Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Honda Robot to coduct DSO in concert. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And a million dollar gift for education.

On May 13, the ASIMO Robot will conduct the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. It will perform “Impossible Dreams” to open a special concert in Detroit. With this performance, Honda hopes to attract people’s attention on the DSO’s music education programs.

DETROIT, U.S.A., April 23, 2008– ASIMO will focus attention on the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's (DSO) nationally acclaimed music programs for young people in Detroit by conducting the orchestra as it performs "Impossible Dream" to open a special concert performance with renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma at 8 p.m, Tuesday, May 13. Honda hopes ASIMO's appearance will draw attention to the DSO's music education programs, and particularly the DSO's effort to encourage and support involvement of children in Detroit.
n addition, ASIMO will demonstrate its unique capabilities for hundreds of area school children at 10:45 a.m, May 14 prior to a specially arranged master class in Orchestra Hall, where a select group of music students will receive personal music instruction from Yo-Yo Ma. In attendance will be students from the Detroit School of Arts (DSA), Detroit Renaissance and Cass Technical high schools, as well as from schools across metro Detroit and Windsor, Canada.

ASIMO, which stands for Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility, is designed to help people and will someday assist the elderly and disabled in their homes. But while Honda continues to develop and enhance ASIMO's capabilities, ASIMO is being used today to encourage and inspire young students to consider studies in math and science. The addition of music education to ASIMO's repertoire is a natural extension of these efforts.

As recently announced, Honda is providing the DSO with a gift of more than $1 million to create The Power of Dreams Music Education Fund. With the Detroit Public Schools drastically reducing or eliminating music programs due to financial constraints, many students are denied the opportunity to learn to play instruments, read music, and participate in bands or orchestras. Honda has partnered with the DSO to develop an innovative, multi-faceted program to promote and support music education as well as to promote diversity in the field of classical music. In addition to sponsorship of the YoYo Ma performance and Master's Class for students in May, over the next five years the Honda partnership with DSO will include:
· Launch of a new initiative called The Power of Dreams String Project to provide introductory music education/string training to children in metro-Detroit communities where opportunities are non-existent or unaffordable.

Article

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only wish was that ASIMO was a GM robot, and it was a million bones from GM.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does local 5 have anything to say about this?

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess thats not my only wish.

I also wish I had an army of ASIMOs so that I could rule the world with an iron fist, a robot fist that is!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6404
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't kid yourself, that's The Rock inside there. He knows all the scores at the DSO.

jjaba.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kind of like awesome-o from south park

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put a robot behind the wheel of the Dexter bus, and you would soon have a picket line at least to Boston Blvd. Guess who would be carrying the biggest sign.

No robot on the podium at the Coffee Concert this morning. That was Maestro Oundjian and Ms. Hahn's performance of the Tschikowsky Violin Concerto was dazzling.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5208
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More power to them but conducting an orchestra is probably the least impressive feat I could imagine for a robot. It's an overpriced metronome.

All for a good cause though.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6408
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, what do your robots do? We hear that the DSO Honda robot gets great gas mileage too.

jjaba loves The Rock. As the guy inside the robot, he gets to really have a front-row spot for the coffee concert. What was that you whispered to Ms. Hahn?

Since the people left Dexter Blvd. and the street was widened so much, a robot could drive the Dexter Bus. The Rock is profund. Who knew he knows the Westside?

jjaba, on the Dexter Bus crossing Hogarth.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know, I kind of think this is a little in your face for Detroit, given the economic situation around here. But, I have to say, Honda gets it.

They design and manufacture aircraft, marine products, watercraft, ATV's, robots, lawn equipment, generators, agricultural products, trains and buses, and of course, motorcycles, commercial trucks and automobiles.

The big three did really good at SUV's and medium duty trucks.
Where is our diversification other than offshore?

Oh, and that missing 'N' in the header is driving me nuts!

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's an overpriced metronome".

LOL, GOOD ONE!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.