Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » HDTV Switchover « Previous Next »
Archive through May 25, 2008Bigb2330 05-25-08  10:10 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 771
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought two Zenith units at Circuit City. I tried them at home in Macomb County with a rooftop antenna. They work great. I also tried them at my parents house in St. Clair county just to see how they worked. They had old-fashion rabbit ears. It still worked fine, but had to move the rabbit ears for each channel. Not so with the roof top. Bigb23: did you try aiming your antenna device? The digital signal is very directional. I've had some friends buy the boxes and they were amazed at the reception. I now have my two boxes in my house in northern Michigan. I now get every network station available, including 3 PBS stations. Previously, I only got one channel and it was crappy. The only difference is the convertor box, same antenna, TV, etc.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that there was a cut-off year for analog and digital TVs. I thought I heard that if your TV was made before 1997 that you need the converter box, and for ANY TV made after 1997 the converter box isn't needed. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12977
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,

It is NOT about when the TV was made...just look at the connections on the back.

If there is only a screw-connect for the antenna, a single yellow RCA-type for composite video, or a round S-video type with four pins...you will need a convertor box. For a few years, Toshiba introduced their Green, Red, and Blue ColorStream triple connection when they introduced DVD sources...their early versions will need the convertors, too.

ONLY sets that are 'high-definition compatible' will require a better and more expensive tuner, while most of the sets made within the last five years have these tuners built in...they will be labeled true High Definition televisions, even IF their displays are not full resolution. (don't worry about that unless you are actually purchasing a new television, the highest resolution does NOT guarantee the best image at any particular price range)

I know this is confusing...but basically if your set doesn't say HD or High Definition on it anywhere, you'll need the cheap boxes. SOME of the HD sets will need a more expensive HD tuner.

This is ONLY for over-the-air broadcasting, also.

You will need a new box for cable ONLY if you are upgrading to HD service, and it seems most are hitting up another $7 to $12 per month for it. The satellite providers have their HD boxes, too, so if you use satellite for your content you will have to upgrade when you get the new television. But for either, you should be fine with the current boxes for the same quality of service you have now...you will only need to change IF you get a new TV.

My friend's mother and I went shopping for a decent inexpensive 32-inch set, when we got home I was happy to see it accepted all of her cable systems channels...but when she saw that she lost the guide and information banner features we had to call WOW and get her a new cable box.

They increased her monthly fee by $7 for this privilege, which doesn't sound like much to anyone NOT on a fixed income. To her is was another financial burden she shouldn't have to pay, if everyone has to go to HD.

Back when the Cable providers were dragging their feet on the HD rollout...they had the most to lose upgrading their infrastructure to contain these 'fatter' channels...I thought one of the things they had to provide was this guide and info data for built-in tuners.

If that is the case, we have grounds for a mother of all class-action suits. I'd like to investigate further...have to make some time for it.

I'm going to start giving seminars around the metro area to help reduce this whole HD-transition confusion, if anyone wants to get in on my test classes here in the loft...practicing my content simplicity, delivery, and hand-out follow-up...I'd be open to arrange them at a HUGE discount over what I'll be charging. They might even be free.

Cheers and more on a sunny Memorial Day...cleaning up around here still.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I screwed up, and didn't set the TV to cable instead of over the air. Bad instructions and you can't use common sense.
Other than that, I lost four channels and gained four channels. Thank you, PBS, for adult programming during the day on the side channels.
Screw you, Maury Povich for the same old "who the baby daddy?" crap. And why Jerry Springer? What a waste of airtime. Why can't they have more informative programming?
Anyway, an interesting concept for my $10.

Poor man's cable.
Comcast free for one year!

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, there was a cutoff for analog TVs. It was sometime last year. All TVs sold after that must have a digital tuner.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, many retailers have continued selling analog TVs since the cutoff date.

http://tinyurl.com/4tkmk9

Gannon

Post Number: 12980
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cutoff date would've been at wholesale.

They wouldn't legislate a date for them to clear from retailer warehouses, it would leave them with a loss.

Although, I don't think ANY of this was legislated...they are all rulings of the FCC through their ATSC workgroup. All I ever heard Congress voting on was putting the money from the analog frequency sell-off (after the cutoff) into the budget. They voted on delaying the analog cutoff, maybe more than once.

I'd like to be wrong on this one, but other than establishing the power with the Federal Communication Committee Congress hasn't had to stick their necks out on this one.

