Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Expat Members Roll Call ! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like everybody else is checking in so how about all the expats sign in too. Me first.

Nanska - Regensburg, until first of July and then Changchun. But no matter where I go, will always be a Detroiter - West Side !

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Nanska. Where is Regensburg? Changchun?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Regensburg. Never been there. Hell, never been out of North America. But it is special to me because.....

During WW II, Regensburg was the site of a Messerschmidt factory. As a result, the town was heavily bombed, many times. The damage to the town was enormous.

Allied bombers, however, were told to avoid bombing the huge cathedral located there, and somehow, they did. The cathedral and its contents survived the war generally unharmed.

Ten years ago I got into genealogy. Looking in to Mom's family history, I learned that all the church records of her family were located....in the cathedral at Regensburg. I eventually was able to trace her line back to 1600 thanks to the preserved records.

Yep, I know where Regensburg is. \

Oh, I'm in Henderson, NV, for 24 years after 47 in Detroit. Not Dearborn or Warren....good old Detroit proper.

Nanska

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regensburg is in Bavaria, and yes, there was a lot of damage done during WWII, but the Altstadt was mostly spared and is a big tourist attraction now. Esp. w/groups of old American GI's and their wives. See them all the time during the summer months strolling up and down the streets of the Old City. Can always spot the Americans 'cause they all wear white gym shoes. Most Europeans in that age group don't wear "trainers" ( what they call gym shoes over here ) out in public. Makes the Ami's really stand out. And Changchun is in China. NE China. REAL cold in the winter. Hubby has been transferred - again! So off we go. Don't know when/if we will ever make it back to Detroit. So glad that this forum is online. Helps me stay informed about what is going on in the City.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Nanska, you're a real expat!

I've been in the Los Angeles area for almost 12 years, after living in D.C. and going to school in Chicago. A lot of Detroiters in all three places. I haven't lived in Michigan since 1986, but I still consider Detroit home. Will be visiting this summer.

Wilkes36
Username: Wilkes36

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from college, live and work in Chicago. I was born in Detroit and lived there until I left for the Army at age 22. I graduated from Detroit Redford High School. After my six years on active duty I returned to Detroit but left for my present home, Chicago. I have been here since 1995. I am always, however, a Detroiter.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved to Austin, TX in May of 1978. (1973 graduate of Henry Ford HS) My children are Texans but I am still a Yankee from Detroit. I'll be visiting this summer to see my folks who now live in Dearborn Heights. Looking forward to White Castles and good coney dogs. Course when I'm up there I miss by Tex-Mex a lot.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been in North Central Washington state since 1978. Left Ferndale (close enough?) in 1972 when I moved to Colorado. And to answer the questions I'm asked by friends back east:

Yes, all the time.
("Does it really rain a lot?" Actually, I live on the dry side of the state)

Up to our asses.
("When Mt. Saint Helens blew, did you get much ashfall?" Well no, actually. I was living in Tacoma at the time and the coast was spared.)

Sabrelancer
Username: Sabrelancer

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Left Detroit in '80, WMU Kalamazoo. Arrived in
Germany in '83 courtesy US Army. Short stints in Panama, Iraq, Kurdistan (oops, sorry, Northern Iraq/Southern Turkey), married a "Frau" and stayed in Germany until this year. Hope to be back home to Deeetroit some time next year...

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ozarks checking in.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try, Nanska, but it doesn't look like many of the people here know what expatriate means.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wife and I left Detroit in the late 80s. Lived in several very diverse locations across America before settling on California.

Almost accepted a great IT opportunity at a renowned bank in Manhattan in 1996. Wife vetoed the idea stating she did not want to raise our kids there. She was on to something, cause this bank had IT offices in the World Trade Center.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3599
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moved on up from the east-side, to marquette, to Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Tulsa, Fayetteville...sights on Santa Fe...hearts still in Detroit...would love to retire in Traverse City or the Ozarks....however looks like Santa FE ..

Nanska

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Spidergirl, your right. Perhaps I should have included the following definition:

Definition of Expatriate:

Any persons living or working outside of the country for which they hold a passport, for a period exceeding 6 months per Period of Cover.

www.theinsurancepage.co.uk/exp at-insurance-glossary.html

I know there are a few "real" expats on the forum, and I just wanted all of us to check in. But it is still nice to see where people who left Detroit, but are still living in the States, are at.

So, shall we try this again? If you are an expat DetroitYes Forum user, where are you at now? And why did you leave the Detroit area?

Wilkes36
Username: Wilkes36

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people would also link being a expatriate to causation. If u are stationed overseas, as I was for 2 years in Germany and 9 months in the middle east, I don't believe it counts because being near any military activity means cultural immersion will not happen. Being an expat is also about cultural immersion. I'm sure Hemmingway and Josephine Baker were not shopping in the commissary and stars and stripes bookstore and all the other stuff the government puts near military bases on foreign soil. Don't nit-pick, this is a valid forum whether you live in Kabul or Cleveland.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point taken Wilkes36. And, Go Huskies!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.