Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Anyone attend Austin Prep in GP, Class of1965? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 972
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im going to spend some time with the folks this comming week. I was wondering if anyone attended Austin Prep for boys in GP? My Father (step Father, technically) graduated 1965. William VanTiem. Grew up on Fleetwood with three brothers. George, Tom, Bill, and John, oldest to youngest. I believe they all went there. I was hoping I might find an old friend of his as a surprise when I go up to see him on Friday.

Anyone, anyone?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austin was in Detroit, not GP. I believe the old school is still being used as an assisted living home. It closed in 1978 so I did not attend.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My pop went there from 1970-73 I think.

Django

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks crew, I didnt know that, just assumed it was in GP since thats where they lived. Do you know the cross streets?

J_stone, My Uncle John was the youngest but I think he graduated by probably 68

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7025
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cross streets are E. Warren Ave. at Canyon, just south of Balduck Park.

Django

Post Number: 985
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ill check that out and hopefully get some pics for my dad, he'll get a kick outta that.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SELL BUSHWOOD?

Detroitking
Username: Detroitking

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew some VanTiems that went to GPN. Any relation?

Django

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56pack, I dont get it, whats the pic of?

DK, must be, Ive never heard of any VanTiems that were not related, but whats GPN? The only ones I know personally are my dads 3 brothers and of course his Parents. Theres George Senior, Jr, Tom, Bill, and John. Do you have any names?

Detroitking
Username: Detroitking

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe North HS. A friend of mine went there and I met a couple of VanTiems at a couple of parties. Named Bill, Brian and Brian probably mid 30s now.

Django

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill ask my Dad, His name is Bill but hes in his 60s.
Thanks.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were some VanTiems at Bishop Gallagher in the 1970s as well. Steve was one, Patrick another if I'm remembering correctly.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, how about Philomena? GP South. Know her? She and I hung out in the late 1970's. I wonder what she's up to. She had gold eyes.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I went to school with a Don VanTeim at Detroit Servite back in the 70's.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django- did you live on Fleetwood?

Django

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Pgn, my dad (technically stepdad)did, about a block west of Mack, he grew up there. My grandparents moved out around 1996.

Im takin all the names you all have given me and am going to be running them by my dad, Keep em commin though. Ill try and post what I find out early next week at the latest.

My Pop uses the internet at the library up north in his small town once a week or so, Im tryin to convince him to get a puter at home. All this talk here might do the trick.

Pgn421

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django- what street did you grow up on?

Django

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Brighton. Why?

Hunter Rd to be exact, and Hyne for a sec during college and in between Dead tours, LOL.

(Message edited by django on June 18, 2008)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew the name VanTiem sounded familiar to me. I needed some time to mull it over in my brain... There was a VanTiem family that lived In East Detroit - yeah - when it was still East Detroit. The wife babysat my son before and after school back in the late 70s early 80s, when I worked in downtown Detroit. She had 2 or 3 boys around the same age. They lived over by the church/school on Toepher off of Gratiot. Can't think of the name of it right now...senior moment. Perhaps the husband was a relative of your Pop's?

Pgn421

Post Number: 631
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

django-thought you might have lived on the east side,

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my law partners and I played slo-pitch soft ball in a Detroit recreational league in the 60's and 70's at Balduck and Cannon Parks. Barry Van Tiem was on our team, and I think he was a GPer.
One of my Partners was Ed Brady Jr. who graduated from Austin and played ss, and every now and then Dave DeBusschere who I think might have also graduated from Austin would show up and play for Cal's Old Timers which was sponsored by Cal's Pizza which used to be on E Warren. We were sponsored by the original Shield's Bar on E. Conant.

The_rock

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to think of it, I think Shield's was on E. Davison! We are going back a few years.
Another attorney-Austin graduate whose name comes to mind is Al Rutledge.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave DeBusschere - Austin Class of '58!

Here's his NBA Bio: http://www.nba.com/history/pla yers/debusschere_bio.html

And an Austin classmate remembers Dave:
http://jameswagner.com/2003/05 /dave_debusscher.html

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shields (the original location) was on Conant, just north of McNichols

Pgn421

Post Number: 633
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shields, was on Shields and Conant, that where they got the name

Django

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_Rock, yeah Barry is my Dads Cousin, We called him Uncle Barry. havnt seen him in years. I wonder if Barrys family is the one Erie is talking about. I remember Barry had two boys, one with some medical problems.

Pgn, I live on the East side NOW.

The_rock

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421---Now I don't want to take on both you and packman, but I disagree. I say Shields was at Shields and E. Davison, across from Jayne Field.
Conant and Shields practically parallel each other rather than intersect with each other.
I thought the original Shields was at that location, and it was really called Shield's Bar.And that was our sponsor and where we got our pizza and a few beers after our softball games. Packman says the original location was Conant above McNichols, but I thought the original Buddy's was in there.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock - I have to agree with you. I worked on E. Davison and the office would frequently order take out from both places. I seem to remember having to pick up an order or two along the way.

BTW - did you ever go to the Dav-Mount Bar? Of course, it was located at E. Davison and Mt. Elliot! A guy named Eddie was the bar owner. Just curious...this was in the late 60s to early 70s I'm talking about.

Django - do you remember the name of your Uncle Barry's wife? If you do, that might trigger something in my head!

Django

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill ask my Dad tomorrow dear.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, don't forget to ask about Philomena. She should be about 48 or so now. Thanks.

Django

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

will do Kath.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, she and I had some wild fun prior to responsibility.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath - that's a different way of saying it...HA - prior to responsibility! I'll have to remember that phrase.

Ok Django - you've got your homework assignments from us. LOL Detective work....

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J-Stone, is your father's name Joel, by any chance? And does he have a sister named Mignon?

(Message edited by jcole on June 20, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had my Dad look over all you wrote, the only one he recognized was his Cousin Barry he was Elemer and Billie son., Donald and Jo VanTiem, John and Louise Hindelang were his other Aunts and Uncles. After talking wit my Pop I now realize how large the VanTiem family was. I had no Idea. I appreciate everyones response.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh Django - I think it was Jo that watched our youngest son. That name rings a bell. Did your Dad verify if they lived in East Detroit? Or did you remember to question him on that part? Small world, eh?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, that was/is Saint Veronica's.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES! East_detroit - I couldn't think of that for nuttin! I could picture it, but could not name it. Thanks ED - another mystery solved! LOL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.