Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Welcome to GP, Clint! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a little excitement in our otherwise quiet neighborhood today. Clint Eastwood and his entourage are 5 houses down the street and just around the corner filming ( both directing and starring in) his next movie, Gran Torino. The setting is in a home on the corner once owned by an attorney pal of mine who now resides in Troy.
You have never seen so many huge trucks,most with out-state license plates, equipment vans, cables, filming equipment etc. All this for a segment that only takes a few minutes in the long run? The streets are closed off, the neighbors have gathered and so far the odds are 10-1 that Clint is not wearing socks. He has not been seen since noon.
We have not had this kind of excitement since the Starbuck's collapse two days ago.
I was told by the local security guard that the movie is supposed to be released this December.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! I have to call my mother - she LOVES Clint! She's so funny - when my dad makes her mad, she refuses to do anything with him. Go any place - won't cook, won't do anything, but watch Clint Eastwood movies! Pisses him off every time! Just her way of getting even - LOL They are 79 & 80! :-) :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6975
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the Clint socks report, Rock. After all, it is boating season in the Pointes.

I can see your Buffy and Wellington in awe on their decorated bikes, hanging around to rub shoulders with Hollywood fame.

Rock, have you signed up as an extra, behind your lawnmower, next door?

jjaba.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5101
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe Woods, right?

interesting.

The_rock

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lund home where the filming was done, is in Grosse Pointe Shores.

I had hoped to be an extra in Somewhere in Time because of my Mackinac roots, but did not qualify as an extra in this movie as I never drove a Gran Torino.

The big film trucks finally left town around 7 PM yesterday, and I understand they are now headed over to Dexter Ave. to shoot another segment, something about a Gran Torino colliding with a negligent Dexter bus driver. I hope Clint doesn't tell him to "make my day."

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5104
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a Lund, but they live in the Farms.

Speaking of Somewhere in Time, I just rode my bike the other day past the commemorative plaque on the lakeshore of Mackinac Island where part of that film was shot.

It's nice to see so many films shot in Michigan again, and government incentives clearly paying dividends.

The_rock

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Mackinaw. It's Lundy, not Lund. I forgot the Y. There are two Lundy homes on Ballantyne Road, the larger was the parents' home at Ballantyne and Cook Road, and their son lives at Ballantyne and Deeplands where the filming was done.
I don't believe I have ever seen the commemorative plaque. Where is it located in relation to some fairly -well know spot,like the school, below the hotel, British Landing, Devils Kitchen etc? I believe they show the movie just about every evening at the Grand.
Have you ever seen the old black and white movie also filmed at Mackinac Island, " This Time for Keeps" starring Jimmy Durante and Ester Williams? We got to meet Ester at the 100th Commemorative gala of the Grand about 18 years ago.
And with that W in your handle, I gather you may have Mackinaw City roots?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6978
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw St. in Detroit, 48204, near Grand River and Joy Rd. Rock, get with the Detroit program.

jjaba on the Dexter bus.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6671
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you get Clint out for a ride on the Winsome?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, are your friends on Tonnacour?

The_rock

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, AIW, but Clint prefers a 64 foot Bertram over a 23 foot SeaRay.

jjaba--bugger off.

Bullet--There is a Lund living on Touraine Rd in the Farms.

There, I have covered all the bases.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.