Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Bio Diesel Co-operative? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possible, feasible? My thinking is to start a local co-operative of individuals who gather the waste fry grease, collaborate to refine it and make it commercially available in limited quantities to people outside the co-operative. Thoughts?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12840
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk with Jean Wilson, Cambrian.

I can get you in touch with her if you cannot find her contact information.

She's already working on this with some folk.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an article that gives an overview of what you need to do to sell biodiesel.

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0, 1607,7-125--154869--,00.html

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested in B20 for both my car and house.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This kid in Pittsburgh has started two bio diesel co-ops. It probably worth talking to him.

http://www.popcitymedia.com/fe atures/ndoyno0430.aspx

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd contact Jacob at the WARM Training Center. He'll know for sure:

http://www.warmtraining.org/

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fuel tax has hindered a lot of efforts in this area. Technically, if you make your own biodiesel at home, even for your own use, you have to pay the tax or so I have heard. Anyone know for sure? Anyway, as soon as you start making biodiesel for others, you need to be very sure of the law or you could get into some trouble.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the info is in the State of MI link I posted.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have to do some in depth research as to what engines can actually use, or not use. I saw the Mythbuster episode on You Tube where they ran a Benz on straight filtered veggie grease with no problems. I believe if you tried this for the long term though you would be shortening the life of your engine, and therefore would need to cut the veggie grease with an assortment of additives. This assortment would change based on the age and design of your engine.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.