Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Know of a trustworthy and cheap washing machine repairman? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My washing machine continues to agitate, but won't drain the water, on the spin cyle. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those quick fixes that a repairman could totally take advantage of, and I don't want to get screwed. Any suggestions?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5720
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Likely you need a new pump. This is pretty easy to replace, I wouldn't pay a guy to come out and do it. Do you have a friend who is handy? Most problems with a washer or dryer are pretty easy to fix.

A couple of questions:

Does the machine ever pump any water out of it at all? Or has it completely stopped?

Where is your exhaust water hose? IE a utility sink, etc.

Alley

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has completely stopped (the machine sounds like it's agitating when it's supposed to be spinning/draining but no water drains...)
The exhaust water hose drains into a utility sink

(Message edited by alley on March 19, 2008)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5722
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to determine whether the spin cycle is happening or not. If you open the lid a little bit into the cycle, are the clothes out against the sides? You should be able to determine whether it was actually spinning or not by observations like this.

If your spin cycle is not happening, it may not be the water pump after all. Possibilities include the transmission (one "gear" is spin, the other is agitate, spin may not be working properly) or possibly even the timer, which instructs the machine when to go into the correct cycles.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5723
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other point to clarify... You said the machine stopped pumping the water out completely, so your problem is starting on the first discharge of water, right? Most washing machines empty the first load of water and refill with fresh water to get rid of all the soap.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We picked up a used washer and dryer from a handyman who explained people throw them out because they don't work, and usually all they need is to have their timer dials reset.

I do have a repairman from LV that I call, he is reasonable and honest. If you want I can post his info. LaBelle is the name.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley,

I called Sears to come fix my Kenmore washer, the repairman told me it was the timer, He sold me the timer and gave me instructions how to remove the old one and install the new one. Saved me the labor cost.

I did the same thing the next time it broke and it was a pump. It was easy to change after he told me how the belts came off. Saved me the labor charge again.

But the last time it was the transmission, the repair guy said it was cheaper to get a new washer.
He didn’t even charge me for the service call.
I went and got a new one.

Unless you have someone who can troubleshoot and narrow down the problem you could be replacing parts you don't need and could be spending lots more than it's worth.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

call Berkley Appliance in Royal Oak ... on 11 mile about 5 blocks east of downtown.

They have saved me thousands of dollars over the years. Well worth any drive you have to make.

Alley

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, the machine IS spinning, but is not draining. This is leading me to believe that it is indeed the pump that has gone. Maybe I can find instructions on how to replace the pump somewhere online?

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brand? approx age?
If it is the pump, and you are the slightest bit handy, you can handle this one yourself.

There are also a few parts that are "made to break". Cheaper nylon parts such as couplers & doggits connect the aggitator/trans/motor and break so that more expensive items like trans and motors don't burn up under heavy loads. These nickel/dimes parts are more likely to break and most just assume thier washers have had it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.