Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging django « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick rock stacking ouestion.Do you have any pics?I've been doing some stone work at the house.I'm not sure what your stone of choice is and/or your style.Thanks,Dave

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually use mostly broken up chunks of concrete. The stuff that lines the shores of Belle Isle. www.mldavis.com the site is old and in need of repair but there should still be a few pics to give you an idea. Good luck.

Davemarc

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude ,I was going talk to you about a project at the house,but you are WAY to much of an artist for my house!VERY COOL

Django

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, most artists are poor and that includes me. Im always lookin for work. Im very reasonable. What did you have in mind?

Django

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got it, you can remove your address if you want to now.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - I took a look at the website you posted. WOW! That must take quite some time and a lot of talent to put those together. What do you use to bond the rocks together? Do you make those real big stacks of rocks too? Those are so neat.

Django

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie my dear, anything on Belle Isle was freestanding. I believe the only pieces that have mortar are the Magnolia Neighborhood project and the work I did for my friend Ken Nagius.

All of the freestanding pieces are long gone as they fall easily. Thanks for the compliment. Its really not as hard as it looks. Im a big guy, I can lift more than most, thats about the only talent that someone needs to have to stack some rocks. If you like this sort of thing, check out Andy Goldsworthy, now that man is amazing.

http://images.google.com/image s?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8& rlz=1T4PCTA_enUS275US275&q=gol dsworthy&um=1&sa=X&oi=image_re sult_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is amazing - I like the slate cone and the stone egg and the one with all the stones stacked on the waterfront. Thanks for posting that link - and there's so much more on Goldsworthy than just the rocks. Very beautiful work indeed.

We've got quite a few rocks that we've gathered from our travels. They line all around our back porch, in no particular formation. They're not really huge - I'll give some thought to stacking them and see how they turn out.

Oh how sad that the Belle Isle rocks are gone. Those formations were really neat. :-(

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 532
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Erie,
Trust me it gets addictive for a while. My son wants to stack rocks all the time(Me too). Django has a gift that is truly great. When you see him making it from start to finish is when you have the greatest admiration for his work. When you try it yourself you will see he is very gifted.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cub! Was just outside looking at the rocks we have and trying to get some ideas of how I want to stack them. It's too wet out there right now, so I was thinking when our 7 year old grandson comes to stay with us in about a week, that might be something we can do together. I figure I'll show him the pictures from the website Django provided and see if we can come up with some ideas on how to do it.

How old is your son that he wants to stack rocks? Is 7 years old too young, or do you think that might be the time to start to develop an eye for this type of art? Oftentimes, kids can see stuff that adults don't.

I have seen the stacks around, but never gave much thought to how they got where they are or how they were put together. But I can see now that it takes a very keen eye with much attention to detail. I'm anxious to try it!

Django

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive seen kids much younger than 7 try their hand at it.

Cub

Post Number: 535
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son is seven. He loves it. Like I said it is addictive.

Django

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I CAN QUIT ANYTIME I WANT TO, I JUST DONT FEEL LIKE IT RIGHT NOW.

Cub

Post Number: 536
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol sure!

Davemarc

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub,I was going to be in your area later,you still have your piece right?

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I've gotten the go ahead from Cub and Django - my work is cut out for me and my 7 year old grandson - all systems are go. I'll let you guys know how the little guy takes to it! Thanks fellas!

Django

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lookin forward to pics my Dear.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13163
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie,

Just begin the lesson with the phrase, "gravity can be our friend, but also an enemy."

Drop a SMALL rock on his hand, then perhaps drop a larger one on a grape. Let him know very harshly in advance that you never want to see his fingers like that grape.

Getting out of the way of falling rocks is one of the greatest lessons in life.

Seven? He should be intrigued, I hope!

The whole process is a study in balance, which is that line/point between gravity's friend/enemy equation...where ART begins.

(I only know this from studying Django at work...it was frustrating, but ultimately rewarding. I think it hilariously funny that we all dote on him, yet he shrugs...blinks...and gets back to work amazing us. The perfect example of someone letting a gift flow, they will NEVER recognize it...merely so much an exhale to their inhale...like my friend Audra Kubat with her music, among MANY examples I've witnessed in the multitudes of creative geniuses we've abounding in this fine town!)

