Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Looking for extra shingles. « Previous Next »
Archive through August 19, 2008Thursdaynext30 08-19-08  12:47 am
Archive through August 23, 2008Django30 08-23-08  7:15 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some storm windows you may be able to use, give me the dimensions of the exterior, inside the frame.

This is like a Habitat for Humanity, DetroitYes style.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive got some tearing out to do before I can measure. There sure seems to be a lot of windows out there. But actually storm windows wouldnt be practical for my purpose. Thank you though.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, your honesty is compelling. It is reward to you, in and of itself. And your apparent integrity is also vivid. Hold on to that. It will guide you through the morass. Lives are like a tapestry.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on August 24, 2008)

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangjo,
I hope all will work out in your favor. You seem to me as wll as so many others to be a great guy. I am smoking a unfiltered Pall Mall ( bad to others but good to me). Best wishes.

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangjo,
I hope all will work out in your favor. You seem to me as well as so many others to be a great guy. I am smoking a unfiltered Pall Mall ( bad to others but good to me). Best wishes.

Django

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wherever particular people congregate" LOL D.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 877
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-

As we discussed, this effort was never intended to be a charitable contribution, just an opportunity to help someone out. You helped Cub out at the garden, we hooked-up some material to help you out.

Something that people should do is to help each other out. It is a concept long forgotten in this city, but there is always hope.

I like your analogy to "modern day homesteading" and the future ramifications of that effort in other's lives. This city is so broken in so many ways that it is the least we can do to help each other, as no one else is coming to help out and without these kinds of efforts, nothing would get done. Others may laugh and scoff at the effort, but it is their loss and our gain. They laugh because they are fools with no vision.

You also mentioned the garden connection and how the various community gardens will eventually tie the city back together, which I wholeheartedly believe to be true. It worked during the depression and it will work again now.

The concept of "common ground" is alive and well at Cub's garden, and, perhaps with some work, can be alive in your neighborhood as well. The least we can do is try, but if we do nothing, the neighborhood will remain the way it is today forever.

Your project is not the end, rather the beginning, so when the time comes, you will get your chance to pay it forward. One of my dreams for this place is to do this very slowly for a number of people in the city, and, as a grass roots effort, eventually teach others that by doing these acts for others we really can begin to work together and not be driven apart, something that this whole region needs to learn in order to survive.

E-mail me when you know more about the details we discussed before. I will announce the dates for the work when we know the particulars better.

Take care,
Res

Django

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Res or DJANGO, How much drip edge do you need?

Django

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost 200' That would be the circumference of the house. I believe it needs to be placed on all sides right? I havnt done a lot of roofing.

Any amount would help. I dont mind "cut and paste" as it might be called. Drip edge is drip edge, color wont matter so much, Im sure types could be woven into eachother.

Thanks Redd

Reddog289

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, i think it only needs to be on the edge by the gutters, Res can answer that i,ll measure what i got on monday. You can have whats in the rafters of the garage. i got plastic and aluminum. yet i have no drip edge on my garage cause there are no gutters on it.

Django

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that case Id only need about 90'. I thought drip went at least at the bottom of the pitched areas. Im not sure though. Res Im sure will chime in.

Are you in the City?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 878
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are both correct. Typically, drip edge goes at the eave end of a roof.

Although it is not necessary, I like to run it all around the edge as it makes for a clean edge to trim to. It is not necessary along the "rake" or sloped edge of the roof, though.

We will take whatever you got Reddog, and thanks again for contributing.

I look forward to meeting you some day soon as Cubsays you are a pretty good guy!

Res

Django

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only the West side of the shack needs gutters. Im not to worried about it looking perfect. If the drip edge were to go to waste though it mind as well be used. No big deal either way.

Res, Im not letting go of the Shoot Off idea. Im still lookin forward to seeing you and Gannon go at some target practice. Im hoping it could be at that place on Chene as Ive never been in there. Looks kind of creepy, its perfect.
Im gonna e nudge him to see what happens. I know hes out of town for the moment.

Reddog289

Post Number: 548
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, was just out in the garage, found 5 10ft pieces of plastic and 2 aluminum. have to get them outta the rafters. I,m not in the city but just past the old eloise complex. you can have what i got, still have to get over to my buddys and to my cousins to see what they got.

Reddog289

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY Res & Django, any update on the date?

Django

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not yet Redd, Just set a date for a sitdown with the seller to finish the paperwork.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you, Django! Please let me know when you are done so we can set up a date.

Django

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not familiar how an appraisal on a house works. Do ppl usually have a license to give appraisals?

Id like to have one done if anyone knows someone who can do this sort of thing. I can pay. The house I have is so small and, well, there's just not a lot to appraise to be honest. I would think it would be a pretty quick job. As I understand it appraisers usually charge upward of $250. I cant afford that, but maybe $100.

