Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Jjaba at Grapefruit League in Florida. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6210
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reporting in, jjaba at two Tigers games, one in Lakeland, one in Disney World Sports Complex.

5 games in 69 hours. Great little stadiums, great 85 degree weather. Good bikini report at beaches, Coast to Fla. Coast in a few days.

St. Louis Cardinal fans still rule in jjaba's book. That sea of St. Louis red, even at Spring Training is amazing.

Bells Beer out of Kalamazoo available at Joker Marchant Stadium, Lakeland. Great to see real Tigers fans down there with real Michigan ushers with name badges reading Traverse City, Bay City, Alpena, Toledo. Ernie Harwell, Al Kaline,
Mike Ilich have reserved parking spaces.

jjaba also saw the FL Wright Fla. Southern College campus. This is quite a setting and set of buildings. It was a nice day, Tigers game and FL Wright in Lakeland.

jjaba on the Road.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bought the Cox Cable baseball package this year, so we'll see all the Tiger games here in Las Vegas.

Tiger baseball without Michigan weather. It just don't get better than that.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

were there kisses on the balls?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4667
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice report jjaba. Sounds nice.

Did I tell you we got 6" of snow?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6212
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba saw the bad weather report for Detroit. Fla. is 85 degrees and mostly sunny.

Chitaku, yes.
It got cold so jjaba hugged her on the strikes and she kissed him on the balls.

jjaba, baseball fan on the road.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

85 degrees? Not bad, but it was "hot" here yesterday. The Soo Locks opened on Tuesday. The Cason Calloway was the first upbound, and the Gott downbound. Think Spring, the Tiger opener is just a few days away.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6213
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock for the weather report and Soo Locks ops.

jjaba scored a lagnappe with another excellent Jewish deli. Pomperdale's in Pompano Beach, Fla.
Get the "New Yorker", half pastrami, half corned beef, a slice of swiss, and Russian dressing, with pickle. Wash it down with Dr. Brown's Cream Soda. Poppy seed or apricot Hamantaschen for dessert.

jjaba, Bar Mitzvah Bukkor, on the road again.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know spring training results shouldn't be taken seriously. But the fact that the Tigers are just at .500 (12-12) has raised a question mark in my thinking.

Tell me I worry about nothing, please.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6215
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba saw two Tigers games and the Tigers looked weak. Pitching was better than hitting. Defense was good. 12-12 is about right.

Any team wants to hype how great the Spring Training Season had been. They play hard for ticket sales for the season. Nothing sells tickets like a winner.

Mike Illich served up pizza, hot and fresh, and the atmosphere was good at the ballpark. Lakeland, Fla. is a lovely city with nicely restored downtown and lovely FL Wright designs on Fla. Southern College campus.

jjaba, reporting in.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The '84 Tigers went 11-17 in Spring Training. We'll be fine.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, that's true, Shark. Then started off the season at 35-5. I have hope again.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But then in 1996 we went 20-10 in training (and lost 106 games in the regular season)!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2912
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of which serves to remind me that spring training records really don't mean squat. Thanks for the reminders!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a team full of uncertainties and guys scrambling to try to win jobs, spring training games are somewhat more meaningful than they are for a team that is pretty much set. The latter team, like the one which is currently the object of Jjaba's withering gaze, is just working out the kinks and getting ready to roll.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6217
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark and Ravine tell it like it tis, hopefully.

jjaba, reporting in from Spring Training.

Pompewrdale's is in Fort Lauderdale's northwest side. Anything Westside is a good thing. Scratch Pompano Beach. They are on Commercial Ave.
jjaba.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba....
....could you stop by Peoria, AZ on your way home?

Jjaba

Post Number: 6219
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, with 1050 posts, you are qualified for a Centurians gift from jjaba for more than the 1000 quality posts.

Post your email address and jjaba will contact you. Who knows, he might just deliver it personally although Spring Training is over at Peoria. What else you got there beside sagebrush, cactus, and "dry" heat.

jjaba on the Westside.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. Seattle's in San Francisco tonight. The game's on TV, but thankfully it starts AFTER the WSU/UNC game.

GO COUGS!!

as if you couldn't have guessed.....

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, how were the F.L. Wright buildings holding up in Lakeland? There are quite a few poured concrete structures that cantilever over the walkways. Thought they might be in bad shape by now as they are close to 50 years old. Thanks.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[Sorry to highjack your thread Jjaba, but...]

Ah yes, an Opening Day of a different kind. Just got back at 11:00 last night from being at the Soo Locks for Opening Day/Night. Saw the lovely steamer Callaway head up through the Poe first a wee bit after midnight Tuesday morning. Got a nice salute from her, too.

Later that morning (in snow, sleet, & freezing rain), got nice salutes from the upbound lovely steamer Charles M. Beeghly, the biggest footer Big Paul R.. Tregurtha, and footer Edgar B. Speer. Ran up to the West Pier & stood on a six or seven-foot high snow bank & watched the Beeghly bully her way through the ice.

The sounds of ice slushing & cracking against itself & slamming against a steel hull must be experienced to be believed.

First downbounder was actually footer Indiana Harbor (she should be sailing by in a few hours), followed by Edwin "Stinky" H. Gott. They were joined the next morning by another four boats: CSL Laurentien, Algosar, lovely steamer John G. Munson, & the Algoville (she has a face only a mother could love, but nice lines).

When the fabulous 140' US Coast Guard Cutter Katmai Bay lost her main engine while working downriver, the whole flotilla hove to in the lower St. Mary's River until the fabulous 140' Biscayne Bay came to the rescue. Ice Ops in Sarnia dispatched Junior (the newest USCGC Mackinaw) down to help the stuck upbounders, led by "Stubby" Stewart J. Cort, the first footer.

