Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Cat Owners on DetroitYes Roll Call! « Previous Next »
Archive through June 19, 2008Bigglenlake28 06-19-08  9:56 am
Archive through June 20, 2008Ragtoplover5930 06-20-08  7:29 pm
Archive through June 27, 2008Lnfant30 06-27-08  12:16 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:21 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
I do have two interesting things to tell about cats, But I'm out on the patio and it's getting dark, I can't see the keys I'm hitting

______________________________ _____

Hey Ragtop, what are the things? And, that sleeping cat video was awesome!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucy, the amazing Wonder Cat.

Sept. 1985 - March, 2008 (and we still miss her)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwww Jim, I'm so sorry:-(

Lucy lived a long life, huh. She's a darling - what made her an 'amazing wonder cat'? Have you got a good story? I'd love to hear it.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, sorry, life almost took over around here lol

anyway, what I was wanting to add last week was that we have all heard stories about animals (mostly cats) finding their way home over long distances?
I was sceptical about those things until I seen it for myself.

I'll start at the beginning, We started out with a Black cat named "Precious", A wonderfully loving and gentle cat, and Tiger (the orange stray that liked no one)
We were caught in between selling our house, and the one we were building, not being finished. so we spent some time living in a motel and the cats went to live for awhile with my sister on her farm
well, Precious ran away during that time.
A few months later my sis called and said they found her, we went right out and sure enough, we too thought it was her, Looks and Reactions were Identical,,, until I noticed she had claws again? ( we De-clawed both of them for indoors)
But this cat acted exactly like the cat we lost, I even called the vet to see if claws could grow back---- NO. We talked about it and decided we would adopt "Pepper"
Shortly after, The Gals in the household came home with another young cat, (This would be Cheerio) and Pepper took to Cheerio just like it was his own, Tiger was still a loner.

(Start Story 1 here lol)
Now move forward 4 yrs, we sold that house and bought another about 4 miles away.
At first we kept the cats inside until we felt sure they knew we were here for good, but as soon as we let them out, Pepper came up missing?
2 days later we got a call from the people that bought our other house, Pepper was back over there.
we went and brought him back, and sure enough he was missing again in about a day.
Long story short, not the 2nd but the 3rd time they called that he was back over there, we just told them He knows the way if he wants to come back to us. I guess he liked it there better than where we are now?
Cheerio took it hard that his Pepper was gone.

But it didn't end with that?

(story 2 coming up)

Last December a house down the street caught fire, and the people still have not been back.
they left behind our "Gus"
At first we would feed him and look after him, thinking they will be back for him when things settled down.
Gus is a Lover! at least when Phoebe (the Gray cat)is around, He cannot leave her alone and was getting to be a problem.
The cold weather was coming and the "Fire People" still haven't come to get him, We knew if we De-clawed and "Fixed" him, we could let him in on those cold nights.
But I wasn't about to spend that kind of money on him if the "Fire People" were to show up and finally claim him,,

so I did a bad thing.

One cold morning I put Gus into the trunk with a bowl of food and dropped him off about 2 miles away by a Daycare on my way to work, Knowing that as people started bringing their kids in that someone would take him.
On my way home I went back by there and seen that the bowl was gone, so I assumed all was well and he now had a safe home.
I never said a word at home, and at night the gals were out calling for him to get him in from the cold, But I knew better! someone had him and we didn't need to worry about it any more.

Well that's what I thought anyway?

2 days later as I was leaving again, I opened the door and there he was, cold ,hungry, and fur full of burrs. He had made his way back to us!
When I came home, I told the Mrs. what I did and what I decided! I decided that if he was going to want to be with us that bad as to come back after I dropped him off like that, that the least I could do was have him fixed and De-clawed and put my claim on him, Even if his real owners came for him, I knew he would escape and come back to us.
(just like Pepper did to our old house)

I had heard cats would find their way home but never really bought into it that much, After seeing it myself 4 times with 2 cats, Now I'm a believer!
Gus