Django

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you G.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just paging you because you're interesting

Django

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Alley, I believe I left you a message on the facebook. I got a message you and my brother in laws sister were in contact. Is that true or is it just a weird facebook thing that Im not understanding?? Her name is Adriana Ledesma, she lives in Brazil.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, such nice things you say about Django's talents. I believe you wrote that from your heart.

Artists baffle me in the way they work. They can see things in a completely different light than most people. My brother and his wife are designers and they are so talented. Something as simple as a chalk drawing on the sidewalk with my grandkids, turned into a masterpiece by them. My brother got all the artistic talent in my family. Here I am, lucky if I can draw a decent looking stick figure! HA

But good advice for me to follow when dealing with my grandson and the rocks. Thank you, I will show him exactly that way. I'm really looking forward to seeing if we can come up with something half way decent we can be proud of.

And Django - I will post pictures :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 13172
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie,

I am constantly amazed and astounded by the level of creative genius that I cross paths with in this town.

Some I am lucky enough to meet, a few I am blessed to now call my friends.

I thought we had lost Django a few years ago, and am overjoyed to have him back.

Some continuity that I've found in my creative class friends and associates is that they...we...are all near the edge of what the world would call sanity and extremely sensitive to the imbalances and injustices of the world.

MOST, if not ALL (artists, musicians, poets, painters, philosophers, etc.) consider the 'normal' world completely insane, especially those who accept our present reality wholesale without inspection, or worse without INTROspection!

I'm not sure how and why, but I find myself putting extreme amounts of energy into helping people see the larger picture of life and basic existence...usually for NO monetary gain (like here) because it is SO important to me that others look up from the distractions of their busy lives and learn to actually enjoy life...to LIVE while they're breathing.

Funny thing, often I find myself trying to help my artist friends BREATHE when they are overwhelmed by living. My frustrated friend Audra, for instance. I wish I could help MYSELF, especially when that periodic depression returns...but its nature radically eliminates the power of my intellect by clouding my mind. I've said before that this very place is therapy for me, and that is the most true. On days when I could barely leave my bed...I can still engage other humans here, for better or worse.

It is a tightrope walk, often, because so many artists have that wonderful ability to forge forward with their gifts and talents yet have such internal strife that they choose some VERY curious means to appease that pain, suffering, confusion, and WORST of all...the doubts served by a capitalist monetary system that pursuing outlet or exhale for their gift is foolishness at least and irresponsible at best.

But in the past two years, I've met the most amazing and lovely people who can have the greatest fun...without more than two dimes between five of them! I agree that the appreciation of beauty in all forms is a gift of the unique artists amongst us...but I will argue that YOU have creativity, too. (I fully believe that is the God-likeness within everyone who breathes!)

I am a bohemian, by choice, in a world that despises our nature but loves to taste or sample our production...at least until it makes them uncomfortable.

When all my artist friends want to do is wake them the fuck up and MAKE them notice that what they do to achieve comfort will turn the world color-less, dry, cold, and stale. I guess we're fighting, struggling, striving to allow beauty and love space to exist in our present reality.

Such a strange conundrum of a world we live in...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hm, I don't think I know anyone in Brazil...I'm not all sure of Facebook either, I just use it to check out people on DYes

Django

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I receive a notification you and this relative were using one application or another, sounded like you were using it together. I just thought it weird. It was just worded weird im sure.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon - those are some really nice comments you made about Django. I believe him to be a really nice and friendly guy. One who would be willing to help out wherever and whenever he possibly could. He seems like one of the good ones and that if you have him for friend, you've got a good friend for life. :-)

As for your artist friends - how lucky can you be to be surrounded by such talent. People with talent they are willing to share with you and let you enjoy what they seem to do so effortlessly. Good people like that are hard to come by.

