Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Firefly Survey « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Citizen Science Project

Researchers are interested in distribution of firefly populations. Firefly Watch combines an annual summer evening ritual with scientific research.

- Join a network of volunteers.
- Observe your own backyard.
- Track your progress online and interact with fellow Citizen Scientists.
- Help scientists map fireflies.

Follow this link to the web site to participate in the survey:

https://www.mos.org/fireflywat ch

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is cool, I just started noticing fireflies in my yard a couple days ago. I signed up!

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw one.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill bet its all the rain weve had, They seem to be attracted to and thrive in moist climates. Ive had a bunch in my yard also the past week or so.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13279
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was sitting on one of my favorite Corktown porches just last night, and could NOT believe the abundance of these fascinating creatures.

It was beautiful, and a good sign that our ecology is way better than in my formative years. We used to have to go WAY north to see them, or way south to western Pennsylvania...where I saw my first ones as a child.

Htpscott82
Username: Htpscott82

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Harrison Township and have seen a couple over here. That's nothing compared to amount that I see west of Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County...there are lots out there!

Crystal

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an update from the Firefly Watch web site. Keep posting those sightings!

Greetings,

It is amazing how word of Firefly Watch has spread. A month before the project's April launch, I sent a notice to a handful of environmental organizations in Massachusetts. Now, we have firefly watchers in 38 states as well as Canada and Panama. As I write this update, there are 693 watchers who have registered their habitats.

How did so many people in so many places hear about the project? Mostly from you. Many of you have told your family and friends. Others have put notices on listservs or blogs. Thank you for all of your help in spreading the word and making this project a success.

However, we need your help once again. Although 693 watchers have registered their habitats, only 289 have entered data. Even if you don't see fireflies, we want to know. As with any project of this type, the more data we can collect, the more valid it becomes. So please take a minute to log in and send us your observations. If you are having trouble entering your data, drop us a line and we will help you through it.

Don Salvatore
Museum of Science
fireflywatch@mos.org

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw several myself last night too!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are all around my yard. Pans Labyrinth?
Creepy fairys.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 813
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I let my dog in one night and she walks into the living room where all the light are off except the TV, and I see this green glow in her mouth. The first thing I thought of was she got ahold of one of those glowsticks like the ravers used to put in their mouths. Anyone who read the exploits of my dog in the dog thread know she gets into things. So I open her mouth and she's got a firefly stuck between her front teeth, glowing away. Hilarious.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I signed up two days ago. I'll check in on the website tonight for my update. Had tons of them the other night.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw another one! Thats two now.

Crystal

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another update from the Firefly Watch web site:

Greetings,

There has been a lot of discussion about firefly flash colors. Many people, myself included, have difficulty distinguishing the color of the flash. So, I was not surprised when a few people here in Massachusetts reported seeing blue fireflies. There is such a firefly -- the Blue Ghost or Phausis reticulate -- but they are found only in the southeastern United States. These fireflies are tiny - about 1/4 inch in length -- and they glow continuously rather than blink.

As far as I knew, there were no blue fireflies in New England. While I was leading a night hike last week, one of the hikers claimed to see a blue firefly, but it turns out it was a yellow-green Photinus seen in the distance through the mist, making it appear blue. When asked, the other people I talked to who thought they saw a blue firefly have also seen it from a distance through the mist.

As always, if you haven't yet made observations in your habitat, please do.Our researchers want to know if you're seeing fireflies -- or not. All data is important!

Don Salvatore
Museum of Science
fireflywatch@mos.org

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty in the backyard tonight. But do I have to count them?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.