And I know these look like two lazy cats, But I can tell you that Gus has brought the Kitty back out of Cheerio, these two will toss and tumble all around the yard.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 823
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cats have a certain wildness about them.They look cute when they roughouse and play, but what they are doing is practicing KILLING! Youre cute and fluffy tom cat will very possibly kill a litter of kittens it stumbles upon while on the prowl.The former neighbors in the house next to our apartment complex had two cats: one white, one black, the white kitty was very jittery and would run away if I tried to approach it. The black one would let me play with it, and leerily came inside the apartment building.I witnessed the other kitty stalk and kill a Morning dove on one occasion, a small mouse on another bush, the hunting grounds being the bushes and small plots of grass in the back of the apartment building. The cat slinked down,walked a couple of steps then BLAM! a cute sprint and dispatch of its prey. Do any of you know of any documentarys of cat behaviour, feral and domesticated? Cats are fascinating creatures.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtop, thanks for telling your stories. I totally enjoyed reading them. Cheerio looks so much like our cat, Killer. And that Gus is a beauty! I love them both. Lol about the 'I did a bad thing' line, but, whaddaya gonna do sometimes?

A lady came to my driveway last year and said that Killer looked like her old cat 'Sandy'. She lives 2 blocks away and her cat 'Sandy' ran away a couple of years ago, (about the time that Killer turned up dancing on his hind legs for us to pet him.) I didn't know what to do or say. She said that if it was her old cat he sure looked happy and I said we sure do love him. Well, she said she has three other cats, so no worries. Phew! I thought for a moment that she was going to try to take Killer.

And what kind of a name is Sandy for such a handsome young stud? That's when I knew why he came to us. Needs to be an only child, and hated his sissy name!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9182
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice pix of the "kids", and great stories, Ragtoplover59.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, there are some "neighborhood" cats in our area, that rely on 3 or 4 neighbors to feed them and provide comfortable places to sleep, both winter and summer. One neighbor will be the "lead" owner and make sure the cat gets veterinary care.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People Mover Cat or

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monorail cat ROCKS!

Alan, our next door neighbor just gave me four containers of dry cat food because her babies come here for food during the day. One would think that she should feed them herself, but she has a nine to five job and we are here most days, so..."it takes a village"!

One of the cats has started turning his nose up at the dry food because he also finds the Elegant Medleys wet food most tasteful. Too bad for him, it's for Killer only!

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The REAL reason why DetroitYES sometimes goes down...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, just thought I'd answer your question, although it's to say that I've only seen one show on tv on PBS about cats and their origins, etc. It was fascinating, but at least two years ago.
I don't want to even think of a cat killing other baby cats. I've heard of mother rabbits eating their young, but cats?............I just can't fathom.

Alan55

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, just wait until "the neighbor's cats" start turning their nose up at canned cat food and become kitchen sharks, demanding cooked chicken!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nooooooooooooooooooo! If I EVER cook food for a cat, shoot me. ( I say that, but you just never know to what lengths I'll go for a cat.)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother and his wife bake chicken for their two chows and a cat named Sylvester. Those animals are totally spoiled rotten :-)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4919
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to sign an agreement when I got both of my cats that I would not amputate their claws (also known as declawing) as it makes them helpless if attacked. Nice stories, but I had to put that in there. You are cutting off the last joint of their toes. Amputated.

Carry on. I have two beautiful orange male cats, both with claws, neither one of them touch my furniture. Beautiful spoiled lovermen.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3350
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you, Orf. My cat loves to claw the doormat. Does that first thing when going out and the last thing before coming back in. He loves it...makes him realize he's still 'got it'.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59, I have a cat that looks alot like Gus...all that long hair from the ears, and mine has the longest fur on her feet and between her toes that I have ever seen on a cat. She was a stray ( one of the 10 I fed at work ) and a great cat. I think she looks little Maine Coon. And Matt, Cordy could be the twin to my cat Smokie. Had to put her down a few years ago. she had diabetes and had daily insulin shots. And I do cook chicken for my three once and a while as a treat ( microwaved, not baked!)

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette,
You are correct about declawing being an amputation, Although I never really thought of it like that until your post, I googled declawing and quite frankly, it was a grim picture!

We started it way back when, we had Precious first, then Tiger (the unhappy stray) came and would not leave(believe me ,I tried to run her off) The Mrs said we would just keep her too.
Well, we lost a sofa, some curtains and a few other things to her claws. She was an older cat, and wasn't about to learn any new tricks.

