Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Annual Forum Picnic, Sunday, May 25 » Archive through May 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The annual DetroitYES Picnic will be held on Sunday, May 25, starting at 12 noon. We are gathering on Belle Isle as usual, but trying to keep it more informal and less expensive than in past years.

As such, we did not reserve the ShadySide picnic shelter which has been the site of our four previous picnics. After scoping out the island, especially the restroom situation, Dave and I decided that we will remain in the vicinity somewhere along Muse St or Loiter Way, not too far from the facilities. Watch for directional signs to guide you!!

Here's a link to a Belle Isle map: http://www.mapbelleisle.com/

Dave and I will provide two dining canopies, BBQ grill, 3 midsize tables plus 4 snack tables as well as paperware and plasticware, serving dishes and utensils, condiments, munchies, and coolers with ice.

Please join us and bring a dish and/or dessert to pass, your beverage of choice as well as meat or other food to grill, buns, and your lawn chairs and picnic blankets.

Hope to see you at the picnic! If you are planning to come, please post and let us know what dish or dessert you are bringing to share and how many in your party so that we don't run short of supplies. And if anyone can bring a grill or dining canopy, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are small fry welcome?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8735
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, as well as dogs and other small creatures.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will bring a canopy, a grill, and some of my bread pudding. I will be bringing my 7 year old with me also.

Gertrude

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bring a canopy, my 14 year old, 10 year old, 6 year old, a dessert and some kind pasta salad. Probably some balls/frisbees/etc.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8740
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While packing for my move, I found my volleyball net and poles, yet to find the volleyball. If enough are interested, I'll bring those.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a wedding in Rochester Hills, but plan on coming after with my 3 little ones. How long do you guys go for usually?

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to bring a pic of itsjeff to put on the table. I don't believe he ever missed a picnic.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2846
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on the weather...but we've hung out as late as 7 or 8pm.

Gertrude

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I love to play volleyball, though I play poorly.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12865
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll fit right in.

H-m-m-n-n, nearby baseball field for the sandlotters?!

Family picnic as the years go by...

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shucks...I will be out of town that weekend.

Have fun and plot Detroit's comeback...

Islandman

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I'm a volleyball psycho. I will definitely play if you bring the equipment.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep I'm in too. I'll bring a massive bowl of PESTO pasta for the vegetarians.

The cat & my iguana should get along famously with all the pooches.

(included merely to indicate the prejudice with regards to cats)

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep I'm in too. I'll bring a massive bowl of PESTO pasta for the vegetarians.

The cat & my iguana should get along famously with all the pooches.

(included to indicate the prejudice with regards to cats)

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone lives in the Royal Oak area. My main intersections are 12 and Crooks. I would love to go but unfortunately don't have a way of getting there...would anyone like to pick me up?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11791
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART to DDOT, it's a no brainer.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 719
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Argh! The day of my sister's wedding!

I hope y'all have a fantastic time. I wish I could have been able to make it.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except for the fact I HATE all bus systems and I've never taken the bus before...I've never understood the time table or the route map...and DDOT?? Not in a million years!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, six days to go...and I don't yet have a sense of how many people and what dishes to expect.

If you are planning to attend this year's picnic (which BTW has always been held on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend), please state your intentions so that we have enough paper- and plasticware and other basics for our gathering.

Thanks!

Islandman

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown,

For someone without transportation and trying to get a ride, you should become more familiar with public transportation. Bus schedules are not that hard to figure out.

Good luck.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 424
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok people who else is coming to the picnic. Hey booboo cub has his pic nic basket! (in a yogi bear voice)

(Message edited by cub on May 20, 2008)

Islandman

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there!

Itsjeff's mom and aunt looking to come too.

Islandman

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately I will not be coming. I'm coming into town the following weekend for the Red Bull air races.

Have fun at the picnic!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can't make it either, I'm afraid. My sister will be in town and we have tons of stuff on the plate already!

Islandman-

Where will you be when you're in town? We should hook-up for a beer.....

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Except for the fact I HATE all bus systems and I've never taken the bus before...I've never understood the time table or the route map...

You don't need to. Use Google directions and use the "Public Transit" option. However, if I were using the SMART bus to get to Belle Isle, I would ride to Woodward, take a Woodward SMART route to Jefferson, then bike to Belle Isle.

I plan on biking there on Sunday without using SMART. It's about 16 miles or so from Royal Oak.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Can't make it either, Mrs. d has other plans for Us. Was actually looking forward to this. My regards to all, and I will be looking forward to the next gathering.

Islandman

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,

I'll be staying at my mom's house downtown. She lives a few blocks from the Ren Cen. Drop me an email at alugo242 ***at*** yahoo *$* dot *$* com

I'm coming in on Friday and leaving on Sunday.