Yesterday afternoon on the way home, we walked out onto a jetty in the river through the snow & the sun to get photos no one else got. The best was the one with the "For Sale" sign in front of the CSL Laurentien.

The only thing I missed was the Bell's. :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 6225
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfavre, awesome language and context in a HOF post. You write like the best composer, making the words sing of Springtime on the Great Lakes.
Merci, and bon voyage.
jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheesh. Snow. Slush. Ice. Water and more water. A flotilla in the River. Ice floes in the water.

And you guys still won't send us desert dwellers any water.

Nuts. Keep your lousy water. I'll drink beer.

Lilacgirl
Username: Lilacgirl

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray can I come over and watch the games with you? I work for an airline so I don't have that kind of cash floating around to get the baseball channels.

My room mate and I were planning to fly down to Lakeland and see one of the spring training games...then she got engaged so it didn't happen. I was pretty disapointed...oh well I guess a wedding is better than baseball.

The_rock

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfavre- great post. You are dedicated! Wish I had been there with you. Get your photos posted on boatnerd. I was at the Soo when the Poe Lock was dedicated back in 1968 and the Phillip Clark was the first boat through.
Your weather at midnight at The Soo might be about what it will be Monday afternoon when the Tigers open against the Royals.

Lilacgirl will be wearing her Central Michigan sweatshirt at Ray's house in 90 degree weather, jjaba will be watching the Giants on his 10 inch black and white Muntz TV, Kwame will be with his lawyers, preparing a defense and occasionally glancing at his high definition, giant plasma tv screen, and I should be in a warm box overlooking home plate, still rooting for Inge. I bring my own Bell's Amber Ale and/or Oberon.
So think Spring and go Tigers as we go out this morning and shovel 3-4 inches of snow from the driveway.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6228
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, jjaba's Mad Man Muntz circular Olympic tv works just fine. Watch for my next "Where's jjaba" trivia contest. jjaba has retained you again to settle disputes, normal and cutomary fees.
Although on the inside, Rock is eligible to win contest under jjaba's rules.

jjaba, they got colored tvs now?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, the screen aspect ratio is also now 16/9 rather that 4/3. Muntz doesn't make them, though.

Lilacgirl
Username: Lilacgirl

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, I won't need to wear my sweatshirt...I do have a few CMU t-shirts I can wear. It is way too hot in my apartment right now...and its going on 9:30 at night. I don't even want to think about what the temp will be like in a few months from now.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6231
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We saw Dave Dombrowski eating some BBQ at Joker Marchant Stadium.

Joker Marchant was a beloved Director of the Lakeland Parks and Rec. Dept. and led the campaign to turn the old air field into the stadium.

jjaba, on the road in Fla. enjoying a Bell's Ale.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming back late to the party.

Thanks for your very kind words, Jjaba & The_rock. It really means something coming from the Maestros of DetroitYes posts. I only wish I were capable of your brevity!

Ray1936, we need all that water for home-brewing beer.

The_rock, some would say dedicated, others would say crazy. I prefer devoted – it sounds more reverent.

See the link below for some shots of the Soo Opening (not mine – others’ shots told the tale).
http://pics.boatnerd.com/main. php?g2_itemId=598304

I think I'll have a Bell's tonight in your honor, Jjaba. Have fun on Opening Day, The_rock.

The_rock

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the photos of the Locks, Awfav. Looks c-o-l-d there!
Jjaba down in Florida getting a sunburn on his old hide in 85 degree weather while you are up in the Soo freezing your posterior watching the boats lock through. Talk about Alpha to Omega.

I will walk over to the lake this afternoon and see if I can pick up the Ryerson downbound. Going to hit mid-40's today and the sun is out.

Gotta admit I prefer watching the boats lock through Lock 7 at the Inn at the Welland on a nice August afternoon over just about anything, anywhere. Can sometimes also get the Tiger games on radio with my trusty Zenith. Best of both worlds.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shots, Awfavre....good arguments against the global warming blather.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6236
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK shipping tycoons, explain upbound-downbound.
Since jjaba's Westside is devoid of any shipping lanes, except the rail yards off the auto plants, please explain your boating terms.

jjaba, Westsider.

The_rock

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen, old sock---When you are behind the wheel of your beloved Dexter bus and are traveling from W. Grand Blvd. toward Davison, you are going upbound.
Now if you are at Davison and are traveling toward W.Grand Blvd. you are downbound.
If you die and go the heaven, you are upbound. If you were a bad boy, you are downbound.

Commercial Shipping lanes are divided into upbound and downbound lanes. Detroit to the Soo, you are in the upbound lanes, Mackinac to Detroit you are in the downbound lanes. Stay in your lanes. It gets a little tight out by the St. Clair light. Shipping lanes, just like expressways, have "medians" They were not very well defined 75 years ago.

Now the nautical term "relative bearing" was really drilled into me when I had the lawsuit involving the Yugoslavian freighter(Jablonica) that ran down the native American gill-net fishermen out in Lake Michigan,colliding with their fishing tug and sending them and their tug to the bottom, all on a clear sunny morning. That's another story. But that's another concept.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6241
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock. jjaba guesses that when you are at The Soo Locks, you are either facing or not facing Detroit. That's where this matter started.

The Detroit River runs East and West, and Downriver in Detroit means towards Toledo.
That's about all jjaba knows, and that's only because he read it in the Detroit Times when a murder occured in Wyandotte.

jjaba thinks drivers refer to headways on buses as inbound and outbound, using downtown Detroit as the axis. Thus, jjaba isn't sure if the same terms apply on the Dexter line.

On the Crosstown line, you best use Eastbound and Westbound since "inbound" wouldn't help much.

jjaba, rush hour on the Dexter Bus heading North at Davison.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.