She also would walk up on Precious when she was sleeping and start slapping at her and then run away. ( and all the later cats)
At the time, the only answer was to declaw. I asked the Mrs why we kept doing it to all the rest of the cats we've taken in, and she said it was my idea? to be fair to Tiger ( if Tiger slaps, of course the other will defend) so to keep Tiger safe, Precious also had it done.

Precious was replaced with Pepper, and Tiger still wanting to make slapping part of her fun, so of course to protect Tiger, Pepper joined the cause?
Along comes Cheerio and it seemed like the normal thing to do again? Didn't even give it a second thought

and Pheobe too?

I spent a lot of money to keep these cats safe around Tiger.
Maybe it wasn't the right thing to do after all?

Tiger had a kidney failure last fall and we had her put down, I guess we can also stop declawing any future cat we take in!

I did however already do it again, and Tiger wasn't the reason.

Gus has also been relieved of his claws , this time to save the wildlife in the yard.
We feed the Birds & Squirrels and Rabbit's that come to our yard, and Gus is the only one that is determined to rid the yard of birds, and if he learns to shimmy up the martin house pole, He will!
He would climb up into the trees to get to the nest's and for that reason (and not tiger) I took him to the Doctor also.

Now I'm learning it's not the preferred method?
Thanks for your post, to get me looking into this a bit more!

On a Happy note, All of our cats have done just fine in their claw less world! And we have not experienced any problems from other animals toward our cats.

as for the cats pawing at things, they still do that ( Cheerio give fantastic back rubs lol)
One article said it was exercise to dig the claws into something and pull back, my cats seem strong enough with their pushing routine.
But will I do it again, Probably not!

Thanks, Rag

Detroitbred, I think Gus is a great looking cat, the markings and the long hair are a good mix.
But cooking chicken for them is out of the question lol
Is enough just to remember what can food they all like :-)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4945
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RTLover, when I got my newest cat (at the Detroit Zoo's Meet Your New Best Friend Day - one look and I fell in love) I was chatting up some cat people. They tell me there's a new laser method that permanently takes the claws to just at the quick, painless and fast. Expensive, I bet.

If you put duct or electrical tape on your furniture it will deter even older cats from scratching. After a couple of weeks, the habit is gone and they won't do it. You need to provide somewhere for them to scratch, it's ingrained. Exercises their toes and releases tension.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing about electric tape or other. When you take it off the furniture some of the glue can remain. this I know from experience. Don't know if it's true for all furniture. One of my past cats loved my couch and I just couldn't get him to stop. I tried aluminum foil (they hate that), but you can't cover the whole couch with it. I finally gave up and let him have the thing. Sometimes having a cat or four means you just don't have beautiful furniture!
Killer scratches the back of a chair only if he wants to go out and we seem to be ignoring him.

Oldred, post a pic of your New Best Friend if you can.

Alan55

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, wrap the furniture legs with old towels first, and then put the duct tape over that.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plz post kitteh pics

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4947
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sid

Here's Sidney

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4948
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HoChi

hochi peekaboo

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4949
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't really tell how beautiful Sid's coat is, it's a rich cinnamon red/orange. He had never had a home, he's 4 and was shuttled from shelter to shelter. It's taken him a while to realize that this is his home but he's getting there. He has a porch that he can go outside and lay in the sun, and another cat to fight with in the middle of the night.

Ho can't believe we did that to him, but he'll get there.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sid is sleek with beautiful gold eyes. And his nose is cool. Looks healthy. I can't figure out if HoChi is coming out from under something, or what. what is happening in that picture? I want to see another pic of HoChi if you can.

Thanks, Alan55 for the towel tip. How do you wrap a couch? (Max was my scratching cat. He's been gone to the big scratching post in the sky since 16 years.)

Alan55

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use a cover on the couch.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.dumpalink.com/video s/Kitten_vs_dog-dj18.html

cute clip.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO @ Monorail Cat. To funny!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a cat once, but the dog ate it. So technically, I'm still a cat owner.

Kayakor
Username: Kayakor

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allow me to introduce....Mr. Flash. I live in his house in Ferndale.

