Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Mexican Coca-Cola « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3852
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anyplace around here that sells it in quantity? All the stores I know of only sell it by the bottle and the local distributor only sells wholesale to retailers.

BTW the same distributor handles some Towne Club.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5700
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you trying to get Coca-Cola with actual sugar in it instead of High Fructrose Corn Syrup? How un-American of you.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeybee, its been awhile but they gave me a case of 24 for 20 bucks.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3853
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so much better. Kosher Coke is the same, but the store doesn't have it in yet and it's not available year round. All the natural food store colas I checked have sugar but don't have caffeine.

HFCS colas seem to sometimes lead to cravings and I end up drinking more. HFCS probably spikes blood glucose more, too. I wouldn't be surprised if HFCS was not only cost effective for the makers, but causes higher product consumption, too.

Pepsi is testing a sugar version in England called Pepsi Raw. I wonder why they don't test it in the US.

Downriviera

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally kicked the HFCS coke habit a few years ago, I was drinking a 2 litre a day. Now I drink the Mexican coke on occasion. I treat it like a small batch bourbon, savoring every sip.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

24 for 24 at honeybee

Downriviera

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

24 for 24 at Honeybee is a decent deal since most of the stores sell it for $1.50 a bottle.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mild correction: all Coca Cola is kosher. You will want to keep an eye open for *kosher for Passover* Coke, made with sucrose instead of high-fructose corn syrup (corn isn't kosher for Passover for many Jews). It's crisper than regular Coke, with no aftertaste!

It should be on the shelves soon, with Passover coming up. I stock up when I find it, although it has a shorter shelf-life.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely Honeybee; that reminds me, I have a case of empty Coke bottles to return to them!

As far as HFCS goes, there are studies out that show fructose causes you to want to eat more. Here's a blurb from an article about it:

"Several recent studies have shown that fructose is processed differently in the body than the far more common sugar, glucose (3,4). Glucose causes the pancreas to release insulin which drives sugar from the bloodstream into cells. Glucose causes fat cells to release leptin that makes you feel full so you eat less. Glucose prevents the stomach from releasing ghrelin that makes you hungry. On the other hand, fructose does not cause fat cells to release leptin and does not suppress ghrelin. This means that fructose increases hunger to make you eat more. Furthermore, the liver converts fructose far more readily to a body fat called triglyceride, than it does with glucose. High triglyceride levels raise blood levels of the bad LDL cholesterol and lower blood levels of the good HDL cholesterol, which increases heart attack risk."

Downriviera

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Honeybee charging a deposit on the glass Coke bottles now? They didn't last time I was there, but its been awhile. I recycled my empties.

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the first time I bought a case of Coke from there so I must confess that I really didn't pay attention if there was a deposit or not. There are little MI deposit stickers on all the bottles so I automatically figured there was. You know what they say about assuming things...

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just called Honey Bee for the heck of it to see about the deposit on glass Coke bottles. Currently they do not charge the deposit (thus I will be recycling this batch of bottles), however she did say this was expected to change soon as the state requires them to do so.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5274
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You asshats are a bad influence...I read this thread and stopped there after work today. They have a huge stack near the front door for $24 for 20 bottles.

Downriviera

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know things are really bad when the fuel prices are affecting Mexican Coca Cola.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just called Honey Bee for the heck of it to see about the deposit on glass Coke bottles. Currently they do not charge the deposit (thus I will be recycling this batch of bottles), however she did say this was expected to change soon as the state requires them to do so.

Why not just hang on to them for a bit and make an easy $2.40?

Downriviera

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer was bringing a truck load of bottles to Michigan.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are supposed to be charging deposit. Any carbonated beverages sold in the state are subject to container deposits. Maybe they don't want to handle the returned empties. The stores I've seen selling it by the bottle charge the deposit and have a ten cent deposit sticker on the bottle.

(Message edited by lilpup on March 20, 2008)

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey Bee was the only place I knew of that sold them and since they couldn't say when they would start up with the deposits I decided that 24 bottles sitting around my tiny house quickly becomes clutter; plus I'm all about recycling and trying to cut down on gasoline usage right now. Unfortunately someone picked through my recycling in the wee hours this morning and took the bottles. So they had to lug around all that glass only to find out they will not be able to get the deposit money anywhere around where I live...which means they'll probably just toss them in the garbage. :-(

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was such a demand for Mexican Coca Cola here that is now sold at Costco in Albuquerque.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dumb question, where/what is the
"Honey Bee"?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

store at Bagley & 16th

picked up a case Saturday aft - thanks for the tip

(Message edited by lilpup on March 23, 2008)

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-Thanks- Now I am thirsty for the stuff too!

