Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Good CV joint / axle rebuilder? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my cars has a bad outer CV joint on one front axle. Good rebuild axles for this particular car are hard to find, and I'm staying away from parts-store remans because they don't last very long. Can anyone suggest a good place here (east side would be easier, but whatever) that rebuilds CV joints with new and durable (in this case, this usually means not made in China) cages, races and balls?

(Message edited by otter on April 14, 2008)

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of car is it?

If it is a GM, go to GM parts direct and order a new CV joint/ halfshaft assembly.

Otherwise go to a dealer and have them order the parts and rebuild it yourself. It is not too difficult of a project.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 865
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have very little car experience and replaced a CV joint with a friend of mine. If I can do it so cany you! Give it a shot

Otter

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done much heavier jobs than CV joint replacements, but I'm interested in minimal downtime for the car (since my other one is getting new rod bearings, etc.) and, well, it's just messy. But it is cheaper, which may win out in the end, as it usually does.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a place on Shaefer between Ford and Warren, that rebuilds axles, cv joints , u-joints, Others have had real good luck with them.Can't remember the name of the place?? Maybe Dearborn Axle?

Otter

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jgarvile. Procrastination means I still haven't fixed it (click, click, click!) but I will check them out.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn axle is the place to go, they moved though. They are on west warren just west of evergreen in DETROIT. They are cheaper and better than any of the others.

Clarie
Username: Clarie

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is rack & pinion a part of this?

About how much to replace this on a 2000 grand prix?

Otter

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of what?

An axle-rebuilding place is not going to be able to replace a rack & pinion unless they happen to also havea shop. R&P replacement is usually a fairly expensive task.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.