Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » What Are Some of Your Favorite Horror Movies? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2693
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love watching horror movies. I'm hardly frightened by them and all that gore puts me in a relaxed state of mind.

Do you have any recommendation of films you'd like to pass on? :-)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm more into suspense than horror I would say. What about "Cape Fear" - the one with Nick Nolte and Deniro. My fav. TV movie one is "Dark Secrets of Harvest Home" with Bette Davis. The tape or DVD can be found on ebay. I recently found one after searching for several years. Another one I like - I think the title is "Wait Till Dark" - I believe it's Audry Hepburn who plays a blind woman that is getting terrorized. Memory is failing me right about now! Oh, and the original "Psycho" - even though it is kinda tame when compared to today's stuff.

But if really, really horror type gory movies is what you like, I'm afraid what I mentioned won't relax you too much! :-)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5753
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked Vincent Price's Edgar Allan Poe movies from the 60s and the similar vampire movies of that time.

My all time favorite was a very cheesy 1961 3D movie called The Mask. The plot dealt with temptation, risk and an exploration of psychedelic ideas of the time. The 3D glasses given to the audience were actual masks which helped the audience identify with the main character. It must have been quite terrifying for some.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prince of Darkness. I still sleep with the light on after watching it. Scares the bejeebers out of me.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my younger days, the 1950 flick, "The Thing", scared the dickens out of me. I still enjoy watching the dumb movie on AMC.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dawn of the Dead. I enjoyed most of Romeros work but Dawn is by far the best IMHO.

Evil Dead II, smoke a little dumbass and you will be ROTF with this flick. The next instalment wasnt bad either. I cant remember the name of that actor Bruce Cambell I believe. I think hes from Ann Arbor. My ex knew him.

Gibson, son of a Django says
Creepshow is one of his favorites, which I also really liked. Im not a huge Stephen King fan but I LOVED his book The Stand (unabridged version please) but was totally bummed by the movie they made of it. It should have had a blockbuster budget. Gibby also liked Scream.

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the campy horror flicks of the 50's and 60's. Fiend Without a Face is my favorite about monsters that were a result of radiation. They looked like a flying brain and spinal chord that would wrap themselves around the victims neck and suck their brains out. There is an attack scene that reminds me of The Birds where they are trying to get in the house with boarded up doors and windows. Very entertaining, but the acting was questionable at best.

I also like the Vincent Price or Peter Cushing goth horror flicks of that era like Dr. Phibes, etc.

Spent many Saturdays watching all these with Sir Graves.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sixth Sense, and The Shining.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9276
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Premature Burial (1962)

That scene of the wine goblet filled with maggots disturbs me to this day.

My best friend and I were at a theatre on Fort Street on a Saturday, and when our parents didn't show up to pick us up after the double feature ended, we were terrified that we might have to walk to our Vernor/Springwells neighborhood by ourselves.

Still don't like horror films.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems pretty tame now, but the first time that I watched Race With The Devil starring Peter Fonda, Loretta Swit, Warren Oates, and Lara Parker at the Bel Air Drive-In in '75, with my stoned friends, we all thought it was a great horror movie afterwards.

I read the excellent short horror story "Prey", by Richard Matheson in Playboy Magazine, shortly before the storyline was included in the '75 movie Trilogy Of Terror, starring Karen Black.

(Message edited by Flanders_Field on July 06, 2008)

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wait Until Dark" is the only movie that ever really startled/scared me.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do You Like Scary Movies?

I LOVE horror movies, the slasher movies in particular.

I did like Night of the Living Dead. I actually liked the remake better than the original. Otherwise Psycho, Friday The 13th, and maybe Scream.

I also really liked all of the Saw movies (have yet to see the fourth one). Blair Witch Project was pretty neat too.

Hmmmm... I also like that "I Am Legend" movie, and the third Resident Evil movies. The zombie genre is pretty neat in general, I guess. I would like to see something set in current Detroit.

Nothing beats a couple of good scary movies, some fresh popcorn, and a cute date at the Ford and Wyoming Drive-In. You have to take her/him to a food Drive-In (like Daily's or Sonics). You have to go late too, so the place is kind of empty (hehe). Fall is best though. Every year it's kind of tradition to go to get our pumpkins, go to a haunted house, and then layout a blanket and carve them at the Ford and Wyoming Drive In.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

t

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7501
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hellraiser 1 and 2. 3 was terrible.

Phantasm, with the creepy morgue guy from another dimension.

Critters (1986)

Monster in the Closet. (1987) An absurd horror-movie parody. And wait a minute, isn't that Fergie? Yes, yes it is.

Django

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, I love that tradition you have, sounds like fun.

Austinjohn, Ive ALWAYS been wondering what the name of that movie was as I saw clips of it in a movie bout horror movies. Fiend Without A Face, Ill be ordering that through Netflix.

Blair Witch Project I loved also. It put me on the edge of the couch.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for The Tingler as well!! Scared the crap out of us at the old Rio Theatre on Vernor we all knew IT was under our seats!!