As for your depression, I hope you are getting the help you need. My mother had to be hospitalized for 9 weeks because of the deep depression she was in. This was over a dozen years ago now. The doctor said she was the most depressed person he had ever had to deal with. The only thing that brought her around, and out of her condition, was shock treatment. Honestly. She was scared of it; hell our whole family was scared for her. But...we wanted our mother, wife, grandmother, great grandmother back. So that is what we opted for. Thank God she did it. She has been fine ever since. The doctor thought she would need 12 treatments, but was so much better and back to herself after 9 treatments - she was able to come home, and stay home. She is doing great and she says that if she ever feels herself getting that way again, she will tell us, so we can take her back there for "tune-up." She does not regret having the treatment.

I tell you this, so that maybe you can look into it, if you think that you might be interested. My mom was 68 years old when it was done. She does not take any medications - she is fine. Perhaps you should consider??

Anyway, hope things go well for you. Just keep smiling - makes everyone else wonder what you're up to! :-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - One of our neighbors had his house lifted cause they're putting a foundation under there. Well, in the process, the construction company had to demolish their field stone fireplace. You would not believe some of the beautiful rocks I got from there. Actually, all I had to do was point to the ones I wanted and have Mr. Eriedearie put them in the van! :-)

I mean we have lots of rocks that we've collected on our vacations and stuff - but some of these babies are pretty big and I figure they can be used as the bases for my rock stacking project with our grandson. I can't wait to get started on it! I'll keep you updated!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh - and I'm sorry :-( for the thread jacking post between Gannon and me - but you guys are pals and I figured you wouldn't mind too much. Forgive me Please!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread brings up a subject near and dear to me. That is, creativity and the independence associated with it. I thrill at the thought of ingenuity and the creative process, regardless the context. Case in point, I know nothing about stacking rocks, nor do I really care to. However, I easily appreciate the manifestation of human expression such as described in this thread. Freedom of thought and expression.

Not being niave,I realize "there is nothing new under the sun", and human thought can be like a spirit (i.e. unable to be held captive). We are so much more than we thought possible when we allow ourselves to think independently.

In my craft, software development, there is a constant dilema, create or re-use. Business pressures virtually always dominate the decision-making process, espescially in the private sector. That is how that model functions and is generally accepted without question. Then the creative instrument must prove a "new" idea to be feasible for the need(s) at hand. Thus is my little contribution to creativity.

This thread was refreshing to me, and I wanted to thank all participants. Hope someone here at DYes can appreciate these sentiments :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9273
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10:30 tonite.

Django-mania, Channel 32 TVO, over-the-air broadcast.

Sorry, I can't tape it for you, the deck is at the new house, and I'm still finishing up at the old one today and tomorrow.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And there I was ... tuned to Channel 32 WTVO, bowl of popcorn, a 12 pack, my 15 shot glock and a set of small stones to watch Django stack some rocks. Image my shock to see some guy play guitar ... goodness

Django

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just now saw your post Jams. I wouldn't have been able to watch it cause Im up North. Sound like it didnt happen anyway. Im curious though, was it Robert Manascalcos Art Beat? Im assuming this was a repeat of an Art Beat show.

Jams

Post Number: 9277
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Djangomania!
Djangomania! explores the life and music of near forgotten gypsy jazz guitarist legend Django Rienhardt and the global cult following that he inspired. The film will dispel the racist stereotypes of the Roma people who have been historically misunderstood, scorned and oppressed by examining one of their greatest cultural heroes and his musical legacy, which continues to unite people around the world. Django's music and myth were pivotal points in two Oscar-nominated movies. Chocolat, with Johnny Depp as a jazz strumming Gypsy and Woody Allen's Sweet and Lowdown, haunting Sean Penn's Django gypsy jazz descendants, while legendary NY jazz club Birdland recently held a five-night celebration of Django's music. Who is this mustached man? Who are these mustached fans? And just what does all this have to do with Gypsies, and the true soul of gypsy jazz?

http://www.tvo.org/TVOsites/We bObjects/TvoMicrosite.woa?b?76 63791215398203000

Django

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was WAAAAY off. LOL

Thanks Jams

Jams

Post Number: 9283
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem!

I fell asleep on the couch before the show came on, but what I've learned about Django Riennhardt, and what you've shared with me about your Django, that guitarist would have been proud for such a namesake.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed the link to Django's rock stacking pix...please repost it.