Gannon

Post Number: 12981
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, finally got that site to load...they were trying to get Best Buy and others at retail...interesting.

Shows how out-of-touch the FCC is, and the depth of the issue whether they have the power to fine when someone is outside their rules.

Bully Best Buy. They are right on this one.

Wash_man

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently read (can't find it right now) an article about the switch to Digital and HD. It was delayed several times. John McCain pressed for the switch. Ironically, a study has shown that HD makes him look his true age and could cost him votes!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Very Informative, have yet to hook our boxes up.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents just hooked up their box and wish they hadn't waited so long.

Apparently there is a significant signal improvement and they're enjoying the sub-channels, too.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just purchased 2 converter boxes using our coupons at Best Buy. Box shelf price was $59.95 before our $40 coupon. No problem using the coupon.

Bigb23

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice unit to play with. But where are the informative channels? The live weather is nice though. But not on four and seven.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Informative channels? What are you talking about?

Bigb23

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a load of crap. I live in a fringe area, 32 miles North of Hart Plaza, where the signal is about non-existent, and all I have seen is an American taxpayer funded give-away to a special few Companies from Canada and Japan for products made in China. With foresight, couldn't we have set up manufacturing plants in this country for the production of the units that were needed by our citizens for the big bandwidth give away?

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, These boxes are cool!, Getting rid of the dish soon, and saving $$$$ a month from now on.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please help me figure out what I should do. I am a full-time grad student. Have NEVER paid for cable (nope, not stealing it! I don't have it!). Didn't want a cable bill. I did get the converter box coupons but felt uneasy about buying them. The coupons expired May 31. Since I didn't use them, can I request another set of coupons?

So I have been thinking about getting some kind of basic cable (maybe ATT U-verse so I can get a cable/internet combo) but then that would generate a bill. Or to buy an HD compatible TV (no larger than a 27-inch for now....

What should I do?

Shark

Post Number: 435
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy a HD. Save up until the holidays if you need to. If you ever watch tv, you'll be glad you did.

Gannon

Post Number: 13092
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxyscholar,

I am not a huge fan of MOST television programming and the marketing mania forcefed those who choose to watch, and will never pay to have content delivered to my eyeballs that is also paid for by advertising.

It should be one or the other, as far as I'm concerned. I'd gladly pay for content delivery if I never had to see another advertisment, or since I HAVE to see the products of Madison Avenue I will not pay the delivery mechanism.

That said, if you take advantage of the coupon now, you will have a box that will allow you to view the over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts on your current set for the least possible cash outlay.

It will have value for someone else in the future, so you can gift it or garage sale it when you no longer need it. They have no moving parts, so should last longer than a few years.

If you've not seen the image improvement with HDTV, then you will not appreciate the new televisions and their higher cost. Once you witness HD in its splendor, with programming you care about, you might find that investment in new hardware easier to stomach.

It is a much more enjoyable experience, unless you are NOT into truth and honesty in your fantasy distraction. Some tv personalities and celebrities have had to retire rather than have their facial flaws and aging blatantly revealed by this new higher-resolution moving picture box.

Cheers

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am not a huge fan of MOST television programming and the marketing mania forcefed those who choose to watch, and will never pay to have content delivered to my eyeballs that is also paid for by advertising

Your paying for internet service and this site is supported by advertising.

Gannon

Post Number: 13097
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay to access it, and the advertising does NOT get in the way of my use of it.

I do not have to pause for two minutes out of every ten to continue.

Your analogy does not hold.

Rax

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do not have to pause for two minutes out of every ten to continue.

There is this cool new thing called a DVR. You should look into it.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's advertising on this site? If there is, that's easy to get around. I have my bookmark set to go here,

http://www.detroityes.com/00-i ndex-forum.htm

So I never see the front page, etc. :-)

I just bought a Magnavox MG9 converter from the evil Walmart. I used my $40 coupon and got it for $9.87 + tax. I'll post a review here after I hook it up and use it for a few days. I have another voucher, but figured I'd just get one to see if I liked it before getting another of the same brand.

(Message edited by wally on June 18, 2008)

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK... per you all's suggestions, I am going to look into the converter box. I found my coupons (they expired on May 31). I checked the website and apparently they aren't distributing them anymore?

What should my next steps be at this point?