Flash

Bulletmagnet...I was going to walk over to Strawberry Moon Bakery based on your nice recommendation on the "discuss Detroit" board...but now both Flash and I are mad at you. We're staying home.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pray tell, Kayakor! Why, for art thou not satisfied with the aforementioned Moon la Strawberry? And may I say that your kitty looks so familiar?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2597
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH! I finally found my post/rant on the subject of cats & their owners. Some of you may end up wanting to slap me for this, but here 'tis:

Cats. I have never liked them. That's a baseline, subjective response. It doesn't start anywhere. Dogs? I like them O.K.... I grew up around them. I wouldn't have one now, because now I'm the homeowner and Male Adult of Domicile (M.A.D.,) and I don't want to be bothered with the added responsibility. Plus, whether you be pet or human, if you crave attention, I'm not your guy. I suppose that I sound more like a "cat person," that way, but I'm not. Cats are smart? Yeah, sure. They ain't that bright. I will allow that they are crafty; it's part of that hunter-gatherer anthropology, but it's related to some of the reasons why I don't like them. The little villains are, so frequently, up to something. (I wouldn't want to have a beer with a cat; I might let my guard down.) But smart? Please. They're more like small-time crooks, not really bright, but so thoroughly devoted to their self-serving ways that they develop a keen ability for figuring out what they can get away with, where they have an "edge," and who they can take advantage of, or exploit. But truly, it is the cat owners who drive me crazy, so in love with their little darlings, telling cat stories to anyone who will listen, and telling them with the abundant, overflowing love of a new grandparent, or a person who has just fallen in with a new lover. Speaking of grandparents, my grandmother had a really nice chair, for about thirty years, until she died some years back. She took good care of stuff. From when I was about ten years old, until her death, the chair had some light signs of wear, but was otherwise immaculate. My brother and his wife, having developed some cat-like skills of their own, somehow managed to end up in possession of many items from my late grandma's home, including the chair. I'm at their house, one day, and I notice the wife trying to "get up" something on the chair's seat cushion. One of their goddam cats had barfed up a little "package" of hair, vomit, mucus, and whatever else they partially digest before nonchalantly spewing it in the location of their casual choice. However, I could tell that it was not seen as a big deal; the wife had a "it happens all the time" resoluteness about her as she attempted to clean it up. Thirty years, me dear sweet grandmum took fine care of that chair, and it probably wasn't in their cat-infested home for more than two weeks before it was used as a spittoon by one of their beloved cats, who my brother always introduces one by one as they pass, furtively, through the room, circling around me and sliding along my leg as though, despite their vaunted intelligence, they don't realize that they are deeply invading my personal space, even though if you did that to them, they would howl bloody murder and slash the shit out of you. "Oh, that's Sasha; she's the philosophical one." Man, shut the fuck up. Sasha's the one who I would be flinging against the wall, if I didn't care about your feelings. "And there's Max; he's the environmentally conscious one." What, is he a member of Greenpeace? Oh yeah, I get it; he's probably the one who recycled that puke all over my grandma's chair. If a dog did something like that, he or she would be in for a good ass-whuppin, but cats are treated like they are the owner's children. What do you do, give them a "time-out?" Ah, lackaday; I said I wouldn't get into this...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Ravine! Feel better now?

The last part where you start getting really angry cracked me up!

Ravine

Post Number: 2600
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Kath. That one is an oldie which I attempted to dig up, earlier. I just happened to run across it, well, elsewhere, in a place where it was cut & pasted.

Lnfant

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Flanders_field post (orig posted in one those irrate non-Detroit categories}:
kittee lullaby

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attention?

Cat's can use a toilet, and dogs cannot.

Enough said.

Ravine

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean has won me over. The claim that cats can be trained to use a toilet-- for more than an alternate source of drinking water-- does, indeed, convince me to forgive all of their other wretched, annoying, thoroughly obnoxious traits, as well as it persuades me to be more tolerant of the fawning admiration which they receive from their owners, who worship them as some form of sneaky, hair-shedding deities.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone....looking for advise/ comments on my cats strange new behavior. She is 6 yrs old, always sweet and affectionate, no trouble at all. Within the last week she will be fine one minute, then suddenly cowers and shrinks away from us, acts as though she has been hit ( she hasn't ever ) and as though she doesn't know who the hell we are. She shrinks away and goes behind furniture, etc, then a little while later she is fine, her old self again. I was inclined to think she had an ear or eye problem, but don't see any signs of either, no scratching or shaking her head, etc. I have cats all my life and never had one act like this. I am stumped. Any ideas?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I missed your response until just now. LOL!