Django

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpy, Thanks for asking. Again I will say that my site has not been managed in a few years, its spotty and not up to date (I really dont have any new works anyway) but some basic pics should be there. Dont bother trying to sign the guestbook as its not working. Im thinking about picking up a book on how to manage a site like mine. Well see what happens.

Im always for hire to do some creative work though, and Im very reasonable price wise.

www.mldavis.com

Dont forget to check out the metalwork.

Thanks again Grumpy, Its always a thrill to have someone ask about you. What a boost of confidence

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 671
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django-

I would like to see you at the Fort tomorrow, as many of us will be gathering for Civil War Days. Gannon is supposed to be coming down, so get with him and come out for the events. It would be awesome to see you again, as it has been a while!

Hopefully you will see this and make it out!

Take care!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah - Django - then you can meet my grandson and maybe give us some pointers on rock stacking! We've been so busy with other stuff we haven't had a chance to tackle that yet. We're shooting for Monday tho'!

Django

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I couldnt make it to the Fort today. I still need to finish another piece at Cubs. Maybe next BBQ we can get together.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to take this paging opportunity to say "Wudd up" to Django.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - was over Cub's yesterday and saw your handy work up close. They look way larger in real life than in pictures. Awesome stuff!

My grandson and his little friend did the rock stacking here and they did a good job. I need new batteries for my camera. Once I have those, I'll take pictures and post them.

Django

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much up Bullet. I am curious about your handle though, have you been shot more than once or something?? Im not trying to be a dick or anything Im just curious.

Erie my dear, Im lookin forward to the pics. Kids seem to really like to balance the rocks and concrete chunks. When I was doin that stuff on Belle Isle I always loved gettin the kids to stack them. I always had this rule that for every stone they stacked thay had to pick up a piece of trash and put in in the closest garbage can. They never seemed to mind to much. Worked out well. Thanks for the compliment Erie, Im not done at Cubs yet, I just finished the tall one and half done with the other.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - we need you over on the non-Detroit column for the Alphabet Game buddy! We miss ya!

Django

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Erie, Ive been ignoring the non Detroit a bit lately. Ive been wrapped up in the TV show the Wire nonstop it seems.

I did take a ride with Gannon and my Exes dog Marlo (joint custody) down the cut and stacked a couple at that little park on the river. I havnt really done much lately but they turned out great. I just LOVE how the riverfront is coming along. Marlo found something very dead to roll in on the way (which kind of freaked G out) but I gave her a rinse in the new fountain on the river.

Twas a good day.

Thank you my Dear for missin me.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see you have returned! Whew - me and Bigb thought we'd lost you!

Oh that's funny - Marlo found something very dead to roll in! Can't blame Gannon for freakin' out tho'. That woulda been stinky!

BTW - besides your art of stacking rocks, what other art do you do? Are you a painter?

Gannon

Post Number: 13609
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't so much that I was freaked out, but that my diminished sense of smell could even catch this poor stanky mutt from so far away I just knew it was way worse close-up!

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wire is my favorite Television Drama of all time.

Django

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whew - me and Bigb thought we'd lost you!"

Funny you say that today of all days Erie. Private joke, Hopefully Gannon or I can explain it to you in person. LOL

Yeah, Marlo was stinkin real good. Cant blame Gannon for stayin away from her.

Mortgage, is the Wire not the greatest show? I just finished the episode where the big Chief was in the gay bar while Brother Mouz had his man lookin for Omar. All the twists just slay me. So many subtleties that mean so much.

Have you seen The Corner? sort of a precursor to the Wire.

Glad to be talkin to you all today. What a good feeling to have someone page you. Thank you all.

Oh yeah, Erie, Metal and photography have been my main mediums, I wish I could paint, or I should say, I wish I had tried.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the Chief in the gay bar really caught me by surprise... I didn't see that coming.

Django

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see some sweet revenge forming outta that scene, or his lifestlyle anyway, always being the hardass hes been. Hes such a prick. LOL. I slapped the couch arm when I saw him in there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.