Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » NYC Gathering for the Playoffs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the sports thread. I know there are several people on this forum who live in New York. Anybody up for finding a place for any of the Wings or Pistons playoff games? Hopefully we'll have plenty of opportunities over the next two months.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12314
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got a friend in town today who lives up in the Bronx. I'll talk with him and see if he's interested...he's a Wings fan still, far as I know.

I'll never forget the time he lived in Chicago, we went to a White Sox game and saw then-Blackhawk's Jeremy Roenik on the jumbotron waving, and noticed him only a few rows in front of us.

My buddy, wearing his Wings jersey, stood up and called his attention. He turned around...saw the jersey, then quickly flipped us off, jokingly with a huge grin. We all shared a good laugh.

The White Sox fans are MUCH more tame than the Bears' ones we 'met' in Soldier Field for a Lions game later that year. Chicago was the most rabid anti-anything-NOT-local town I've ever known.

Curious how New Yorkers take to those who wear Detroit colors...

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andysrc

Is the src for the band from Ann Arbor 60's, 70's?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll let you know Gannon I'm going to see the Tigers at Yankee stadium in a few weeks

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriveria - nothing so hip. The SRC is from the name of a company I worked at several years ago when I chose my screen name. I guess it just stuck.

Chitaku - which game are you going to? I have tickets as well.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku are you going to the game on May 1?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes may 1 i am behind home plate in the nose bleeds

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing as how the Nets just blew their playoff chances last night, and the Knicks aren't playing anything even remotely resembling basketball these days, it looks like our Detroit/NYC playoff-showdown hopes lie with a chance that the Wings & Rangers could potentially meet during the NHL post-season.

The Wings are looking great so far vs Nashville, and the Rangers have had a spectacular couple of games (2-0) vs the Devils to open up their post-season (great goalie showdown between Lundquist & Brodeur, both nearly flawless).

We'll see what transpires as the NHL playoffs progress, but if it comes down to a Wings/Rangers showdown at any point, I'll give my left nut to be at the Garden.

Gannon:
Curious how New Yorkers take to those who wear Detroit colors...
Quite well, actually. I've been to a number of Wings away-games vs the Rangers @ MSG & the Islanders @ Nassau, and I've been surprised at how many Wings jerseys I saw (especially at Nassau), and how well New York fans behaved in general.

Much different experience in Philadelphia though...

PHILLY WARNING:
Be careful about attending Wings/Flyers games in Philly. While I spotted a few Wings jerseys there the last time they played in Philly (a few years back), we had an awful experience overall (even though the Wings won).

This guy sitting in front of us kept yelling "Yeah, go back to the ghetto!" every time the Flyers upped the Wings. After about the 10th time he said it (after ignoring my "chill-out, dude" stance), one of my friends told him where to shove it, and he stood-up and saw the "wall of Wings" behind him: me & 5 of my friends, all wearing Wings jerseys. He then started yelling up into our section for "back-up", at which point we were peppered with empty plastic beer bottles, and whatever else they could throw at us...
Philly sports fans = classless assholes!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This came up last year or the year before as well. Where's the best bar in NYC to watch a Red Wing or Piston playoff game? The Country Club on Park Ave was great, but that closed. Unfortunately, still haven't found a replacement.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12399
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, Crash.

Wowser.

My Lions/Bears encounter was slightly different.

Sat in a corner section, some complete drunken buffoon was in front of us, harassing us because I dared buy a Lions cap before the game...and my friend wore some Detroit jersey. (probably that same damn Wings one from the Sox game above)

He hollered and hollered, and we were the same as you...chill, chill...until an usher came by to remove the guy because he was in the wrong section.

At that point, the entire area stood to give him an ovation for his idiocy...and only then did I realize that way more than half of them were on our side, wearing blue and silver. Not a one would increase the bad energy this guy was dumping, but if something happened we'd have solidified.

It was the most unique sense of solidarity I've ever felt, and more than anything...in retrospect...defines the Spirit of this wonderful town.

I didn't expect NYC fans to be so blunt, they are largely less provincial in my experience, perhaps because people come to there from all over?

Plus, everybody hates the Yankees, right?!

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got seats on the third base line in the upper deck on May 1. Maybe we'll bump into each other.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

natural place for detroit ex-pats in nyc? the motor city bar on ludlow on the lower east side. too bad they don't have TVs. . .but they do have every hipster cliche out of an american apparel ad you could dream of (self-depricating sarcasm).

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be over at Stan's 5/1, the bar across the street from Yankee Stadium, watching the game there with a NYC native. I'll be the guy wearing a light blue/brown straw hat with a short-brim. Best.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.