Detroitbred, I don't have any advice.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred,

The behavior your cat is exhibiting is similar to my cat's when he had bad pain. Honestly, I think you should take her to the vet. My cat had never acted wierdly and suddenly he would disappear, act disoriented, not let us touch him, etc. The vet said it was because he was in pain and that cats will hide because of it, it scares them.

Any strange behavior is cause for concern.

I hope you take her to the vet. Let me know what happens, ok? Good luck.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and check her mouth for red, swollen gums. That could be her problem and a round of antibiotics could help. (that was my cat's problem)He had to have a couple of teeth removed.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is she strictly an indoor cat? We had a cat that we let outdoors and he came home acting sort of like your cat, but also was walking crooked and stumbling around. The vet said he'd probably gotten into some sort of insecticide sprayed plants or weed killer. Symptoms were neurological in nature he said. Get your kitty checked...let them keep him until they can observe the symptoms first hand.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-( :-( :-( R.I.P. :-( :-( :-(

Missy

Detroitbred

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all...good advise / ideas. Grumpy, she is primarily an indoor cat, but we do take her out on occasion, and stay right with her. She did have a bad reaction once to a flea product, so I know what you are saying about the neurological possibilities. That was very scary, foaming at the mouth, very strange behavior, etc. This is a bit different, but weird and worrisome too. Kath, I will check her mouth...thanks for the suggestion. She seems to be eating and drinking normally, but I will take her to the vet and let you all know. Thanks so much everyone, I knew I could count on you!!

Detroitbred

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Sean, so sorry about your kitty. I have been in your shoes....always tough. When you lose one it makes you think you won't get another, to avoid going through that again, but they add so much to our lives it's as hard to live without them and it is to let them go.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sympathies, too, Sean. My son's "little girl", Bitty, is recovering from surgery as I write this. We're hoping for some good news this afternoon. Her behavior was the opposite of what's been discussed here - she was in pain and suddenly started seeking out much more affection than usual. She is one of 5 strays we had move in (all "fixed", one came already de-clawed). All stay inside, with an occasional escape through the bathroom window for an hour or two by Taz or Buddy. The neighborhood Toms scare 'em back in pretty quick without any physical injuries, thank goodness. All with their own weird behaviors. Taz is the worst - he loves to tangle himself in and suck on long hair, which my son and I both have. The seem to have their own favorites among the dogs, too.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Sean, I am so sorry. I can't even think of anything else to say. :-(

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's nothing to say.

Thanks though.

Lnfant

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOD, sorry to hear about your close kitty kat passing. I too, just had to go through similar on Friday. My girlfriend would've been alone with Jiminy Crickett had I not canceled my plans in order to be with her during his final hour. He was 17 yrs. and suddenly started to fall apart. He was a sweetheart, always yanking at my heartstrings. These fuzzy creatures are a wonder.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant, my condolences to you and your girlfriend.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant, I'm feeling for you today also. So good that you could all be together at that time. My condolences on Jiminy's passing.

Lnfant

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so sobering. Thanks for your kind posts.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred, how's kitty today?

Detroitbred

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath, thanks for asking...she seems better, more like her old self. Still flinches once in a while. When my daughter is here to help me, I'm going to have a look at her teeth. ( it will take 4 hands for sure I doubt they are the problem since she is eating, hard and soft food and treats like always. When we took her in ( she was a stray ) she had a viral eye infection, which she still gets every so often. I don't see the usual inflammation and watering that normally happens. Still a mystery to me.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear that she's feeling better. If she's eating, you are right, it wouldn't be painful gums, would it?

Well, I always want to run to the Vet and my husband says, "wait a couple of days". Waiting and not jumping to the vet is sometimes smart - and of course, less expensive!

She could've eaten something that just didn't sit well with her, or been bitten by some bug or whatever.

Post a picture of her if you can :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.