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Night of the Living Dead" (original). Sitting at the Fort George drive-in in my 68 Road Runner. My date (now my wife) closing her eyes through the best parts of the movie.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 70s TV movie, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (starring Kim Darby) scared me more than any of the big name thrillers.
Prince of Darkness was very freaky as was older stuff like Haunting of Hell House, the Changling and Trilogy of Terror. The latter three were all tv movies as far as I remember. I'm still trying to get my hands on a copy of Don't be Afraid of the Dark.....little gremlin creatures hauling Kim Darby down the steps and into the fireplace.....eeekkk!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both the original and remake of "The Thing" scare(d) me.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evil Dead
The Shining
Dawn of the Dead (Original)
Dead Alive

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Wicker Man movie

Suspira (Dario Argento)

Some of the Twilight Zone episodes: (the one with the Charlie McCarthy-like ventriloquist's dummy that gradually took him over was pretty good)

Some of the original Outer Limits episodes, esp the ones involving aliens.

Some of the Night Gallery episodes

(The one with the animated female china face doll with fierce daggerlike teeth was the best and scariest to me as a kid, because my mother had an upstairs bedroom that was next to mine, that was nearly filled with those types of dolls that she had collected) yikes!

Django

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lpg, Im not really a motorhead but I LOVED that car (Roadrunner) Was it stocked with the Hemi? What a great drive in date car, absolutely puuurfect. She obviously married someone with some taste.

Flanders_ I just saw that episode of the Twilight Zone recently, definitely a classic.

Im watching Signs right now on cable, MAN this movie is good, I especially loved the first time we get a look at the alien in the homemade mexican birthday party video. I JUMPED when that reptilian showed his face.

M. Knight has the market cornered, what a director. All his shit kicks my ass into thinking new ways. I love it.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are my top five. No particular order.
The Thing(original).
Salem's Lot(Stephen King TV movie).
Night of the Living Dead(original).
Invasion of the Body Snatchers(original).
Race with the Devil.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am reminded of the movie "Christine" - remember the one about the '58 Plymouth Fury? My friend had that model of car that we used to cruise around in.

She's the Devil Incarnate. She's Christine. Body by Plymouth. Soul by Satan.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the abominable Dr. Phibes tops my list.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hellboy 1
Hellhouse (the remake)
The Hunger (Susan Sarandan and Catherine Deneuve

)
And yes, Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One movie that stands out for me (not necessarily because it scared me) was "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Couldn't belive that movie was actually approved for production.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Shining. Redrum, redrum, redrum...

Here's Johnny!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked in the Penobscot Building and rode the bus back and forth I would read during my commute. No lie...this one day I was in the corner at the back of the bus reading The Shining on the way down Gratiot. I got to a scary part and I was so involved in the book - I actually screamed. Scared the passengers AND myself! Yeah, The Shining is scary.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5770
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea for "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and the ever popular "Destroy All Closets".

"The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" takes on new meaning after the recent salmonella scare.

(Message edited by jimaz on July 08, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7535
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

House. The movie, not the show.

Dan brought up Dead Alive. Horror movie, or absurd comedy? You be the judge.

To think the same man who directed that movie swept the Academy Awards for years on end with the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mosquito
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt01 13858/

Completely shot and produced in SE Michigan.
Starring Gunnar Hansen (of Texas Chainsaw Massacre fame), and the beautiful Rachel Loiselle, a native (and still) Detroiter, and one of my old theater collegues from high school days (I think she went to either Mercy or Marion).

It's super-low-budget, and is so bad that it's almost good. It's gained cult-status, and still occasionally airs on SciFi.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django: No, the 68 Roadrunner was a built 383 4 speed car. Sure wish I had it now.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Gone With The Wind" scares me for unknown reasons.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hammer Horror Movies from the late 50's up through the early 70's especially with Christopher Lee. The Scream 1-3 set which pokes fun at the genre of slasher flicks directed by Wes Craven who pretty much makes fun of himself. Nightmare On Elm Street Set and look for some top stars in them, Hellraiser, Magic was great with Anthony Hopkins, Halloween 1 and 2 and don't go beyond those as the cheese rises to the top from 3 on, Saw 1 and 2, The Bone Collector, The Haunting with Lili Taylor, Aliens(all of them), The House of Whipcord, The Fu Manchu Movies With Christopher Lee(He was always far scarier than Vincent Price), Whatever Happened To Baby Jane(Bette Davis torments Joan Crawford which made me very happy. Joan was a horrible woman and mother), The Hitcher, Any Horror flick with Billy Drago in it(He is so yummy), Vampyre(Richard Lynch--excellent version), Dracula(All of them), 1922's silent film Nosferatu will scare the beejeebies out of you and Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. You will always think before showering alone.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Monoliths.

One movie I've never been able to watch is, The Exorcist. No way, uh-uh freaks me out every time.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

surprisingly I really enjoyed the fairly recent version of "the mist" specially in black and white (DVD option). Newer movie w and old movie feel, just better effects and a twisted ending i LOVED. "pan's labrynth" is also a favorite although its kinda a fairy tale

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Child's Play
Lawnmower Man
Creature from the Black Lagoon
House of Wax (3-D version, 1953)
The Omen

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.