Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Has anyone here taken the Train from Windsor to Toronto? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past two or three years? How long does it take? The VIA website says it will be a little under 4 hours, which I doubt is the actual.

Has anyone ridden in first class? What is the food like?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4405
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's fun, it's quick and the beer is great and very cold.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken it to Toronto and Montreal several times. Always a good time. 4hrs to Toronto is about right. Never went first class. Ditto on the beer.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really was abt 4 hours our last trip. Cheaper than driving. No gasoline expense and don't have to pay to park the car at the hotel. Great for people watching, too.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4121
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend used to ride it all the time. He loved it.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodness; would one travel some way other than First Class?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6288
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My soup was cold.

Otherwise it was very enjoyable.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6622
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not bad. From Windsor to Toronto, it's almost always on time, the reverse isn't always true as the train is inbound from Montreal first.

It's good in that it drops you in the heart of Toronto and if you're taking a short visit, there isn't much you can't get to by subway. Take the train, leave the car, and have a nice trip. It's really not quicker than driving, but it's far more relaxing.

Make sure you buy tickets in advance to pick up the reduced fares.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6390
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High tea and scones with clotted cream, eh?
Do we have to endure bragging stories about the Maple Leafs?
jjaba.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the train ride to TO from Windsor! We always stay at the Royal York Hotel which is accessible right from the train station, no need to take a cab or even walk outside if the weather is inclement. Never ate the food, we always brought our own. Even saw people drinking whatever they brought on board. The only drawback is the VIA parking lot in Windsor. If you plan to leave your car there, it's expensive...something like $40.

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much does it cost? Does the Tunnel bus connect to the terminal? What is it called?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4445
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.google.com
http://www.viarail.ca/trains/e n_trai_onta_towi.html
http://www.viarail.ca/train-st ations/en-station-windsor-onta rio.html

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took the train to Toronto in 1985. It's probably changed since then, but the VIA-1 (first class) service included a reserved seat, free newspaper and breakfast served at your seat. The seats were comfortable with lots of leg room, especially compared to a car or plane.

Nowadays, VIA-1 service includes Wi-Fi access (for a charge) with a tray for your laptop and a power outlet at your seat, a three-course meal, use of the Panorama Lounge at Union Station in Toronto, free juice, soft drinks and alcohol in the VIA-1 lounge car. You can also check baggage, last I looked.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the Tunnel Bus doesn't go to the train station. You'd have to transfer to the Crosstown 2. The Crosstown has a stop 1 block south of the train station at Walker and Wyandotte.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a pretty boring view but so is Hwy 401. Only bad experience I ever had was when the train hit a boat. Guy was pulling his big cabin cruiser across at a level crossing and we demolished it. We were held up about 2 hours in the middle of nowhere.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was many years ago, but I really enjoyed the via trip to Toronto. It's relaxing not to drive, you can really connect with your partner a little more. It seemed about 4 hours, but I don't recall if the soup or beer was cold or not. :-)

What I remember most is sore legs. Let me explain: We were on something like the 36th floor of the Holiday Inn (not sure if it's still there), and there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night. Everyone had to walk down the stairs! That coupled with climbing to the top of Casa Loma's tower really did us in! Good thing we did a lot of talking on the trip because romance was ruined!

It was fun then, I'm sure I would bitch and moan about it now!

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there last fall- the VIA train was great!, We caught up on reading, had a few beers and watched the world go by. We stayed at the Hotel Royal York as well, no need even for a taxi or bus from the station to hotel.

Too bad our Dollar is in the the Toilet!........

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went there 5 years ago, really enjoyed it. I got a hamilton 992b railroad watch at the terminal in Toronto for 90$ american back then...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yonge Street is right near the Toronto train station. You can catch the subway or walk through all the connector shops along the way.
You can park at the Windsor Station and make a weekend of it or take the buses from Detroit.

Pollybergen
Username: Pollybergen

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no need to go first class!
i've taken it a few times, and about five years ago, they upgraded their first class cars, so the old ones became coach! i always had four seats to myself, would turn them to face each other, and stretch my legs. either nap or enjoy the view!

Microfish7
Username: Microfish7

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up on this wonderful way to go to Toronto!

Al

Tunnelman
Username: Tunnelman

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see the train everyday from my farm house and yard. At approximately 6:30am every day, it sounds the horn for our local road crossing as I am getting ready for work. My wife takes it quite often with the grandchildren, and she just loves the trip. Last week, she took the kids to Niagara Falls which she said took about 6 hours. I took a picture from my yard as the train went by with my wife and grandchildren. I can post it if anyone is interested.

Hey 401don! What time are you traveling on the highway in the morning? We possibly are on it at the same time as I commute thru the tunnel every day.

Tunnelman
Username: Tunnelman

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a picture of the train which I took at 6:30am as my wife and grandchildren were on their way to Toronto. I took this with the zoom from my yard.
Train

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wife and I used viarail to spend a few days at Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec for our honeymoon this spring. We took the tunnel bus to Windsor (cleanest one I have ever been on), walked a few blocks and took another Windsor bus (friendly, helpful bus driver) straight to the Windsor station at the edge of town by the whiskey plant. Boy did that smell of fermenting barley. Train ride was comfortable and on-time. It drops you off in the center of downtown Toronto where it's easy to catch a subway.

Overall, its was well worth the money. We were very impressed with viarail. The trains left on time every time and were only pulled in late at their destination once. The staff was beyond polite and helpful, but that's all Canadians isn't it? If only Amtrack functioned at half the high standard viarail sets.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.