Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » The Shawarma « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7593
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went, I had it, and it is as awesome as described. Mrs. Lodge said she could smell the garlic coming out of my pores from all the way upstairs when I got home. My apologies to the other patrons at Cliff Bell's that night enjoying the Hot Club of Detroit CD release party.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well done, JL, well done. :-)

Can't wait to have another 2 or 4 next time I'm in town.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9376
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best buy in the CBD!

Four bucks and filling.

Love the garlic, good for the heart.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4267
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mrs. Lodge said she could smell the garlic coming out of my pores from all the way upstairs when I got home.

Honeymoon over already JL?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7594
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, she had worked all day and wasn't up for it. Next week I'll take her to Pegasus for the vegetarian platter and some OPA! to make up for it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4268
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nah, she had worked all day and wasn't up for it. Next week I'll take her to Pegasus for the vegetarian platter and some OPA! to make up for it.

I was trying to make a joke about you coming home stinky, but I guess I flopped.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is this place. Sounds awesome.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7595
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bucharest Grill inside of the Park Bar.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Byblos Shawarma on Palmer and Cass is better. Less stinky.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2934
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge: Did you get in to see the Hot Club of Detroit at Cliff Bell's? We couldn't make it as Dave got a last-minute gig, but we heard from our friends in the band that it was packed, SRO, and we heard of others who couldn't get in at all. Sounds like it was a terrific gig!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I've gotten in from the Lebanese Grill in Troy, and it's very good, as are the Shish Tawook and Shish Kafta.
I'll make a point of trying it at the Downtown spots

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7596
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we got there just as it reached capacity. We had to stand in line for about 15 minutes. Then we got in. By that time, the line was pretty long, and well into the second set the door guy said there were still people out there waiting to get in. We played musical tables as people would leave and ended up working our way to a decent table.

Islandman

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortgageking,

Less stinky will get you a punch in these here parts! :-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bucharest are good people

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just don't try and bring it on my airplane!

Jams

Post Number: 9386
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love garlic, nothing to do with my ancestors from Transylvania, just the fact it tastes so good in so many foods.

Jams

Post Number: 9387
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, not Banana pudding! :-)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen-

I am still holding you totally responsible for all this schwarma "mess".

I warned y'all that the stuff is like crack, it is so addictive! Enjoy, and I'm glad to see a Detroit business getting all the patronage that that place gets! Every time we go there the lines seem longer and longer......

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mea culpa...and I most humbly accept all blame and responsibility for keeping us DYes'ers happy and content and for giving the Bucharest Grill and The Park Bar some of our business! It's my pleasure!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7604
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And also for raising the stock value of Listerine Cool Strips.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

La Pita in Dearborn or New Yasmeen on the East End both have schwarma to die for...

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 757
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all of this garlic chat, I can't believe no one has preached the garlic crack sauce...

It'll ooze out of your pores with no apologies. Sorry I didn't have a chance to pick some up before heading to Fort Wayne over the weekend!

Cub, I'll bring some next time I come to the garden.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13427
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vampires citywide are crying in their crypts today...

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3263
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

G, leave Maroun and his ilk out of this ...

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got a carryout. OMG is it good.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NExt time, get extra pickle. I didn't think this sandwich could get any better til I tried extra pickle! yumm

Gannon

Post Number: 13467
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh darn.

I've always ordered mine MINUS pickle, plus peppers.

Thanks Alley.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 603
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes REL,Yes you do that. I have had the shakes since I ran out. What was the name of that store.

Tarkus

Post Number: 552
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just tried the Bucharest Schwarmma it has the pickled cabbage. YUM yum yum

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I will be working downtown starting next month, I must try this out. I loves me some garlic. YUM.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7632
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better give your co-workers fair warning! Or bring them back some too, so they won't notice.

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're assuming I'll like my co-workers, Johnlodge. ;)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmmm...Shawarma...slober...sl ober...I just love Mexican fuud.

Islandman

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like someone had a liquid lunch, then continued. :-)

Next time, fill up with with some delicious shawarma first!

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love my country. God Bless America!

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on July 17, 2008)

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 762
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet,

Please remove your last post. It:

A) Didn't contribute anything to the discussion, and
B) Was pretty offensive.

Thanks

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel,

A)That's not unusual for me.
B)To bad.

Your welcome

Fareast
Username: Fareast

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi...I'm new here.

Someone recommended New Yasmeen on the East End. I only know of the one on Warren near Shaefer. Is there a 2nd location? (wonderful food)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 819
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. The area of Warren and Schafer is known as East Dearborn, or East End.

Tarkus

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone had other things at Bucharest Grill? I see they have meatballs and schnitzels. Are they good?? Geting hungry for lunch and coworkers can't take the garlic.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Shawarma Salad" is more like a Fatoush Salad with Chicken. It's damn good, not as much garlic.

Gannon

Post Number: 13540
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot get away from ordering the Chicken Schwarma...but their curly fries kick it as well.

Nobody I know has ever been disappointed with their food there.

Of course, many of them have been imbibing the Park's excellent choice of Michigan-brewed beers at the time...heh...and laughing a lot.

Tarkus

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried the meatballs and the schnitzel. Don't order the meatballs yuck overcooked rocks. But the schnitzel was very very good.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.