Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Question for the graphic artists of DY « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello -

Does anyone know if there is a way in photoshop or another app to take either a full color image or a black and white image, and make it into 1 or 2 colors? You know, almost like a stencil.

I want to take an image of a face, and put it on a tshirt. Like a 2 color silk screen sort of thing. The graffiti stencils I have seen over the years around town like Ronald Reagan or Abraham Lincoln is what I'm looking to do. Is there an easier way to do this or do I have to hand draw it?

Just thought I'd ask - Thanks in advance.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J; there are several different ways that you can accomplish what you're looking to do in photoshop. the easiest would be to apply a filter to whatever image you are working with. i believe the "stamp" filter would get you pretty close.

if that isn't exactly what you want, then you can adjust the levels (color, brightnes/contrast, saturation/hue, etc.) of the image. the easiest route this way would be to desaturate your image, then bump the contrast way up to the desired level of density. if you want another color than black, then you can use the "replace color" feature.

it might sound a little complicated, but it is really easy.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5564
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could also pump up the contrast as Rsa described, and then try LiveTrace in Illustrator. It takes some playing around with, but it would be perfect for what you are trying to do. Especially since you'd then have a vector graphic, which you could make any size with no loss of quality. You could also edit the paths at that point to tweak it the way you want.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5565
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go, I quickly did one using the method I described. This was a regular photo, but I cut out his head, bumped the contrast and brightness in photoshop, then livetraced in illustrator. Is this what you're looking for?

J_stone

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are unbelievable!! Wow that was fast. Yes this is exactly like what I'm talking about. I'm not making a down with Kwame t-shirt though! But that is funny man.

Thanks RSA and John Lodge. I appreciate it.

Hey John - do you have an email I could reach you at?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5566
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, if you want to post yours, I'll send you an email. You can delete your post after I email you if you're concerned about leaving it up.

J_stone

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot - Lemme know when you get it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5567
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I believe I emailed you, if I cracked your code right.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5604
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL I could use some tips from you as well. Shoot me an email @ detroitstylin2000 at yahoo dot com

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5568
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sent.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5569
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was so much fun, I made another.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andre the giant for mayor

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4613
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The absolute quickest is:

Image > Adjustments > Threshold

You will be able to tweak to exact degree of black and white you need. Then go in with the pencil or eraser and touch it up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.