Rax

Post Number: 473
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get cable.

Wally

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cable shmable, only suckers pay for TV :-)

Foxy, here's all the information you need to know: https://www.dtv2009.gov/FAQ.as px

It says "the last day to apply for coupons is March 31, 2009, or until supplies are exhausted."

Unfortunately, a household cannot get any more coupons after it's been issued two of them, according to "Using a Coupon - FAQ #17"

However, according to "Using a Coupon - FAQ #9", a family member (in a diff't household) can give you one of theirs.

You can always just pay full price for a box as well.

(Message edited by wally on June 19, 2008)

Wally

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my initial impression of the Magnavox MG9 converter I bought from the devil at Walmart....

Cons:

I do not like that there are no volume controls on the remote, you have to use your TV's remote for that with this box.

The remote buttons are a bit tiny as well.

There are also no buttons on the unit itself, in case you lose your remote.

I'll probably get a different unit with my other coupon, and use this one on my basement TV.

Pros:

Was only $9.87 w/coupon (+tax)

Easy to install. I had it up and running in 10 minutes.

GREAT picture and sound. I had no problems receiving all of the local channels except for channel 50, which all I had to do was reposition my rabbit ears and voila. (You either get a great picture, or no picture, no in-between)

Impression of digital TV in general:

I love the extra channels.

NBC Universal Sports, Channel 20.2, is currently showing the Summer Olympic trials.

The Retro Television Network (http://www.rtnville.com/), Channel 7.2 I think, plays old TV shows from the 60's, 70's & 80's.

Channel 4 and 7 each have sub channels airing 24 hour weather. Pretty cool.

Having the extra PBS channels that show alternate programming is awesome.

I've read that some of these free extra channels are channels that people receive via subscription cable tv.

(Message edited by wally on June 19, 2008)

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, There is no doubt that these things are Way Cool.

Rax

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I love the extra channels.

You'd definitely love cable then.

Wash_man

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll probably get a different unit with my other coupon, and use this one on my basement TV."

I bought a Zenith DTT900 for about $60($20 after coupon) at Circuit City. It has volume control. Read many reviews before making the purchase and most were very good.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Wally.... I just read FAQ #17. I initially requested two coupons so I guess I'm done going that route. (The two I have are the expired ones). Everybody else I know has cable so I can ask any of them to order some coupons for me....

(Message edited by Foxyscholar on June 19, 2008)

Wally

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax, We're not talking about cable TV here. Go fellate cable TV and how much you love paying the excessively large cable bill on another thread.

I'll requote my original statement so you know what I'm talking about:

"I love the extra FREE channels"

Wally

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash_man, yeah, I read good stuff about the Zenith too. The only thing negative I've heard is that some people have experienced some issues with the sound quality (but there are people who find fault and bitch about everything, no matter how good it is). I might pick one up anyway for my 2nd box. Their remote control looks more user friendly too, and it has a few buttons on the box itself as well, unlike the less expensive Magnavox.

(Message edited by wally on June 20, 2008)

Rax

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, sorry Wally. When you make the kind of jack that I do, 100 bucks a month is nothing. You want me to "fellate" cable TV? Paging Manrooter! LMAO!

Wally

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said I wanted you to do anything. Can't you read? I'd rather you didn't fellate cable TV, or yourself for that matter (like you just did by proclaiming you're mister big bucks), but you can do whatever you want with manrooter, it's none of my business. You waste $100 a month on idiot-box programming, and then make fun of people because you think the only reason they don't have cable is because they can't afford it? I probably make more than you, but that's not the point, and I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about that, and I'm going to ignore any further posts by your arrogant ass. So flame all you want while you're rubbing one out on your cable bill. Have a nice day! :-)

Rax

Post Number: 482
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What channel are the Tigers on tonight?

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, guys....

Had a thought....

I was concerned about adding a bill if I add cable. Right now I have ATT home phone and internet (runs about $50 a month). But if I get ATT U-verse, I can let go of the home phone and get the cable/internet combo for $69. I have a cell phone. The ONLY reason I have the home phone is for the internet service.

Is the $20 worth it?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3285
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To each his own, Foxy, but I'd say "Oh, yeah!" in a heartbeat.

Shark

Post Number: 443
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A great big YES.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a couple of those converter boxes.
They work just fine.
There are also extra WTVS stations, weather
stations and a RTN station with choice stations.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.