strong sense of communinity around there.

Even today, there aren't many houses in the west side of "the villge" that have lights up during christmas. I had no idea that there was a historical reason for that, though.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Jjaba...If I may preface a question:

Many years ago, I was a member of the 1985 USA Maccabiah Team that competed at the 1985 World Games in Tel Aviv. During a visit to Jerusalem, we were visited by a Rabbi who explained the custom of giving gifts; the practice was referred to as a "Mitzvah". Can you tell me more about this; wondering if my memory/use of the word is correct?

Also...

Nice to see that so many of you good folks are Broncos; I had no idea.

My rap sheet: Mackenzie High School (Class of '76) & Western Michigan University (Class of 1981) - many fond memories and DJ friends associated with WIDR-FM..."first red light on the left" (or something like that)...."Kite Flight" was always a good time. I never worked at WIDR, but was a booth announcer/pretty face and floor director for WKZO-TV3 (1978-84)

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HMMMM....I too was a Bronco--- 1968-72. If you were a student visiting campus at that time, I may have given you a tour! I worked for Admissions as a campus tour guide. Small world.

Goblue

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936s: REAL small world! Jjaba and I were undergrads at WMU a few years ahead of you...'59-'63...although I was back as a grad student "69-'72...and then again as a faculty member '90-'95. I started to feel like my life evolved around Kzoo.

Mrsp: Was WIDR still in the Union during your radio time? I have to confess that I didn't listen to it during my faculty years. Jjaba was smooooooth on the radio for those late night dates during the early years...it also paid to be nice to him since he moonlighted routing phone calls through the Ellsworth switchboard.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6062
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue knew not to harrass jjaba at Ellsworth Hall. If he lived on floor one, jjaba would send his calls to 4B.

Mel Chapman and jjaba worked together on WIDR in the Student Union. Mel was very popular. jjaba held his own however, spinning his stacks of wax.

A Mitzvah is a good deed. "As it is written, he shall be know for his Mitzvot (plural)."

Chuckjav, jjaba lived in the Mackenzie HS district but went to Cass Tech. his brother went to Mackenzie, then on to UM, playing in the M Marching Band. jjaba attended Noble School on Fullerton, then Tappan Intermediate on Tuller and Elmhurst. He went out to WMU because it was on the NY Central RR line.

jjaba.

Goblue

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way in hell that I would have pissed Jjaba off...phone calls and mail would have been diverted to Timbuctu...or worse...Jjaba was nobody to mess with...plus, the last thing I needed was to have Jjaba offer some sarcastic comment via WIDR whilst I was in the midst of rubbing noses with N.Swanson. In truth, Jjaba was/is a good guy and a true Bronco.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 859
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Free Press and WIDR has just announced that the " CT EASTSIDER /WMU Bronc0" disc jockey has made an offer on a home in GPP on Windmill Pointe Drive.......bye bye WESTSIDE! Photos to follow......Jjaba and family will now be riding the Jefferson Ave Bus....

Jjaba

Post Number: 6067
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds delightful.
Drop off the key, Lee.
Westside, forgetabout me.

Get on the bus, Gus
no need to discuss much.

Make a new plan, Stan.
Get out when you can.

No more Livernois, Roy.
Tour Charleviox.
And Westside, forgetabout me.

jjaba.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba...thank you for the information.
I was the only one in my family to attend Mackenzie; six bothers and sisters all graduated from Cass Tech.

I went to WMU because my brother was attending Kalamazoo College.

Goblue

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: Small world...you were a generation behind us at WMU...your brother was a few years ahead of my son at K College...he was '88.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6070
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In which curriculums were your siblings at Cass Tech., Chuckjav? Good report.

jjaba, CT CLass of '59, Printing.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I love about this site; we're all one big family - always good to hear from Goblue and Jjaba.

Two of my sisters "majored" in CT's music department; one brother & one sister chose performing arts....another brother got involved with political science & another sister focused on early childhood education.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J......do these names from your past ring a bell:

Marcella peterson Max Nadis Rich O'Rourke Norma redmond

No they are not your eastside cousins.....