Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » SXSW 2008 Detroit Bands » Archive through February 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any comments, good or bad on any of the following Detroit bands which will be at SXSW 2008 (www.sxsw.com)?

(Yes, I know everyone has heard of the Hard Lessons and Von Bondies)

Child Bite (Detroit MI)
Deadstring Brothers (Detroit MI)
Guilty Simpson (Detroit MI)
The Hard Lessons (Detroit MI)
The High Strung (Detroit MI)
Juiceboxxx (Detroit MI)
Karriem Riggins (Detroit MI)
Saturday Looks Good to Me (Detroit MI)
The Singles (Detroit MI)
Terrible Twos (Detroit MI)
The Von Bondies (Detroit MI)

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Detroit,

Thanks for the list of Detroit bands that will be here at SXSW. Are you coming to Austin that week? If so, let me know and I'll meet you somewhere to see music and have some drinks. Anyone else coming down for the music fest, let me know. If I have time, I'll show you around our great city.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

saturday looks good is now a brooklyn band

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and via Ypsilanti, not Detroit.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 520
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what no Dirtbombs or paybacks ..bummer

East_detroit

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just goes to show you that the rest of the world doesn't care about suburbs, inner ring, outer ring, ring around the collar, exburbs, inburbs or any burbs. We are all from Detroit to them, even if from Ypsi. (which I think is great)

John, yeah, I'll be there. 13th thru the 15th...

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Lakes Myth Society, out of Ann Arbor will be there, as well. I love this group’s complexity & harmonies. Being a Boatnerd who works in Detroit, I also love the stories they tell. I’ve been to a couple of their shows here in Detroit, & I loved every moment.

The only other group I’ve heard live is the Hard Lessons. I did not enjoy their overwhelming simplicity & left the concert after the first couple songs.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I see them now...

Great Lakes Myth Society (Ann Arbor MI)

What kind of music?

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They describe themselves as Northern Rock, but I think of their music as twisted, edgy, rock-folkish stuff based in the mythology & lore of the entire State of Michigan (& the Midwest in the new album), with the odd pop-esque tune thrown in here & there.

They played at St. Andrews Hall the day after Christmas this year, & the live violinist added amazing depth to their live show (they have a plethora of instruments on the studio stuff). Truly amazing stuff.

Their MySpace page has a couple downloads from the new album (released last year), but the self-titled debut album is more edgy, with more folkish stories done in various ways. I like both albums for different reasons & never leave home without either one.
http://www.myspace.com/greatla kesmythsociety

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Child bite is hilarious,saw them live at the Lager House a while back. Not necessarily *good* but definitely *fun*.

actually, I'm amazed that they're playing South by Southwest.

-spiff

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3867
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Lakes Myth Society is great. Excellent SXSW choice.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, thanks, I'll add them to the list...

Here's some other possibilities:
Chris Bathgate (Ann Arbor MI)
Frontier Ruckus (Ann Arbor MI)
Half Japanese (Austin MI) - that cant be right?
The Meatmen (Lansing MI)
Tally Hall (Ann Arbor MI)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austinjohn,

Do you know Leeann Atherton? Have you seen her play?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check these folks out if you get the chance. Another excellent folk/indie band out of A2
http://www.myspace.com/canada

Austinjohn

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks,

I have heard of Leeann Atherton, but do not know her or seen her play. Have seen ads in the club listings for her shows, but never made it to one yet. If I see that she is playing a decent venue, I'll try to catch her act. Are you coming for SXSW?

Austinjohn

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Detroit,

Send me e-mail at amisean_at_austin_dot_rr_dot_c om before you come to Austin if you are interested in meeting me and seeing some music.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austinjohn,

www.fullmoonbarndance.com is one of her sites that has show listings.

Leeann does barn dances at her house on S. 2nd near Ben White about once a month. Great music, people, a real South Austin happening. Usually around $10 suggested donation and pot-luck. She plays also with a Russian musician named Zee (Zeegrass, Zeerock, Flying Balaliaka (sp)Brothers) He was in the Red Elvis's a few years ago. Very talented man.

7-9pm Fridays at Maria's Tacos, and places like Ruta Maya, Saxon Pub, Continental Club, etc. Check out the website for the barn dances or leeannatherton.com.

I won't make it down there this year. Last time I was in Austin was in winter '05. Love it there, lived there from 1992-1999. Stage Managed SXSW a couple times and am so glad I had that experience. Go see Leeann play. There is something about her stage presence that seems to make people fall in love with her.

Tell her Kathleen told you about her.

Austinjohn

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks,

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try to see Leeann perform sometime. If enough people from the D come to Austin for SXSW, I'd like to organize a gathering at one of the venues when one of the Detroit bands play so we can all meet one another. That would be fun.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austinjohn,

All the venues are always so full and a madhouse, aren't they? They used to be. Maybe it would be good for you to meet up at one of the non-performance venues down there. Do they have bands playing at the (what is it?) Shulz Beer Garden? That's a fun, big place.

I wish I could be there. The Detroiters that do go will have one of the best times of their lives, guaranteed! K

ps: Maria's has awesome food! She moved from the small location on South Lamar to a bigger place I think it's a bit farther south on Lamar now.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 996
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karriem Riggins is an excellent jazz drummer. I'm really curious to hear the band he's bringing.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Meatmen are also playing SXSW. I'll be there with them.

The Paybacks are on indefinite hiatus.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5179
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Meatmen are still around?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Meatmen are still around?

Some kind of reunion thing. They haven't been around non-stop since the 80s.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5188
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah.. That book is probably best left closed.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 739
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday Looks Good To Me was originally from Ypsi/Ann Arbor, moved to Detroit, then moved to New York, moved back to Ann Arbor, moved to Portland, and now resides in Brooklyn...

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are playing check out the great Austin Band Stella Rose I caught them last summer at the Painted Lady in Hamtramck. Awesome Band!

East_detroit

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody, are you in the Meatmen?

Says former members of the Paybacks and Sirens.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm their booking agent/tour manager. Dave Malosh is the Meatmen's guitar player, he is in the Paybacks and the Sirens (and Wolfbait).

The new Meatmen line up is made up of very good musicians, these guys aren't even punk musicians, really, more hard rock. The first show in over ten years is March 1 in at Mac's in Lansing. Check them out at Small's on March 22. Tickets are on sale now! :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5265
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Meatmen without Tesco Vee, isn't that a bit like Black Sabbath without Ozzy?

Ok, sorry, I'm done giving a hard time. :-)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there a Meatmen reunion show last summer at St. Andrews with Tesco Vee?