Anyone have any leads let me know. Would like to have it done by Thursday.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-

I'm afraid that $250 is the going rate, but perhaps with the state of the economy you could find it cheaper.

There are a lot of things that go into an appraisal, not the least of which is the house itself. Condition of the house, "comps" (or comparable sales in the area), current market values of the neighborhood and location are all big factors. There is typically a lot to research, and $250 just about covers the appraiser's expenses.

You would also do well to get someone that does appraisals frequently in the area. I would suggest calling a real estate company or going to www.century21.com, which has a template type home appraisal tool that you can plug your houses particulars into and it will give you a swag figure for your property.

If you want it done correctly though, call a real appraiser that does it for a living and you couldsave yourself a lot of money.

Good luck with your search.

Django

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Res.

I guess I didnt realize all that went into making an appraisal. I guess I figured some guy would come over and look at my place and say "your place is worth $750, Id give him a $100 and that would be it. LOL

Ill check in with some local real estate agents, maybe they know someone who would be willing to do it on the cheap. Like you said with the economy and all, I wouldnt doubt it could happen.

Django

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have bad news. I will be moving out of this house. I truly appreciate everyone's help in looking for supplies and their time promised or not, but I will not be needing a workday from you all. Its still been moving to see how everyone has come together to give a hand to a fellow man. Im still in awe.

Thank you.

Like I sent Res in an e mail, maybe I can put in some sweat karma equity toward something you need done. I may have a place soon that could need some homesteading community type work.

Thank you all.

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-(

Plymouthres

Post Number: 891
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-

There is no need to thank me, that's for sure. Sorry that things didn't work out the way you wanted, but take hopefully there will be something in your future that will be much better for you than this "adventure" would have.

The people that responded to your need for help will find other things to do that will help someone else out, because they are the kind of people that step up when people need a hand and "do" rather than talk.

It does go to show that there are many good people willing to help others left in this world.

As for the shingles and spare materials that I've collected, they will be going to Fort Wayne this weekend as they will be put to good use there on a roof on NCO Row that we are starting to work on and will not be wasted!

Good luck with finding a new place to stay.

Reddog289

Post Number: 567
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing the trans went on my jeep today, and my "father in law" was talking about Fort Wayne{he worked there}. Best of luck Django and Res i,ll keep looking for shingles.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 894
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Reddog! Bring the FIL to the Fort anytime you wish.I would really like to hear what he has to say about the place!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dang, I was soo looking forward to a post roofing party.

Think it would've been anything like the last one at Django's?

django Down

Django

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I bought up every last copies of that pic with the negative. DAMN.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its pretty embarrassing. The outtie belly button, that is.

Django

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah but the "package" goes both east and west, as it seems. "Who" else can do that.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep! Busted is What You SEE!

Reddog289

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY thats our old couch, thought that was in Brightmoor. Not on the east side.
Res, the FIL worked for the Army C.O.E. He might have met you allready. i,ll talk to him. What kind of shingles do you need?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that ErieDearie with the dark hair?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome...do we know one another? How else would you know I was a brunette?? :-)

Plymouthres

Post Number: 895
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog-

I don't believe that I have met him, but anything is possible as I have met a ton of people down at the Fort. We would still like to get his recollections of the place on video if possible, so ask him if he would like to participate.

We are looking for gray, black or white shingles to begin to seal up the roofs of the structures that remain at the Fort and any quantity is welcome. Also, we could use tarp paper and ice shield, too.

We have had a tremendous response lately to the request for shingles, and we have gathered over two square so far. We still have a long way to go, but we are working steadily toward gathering enough to complete at least one roof this year and perhaps more if we get enough donations!

We can pick them up or you can drop them off, whatever you prefer. Please let us know if you can help out!

Thanks!

Res

Django

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive got a few rolls of tar paper leftover from my so called landlord. There just sittin out back. If your in the area Res feel free to stop by an get them.

Reddog289

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res, I,ll see what comes up. Talkin to the "FIL" is like talkin to Bo. He MIGHT do it. I mentioned about the NCO buildings, FIL said 'no one lives there why put a roof on". OH well, maybe we all can hook up one day.

Reddog289

Post Number: 578
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Res workin on getting a truck.Need to know where i could drop off any supplies?.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 901
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can either deliver them to the Fort or get ahold of me through Cub as he has my e-mail and I can meet up with you and pick the stuff up myself. Just let me know what is convenient for you.

If you want to drop them at the Fort, I can call ahead or meet you there so you can get them put away. It would give us a chance to "meet" properly as well!

Sorry it took so long to reply. Been pretty busy....

Reddog289

Post Number: 590
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No prob Res, gotta go through the stuff. MY jeep Quit on me so i got me a cheap vintage TRUCK. Now i have to figure where and when myself. THIS weekend is iffy, but i,ll figure sumpthin out.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.