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 434
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought some Mexican Coca-Cola at the Honeybee today. It's good stuff!

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in Mexico right now. Guess I should by a Coke!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called our local Coke distribution center to find out where I can buy Mexican Coka-Cola. They sounded like they thought I was NUTS! "Why would you want to buy Coke from Mexico....Coke Classic is the same all over" is what they told me. So what do I look for on the package to know it is Mexican?

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says "Heche in Mexico" and will be in a glass bottle.

I'm enjoying (to put it mildly) my real sugar Dr Pepper. Now if only I could actually get it locally. When my last bottles of it and my case of real sugar Cheerwine is gone I'm going to cry.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpy,

Mexico coke comes in old-style 355mL glass bottles, all printed text in spanish, with a US-required nutrition label in english stuck on. Typically a dollar each.

Downriviera

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I stated on another thread, the first rule about Mexican Coke is Don't Talk About Mexican Coke.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a company that sells "vintage soda pop". Found a few bottles at a surplus/salvage store near here and find that they are made with cane sugar, not the fructose stuff. VERY good, with more zip. We tried the Birch Beer, Cream Soda and Cola...all great. Even the diet sodas they make are good. I don't know how to post a link other than this... www.boylanbottling.com
Interesting website. Maybe some of you would be interested in looking.

Downriviera

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boylan sodas are good. You can get them at Westborn Mkt.

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never had the hecho en mexico coke but.. I recently tried some brand of orange root beer that advertised "only real sugar". I found it to be disgusting. It had that cheap sweetness previously only availible by doubling the sugar in a batch of kool-aid. I don't really see why "table sugar" is so much better. In actuality it is about as natural as cocaine.

Bbq1945
Username: Bbq1945

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Combining the topic of Coca-Cola and the Spanish language reminds me of a conversation I had with a Spanish friend. According to her, cola refers to the head, and cola the butt. Not sure whether or not she was right but funny nevertheless.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq,

Cola can refer to a tail (e.g. of an animal), or a line (as in get in line). Coca is just coca. Coco, OTOH, can be slang for someone's head.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, while culo refers to butt/ass, as in "Beso mi culo Kwame."

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reviving this thread!

Stopped in the Honeybee Market yesterday for the first time in years and years. We've been missing out all this time.

Picked up some of the cola! Oh, it was tasty just as everyone above says. Tried the guacamole - now I'm hooked! I usually make my own, but I'll be tweaking my recipe to try and duplicate theirs. I liked that there were chunks of avocado left intact, and the bite of hotness that comes to you a little after you first eat it. LOVE the corn chips! Bought some tortillas that were still warm. Must have delivered them fresh from across the street. And I found good prices on some of the spices I use. I like the fact that the bags show when they were picked. Like the Mexican oregano - picked Aug 11, 2008. Now that's cool. We will shop there from now on whenever we cross the bridge.

Lilpup

Post Number: 4948
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, their guac is killer and their salsa's good, too!

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guacamole is amazing and I don't even really like avocado! :-) Perfect little bite to it. I don't care for the salsa though - it's missing something. More heat, more cilantro. I just taste pure tomato.

I love Honeybee's produce - it is always so fresh and appealing. And they have the best eddo, my favorite root vegetable!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Tkierpiec - We picked up some peaches and they were THE Best we've had this year. Didn't try the salsa. One of my daughter-in-laws makes and jars up her own salsa and she gives that to us. So we're all set in that department. But I just love the guacamole there.

Isn't eddo sort of like a potato? Haven't had eddo that I'm aware of.

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There was such a demand for Mexican Coca Cola here that is now sold at Costco in Albuquerque."

Same here in Nevada. You can buy them at the Costco here too.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upinthewoods,

Just noticed your post #37. Orange-root beer? YUK! I don't think the sugar had anything to do with it being disgusting. Lol. That's sounds disgusting no matter how it's sweetened.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.