Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Annual Forum Picnic, Sunday, May 25 » Archive through May 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2860
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will have a couple large tubs and two coolers for keeping the beverages cold. It would be great if a few folks brought along a bag of ice to add in the mix!!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might actually show up tomorrow. I'm a bit under the weather up here in A2, so it'll depend on whether or not I dry out.

So I probably shouldn't sign up for ice. I'll bring a dessert if I come. :-)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5408
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can bring some chips and pop. Maybe I'll bring some Karl too.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So has the specific location been chosen?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2864
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As stated in the original post on this thread, we will be in the vicinity of the ShadySide picnic shelter...just not in it. Dave and I will post signs, so you should be able to find us pretty readily.

For details on what's being provided and what you need to handle yourself, please read my first post. Thanks!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2865
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...ShadySide is on Muse St., not far from the Flynn Pavilion on Loiter Way. Look for the DetroitYES directional signs to guide you.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, you deserve a compliment.Although I am not a regular attendee at the Annual Picnic, please allow me to side track ( high jack?) the thread long enough to say that you seem to have always had a handle on this event, not just this year but previous years, too. You set the pace, give directions, suggest who brings what, when etc. Who knows, one of these years jjaba and I will attend, but it will take you to keep us in line. No doubt, you will do it.
You would have made a fine Mother Superior.But its probably too late for a career change.
Have a pleasant and safe picnic.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, The_rock, for the kind words (although I'm not too sure about that the Mother Superior reference...which brings to mind Sister Assumpta, our principal at St. Clare).

Sunday promises to be even better than today! Hope to see you all on Belle Isle......

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha! Sister Assumpta! What about Sister Columbanis!?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 473
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, why not go to the festival, and then swing by the meeting to visit for a few and eat?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, where was everybody? Kind of a small turnout when I was there. Nice to see those that were there.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 566
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a great time. Glad I got to sit and talk with Lowell. That was the best part of my day, and also stretchin out my limbs puttin up a few rocks in front of Itsjeffs beautiful new bench. Cubs son Marc Antony was a big help also.

Ill try and get what few pics I took up tomorrow.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8844
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking forward to seeing pics. I hated missing it, but it couldn't be for me this year.

New priorities, new goals!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6883
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great meeting new folks who'm I hadn't met before... Patrick, Gnome, Django, Cub, Ndmom and others! Also the oldtimers from last year!

It's just too bad Ghetto_butterfly couldn't make it. I would have liked to have said fare-thee-well!!

Thanks for all the hard work Kathleen and Dave!!

A wonderful day was had by all!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This will be my first pinic, Im really lookin forward to it. I want to take some pics and possibly video of everyone so PLEASE, if you dont want your pic put up on this site tell me ASAP and I will respect that. Ill the big cracker with the eyepatch (dont bother askin, it was a bar brawl).
Im really lookin forward to meeting you all.
Im bringing booze (cheap vodka). Hope you do too (expensive vodka).

Id be willing to make some mixed discs if I had some suggestions. What do you all want to hear??
I wasnt able to find any Dramatics for cub though. please post what you want to hear. I understand Gannons bringing the stereo.

This is a WARNING, if I do not get suggestions it will be a day full of Butthole Surfers and Grateful Dead.

Django You the man. In a future meetup I need a hug and a high five.

Bigb23 ICE BEER.

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I and the kids had a blast today. Thanks so much, Kathleen and Dave, for putting this together. It was great seeing Gannon again as well as meeting so many new people.

Many thanks to all of those who very patiently listed to my younger son explain life, love and the universe to all in earshot.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6531
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is sorry to have missed the big event. Please post pictures here, expecially of Itsjeff's new bench.

Thanks.

jjaba.

Django

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here just a few pics of the picnic. Thank you Kathleen for the kickass spread. I had a great time

(Message edited by django on May 26, 2008)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Katherine and Dave, for hosting a lovely event. The day was perfect with just a hint of a breeze and everyone was just beautiful. It was like a prom, but in shorts and no one threw-up.

It was so nice meeting everyone and visiting ItJeff's bench. I'm sure Lowell will start his own thread on it's location and whatnot.

It was amazing watching Django build a couple of his trademark monuments. He moved huge chunks of concrete with ease; then married them to form these impossibly delicate cairns. Of all the things I thought of when I saw eighty pound concrete slabs, their natural balance point wasn't on my radar. Django opened my eye to seeing things in a whole new way.

Anyway, it was a real pleasure meeting everyone, and again, thank you. Oh, yes, since I am so shy, please no pics of me. please

Django

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, usually I make a point of asking everyone, I totally forgot.

Gnome

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, If you have any pix of you Belle Isle Stone Hedge series, I'd love to see them.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11795
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a second, you mean Django is the Stone Hedge dude? I met you a few years ago on Belle Isle!

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, i am really sad. i kept checking back here over the last couple weeks to see if the picnic was still happening this year but i never heard anything from anyone or saw any posts the last time i checked so i just assumed it wasn't. i am bummed. would have liked to have been there with my notorious Jello shots.

(Message edited by superaygun on May 26, 2008)

Gnome

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer, SuperRaygun, it's been a long time since Jello Shots...Kathleen posted the picnic notice a couple weeks ago and has decreed in her role as Mother Superior, the picnic will forever be the Sunday before Memeorial Day, amen.

SS: yes Django, is the Hedge Fun guy. Very clever.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12967
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very humble, too. He insists he is 'just' stacking rocks!

Supersport, it would've been nice to see you. Did they have you working the DEMF at the Plaza?

Superaygun, you were sorely missed. Guess I'll have to have a party at the loft soon instead. heh

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11796
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not working, but house projects and visiting family to help out took priority this year.

Django

Post Number: 576
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Party at Gannons????

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12972
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as I'm home, there is ALWAYS a party at Gannon's!

I'm heading over to Corktown for the evening, but will take any visitors from now until eight.

We've got some beers from yesterday to drink, still, I didn't touch 'em last night...I just fell asleep until the bullets started flying in the morning.

I've got a TV cart for you now, Django, if you want it.

Cheers

Django

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont need a cart, I use that old trunk, the tv fits perfect inside it. Do you actually have a universal? Id love to watch the wings with sound. Tried to watch the first game using the radio but the delay was about 30 seconds. I thought it was supposed to be like 7 seconds.

SCOOOORREE, 30 seconds later.

Oops, sorry folks, didnt mean to use this forum as my e mail, Gannon gave me a TV, remote didnt work to turn the sound on. I need his universal remote.

(Message edited by django on May 27, 2008)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4098
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Ravine show up after I left?